Cermage

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Damn Vulnerable Linux (DVL) is everything a good Linux distribution isn't. Its developers have spent hours stuffing it with broken, ill-configured, outdated, and exploitable software that makes it vulnerable to attacks. DVL isn't built to run on your desktop - it's a learning tool for security students.

The main idea behind DVL was to build up a training system that I could use for my university lectures. My goal was to design a Linux system that was as vulnerable as possible, to teach topics such as reverse code engineering, buffer overflows, shellcode development, Web exploitation, and SQL injection.

http://www.damnvulnerablelinux.org/

i found this quite funny. also a great learning tool IMO.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well this is sure to make a nice contrast to SELinux.

I will have to check this out though, I have spent far too long playing with consoles and electronics and I need to get back into this PC thing.

BoxShot

Chiyo-chan :3
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
mellow.gif
I found it quite funny for making something just to be cracked/hacked/exploited/... whatever the right term is.
Does sound like a great learning tool actually.

Skyline969

MENUdo Afficionado
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
This would be a great learning tool... I'll mention it to my instructors at the college I go to.

I couldn't believe it though, my one professor, when asked what he did on the weekend, casually replied that he hacked the Linux kernel (the latest one... for Ubuntu I think) via something to do with an exploit when division is performed. I think. I kind of don't remember because I was only awake due to the 2 Red Bulls I had drank earlier (it was midterm exam season). Still, for someone to casually hack the Linux kernel in his spare time is pretty cool.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou