Danganronpa 2 backporting Vita English translation to PSP (discussion)

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by reprep, Sep 2, 2016.

1. reprep
    OP

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    Hi,

First of all, thanks for your efforts and the editor.

I love PSP, it is cool, portable and stylish. Also a psp go can be used both as a portable and a home console thanks to the av out and ds3 connection. It is cheap and also the first game has a fan translation on it. These are the reasons i am trying to backport the translation.

If i can get this project to a playable state, it will need the user to have both vita english version and psp japanese version to apply the patch which is fair imho.

BusyBiscuit likes this.
  2. Shironekomaru69

Shironekomaru69 Member

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2016
    This is for those who still have their portable console but can't afford to play it in pc, not to mention buying it in steam. And this is one of those commendable efforts, unless you will be a villain who'll partake in giving them despair.

3. reprep
    OP

Jul 5, 2012
    New video up, hope you like it. Thanks to @ThunderGemios10 's tool and @Mikotolli helping me with it.

Please reach me if you know a way to make the font smaller. Font.pak file is in jp/font folder in data01.cpk and it can be unpacked with quickbms script i linked at first post.

RY0M43CH1Z3N, Lycanroc and MarcusD like this.
  4. Zander1995

Zander1995 GBAtemp Regular

Nov 11, 2015
    United States
    The font size is not completely the problem. Part of the problem seems to be that it's using full-width punctuation marks instead of variable width ones.

Now as to the font size, there are some discussions on the steam version talking about changing the font and the tools to do it, including sizing and resizing fonts.

reprep likes this.
  5. Objection!

Objection! Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 18, 2015
    OMG! Are you going to finish this project??? I'm so excited!

6. jijisama

jijisama Member

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2014
    Morocco
    @reprep man make it happen plz we have danganronpa and it's so good to the sequel in psp (just if you can i'm not order you or something) big respect to you man and the community

reprep likes this.
  7. reprep
    OP

Jul 5, 2012
    I dont work on this anymore, to be honest i dont think i can achieve more from what i already achieved even if i worked more. If anyone is interested in making this real, i can give some info (most of it is in the first post though) and that is it.

Tapatalk kullanarak iPhone aracılığıyla gönderildi

8. ak0ztik

ak0ztik Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 18, 2016
    zannen, i hope somebody will continue this.
    is there a pc version? but i dont like getting infront of pc my head aches after an hour staring.
    i've finished danganronpa 1, oh deym, what way to finish it, i wanna know what happens next.

9. Zander1995

Nov 11, 2015
    United States
    Yes there is an official PC release on Steam.

10. reprep
    OP

Jul 5, 2012
    Hi @SkyBladeCloud, i know you are busy but would you be interested in this? Script injecting from vita is ok.

11. SkyBladeCloud

SkyBladeCloud GBAtemp Fan

Oct 7, 2010
    I agree with @Zander1995 on this one: that's the ideographic comma in the text:

http://graphemica.com/、

You can see how its code is 0x3001 (the one you are using, which is stored as 0x0130 in L.E.). This sign actually contains a lot of empty space after it, you can go ahead and "select" it on the link above to see it for yourself: just look how much space some of them take, compared to the regular comma xD:

Code:
    、、、、、、、、、、||,,,,,,,,,,
    Now if the regular comma (0x002C, stored as 0x2C00 in L.E.) is not working, then the PSP font might not include one (this can be checked by decoding the font), so we would still need to edit it, potentially editing the width table too.
    For instance, both the width and the graphic of the currently used ideographic comma could be edited, to make it look like the one we are used too. I wouldn't edit any other character, just those that, like the comma, don't seem to be included in the PSP font: as far as I can see from your videos, using the right characters with the right width should be enough.. I guess... xD

~Sky

Last edited by SkyBladeCloud, Feb 6, 2017
    RY0M43CH1Z3N likes this.
  12. Zander1995

Nov 11, 2015
    United States
    Actually, it should already work because the font file pretty much has the character table built into it. It's why the PSP font file is partially if not completely compatible with the vita and steam versions of the game, which was tested on the Steam forums by one of the people who made the Danganronpa tools.

Last edited by Zander1995, Feb 7, 2017
  13. SkyBladeCloud

SkyBladeCloud GBAtemp Fan

Oct 7, 2010
    Alright so I've hacked the font. As expected, it contains not only bitmaps, but also encoding descriptors, which assign each font position to a code (UTF-8 in this case). The same file that contains the encoding descriptor contains the width/height table. I can see how most characters are 0x14 pixels height, and 0x10 pixels width. All of this is editable... Which is fine cos I don't see the regular comma anywhere around :P

~Sky

EDIT: Yeah, I've just seen that the encoding descriptor skips the UTF-8 code 0x2C, which is our "Western Comma", so yeah, an edition is in order. Time to check the font of the Vita version (not that we need it, I mean, even with my hopeless painting skills I could draw a comma here but still... it'll be fun xD).

EDIT 2: Sure enough, the Vita version does include a 0x2C entry in the encoding descriptor, which actually uses the exact same format as the PSP. Bitmaps, however, are compressed somehow. I'd say that, since the Vita uses a SGX543 as a graphic processor, it's PVR compression (and it actually looks like it... Yeah... that's right, I've never actually romhacked anything Vita related... I guess that... since I don't own one, and I'm not really interested in the catalog... I've never needed to look at any Vita game... xD).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited by SkyBladeCloud, Feb 8, 2017
    RY0M43CH1Z3N, Lycanroc and reprep like this.
  14. MarioMasta64

MarioMasta64 hi. i make batch stuff and portable shiz

Dec 21, 2016
    United States
    this. this is what ive been waiting for.

15. Zander1995

Nov 11, 2015
    United States
    Why not try the font from the fan translation of the first game? It should be mostly, if not fully, compatible and should include the Western comma character code since they used it. It would also include a full English version of the secondary font so you wouldn't have to worry about messing with that too much either.

16. Tikk

Tikk Newbie

Newcomer
    Feb 18, 2017
    Brazil
    there is no way to some finish the translation, right?

17. OuterHeavenJesus

OuterHeavenJesus Member

Newcomer
    May 6, 2017
    I still want to see this happen. I really can't contribute as I don't know anything about this line of work. But I would love to see Danganronpa 2 for PSP!

DarkRioru likes this.
  18. DarkRioru

DarkRioru reach for the stars

Aug 29, 2015
    United States
    looking up at the stars
    would it be easy to backport danganronpa 1 to its android only version? I really want to play it in english...

19. Zander1995

Nov 11, 2015
    United States
    The android version was made in Unity, so no, it wouldn't be easy.

DarkRioru likes this.
  20. DarkRioru

DarkRioru reach for the stars

Aug 29, 2015
    United States
    looking up at the stars
    all I want to do is take the english dubs (voices and dialogue) from the pc version and place it into the apk... is it possible without knowing anything about unity?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice