Damn uTorrent...

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Livin in a box said:
I just completely buggered my router, but i've managed to get it up again. I'll never attempt to do the static IP thing again...
Sounds like you didn't bugger it at all then. Setting a static IP for your network adapter won't affect your router. Attempting to change port forwarding settings may but that is a separate thing.
The setting of a static IP for your local network adapter is pretty easy. I wouldn't give up so quick. If you stuff it up then you just set it to automatic (DHCP) and it should be back to how it was.

This is really the recommended route for setting up a torrent client or any network application that you want to have proper connectivity. First make your connection to the router static, then forward ports to that static IP address for your programs.

Hyperlisk_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
shtonkalot said:
OK, do what Hyperlisk_ said but use 192.168.0.1 in place of 192.168.1.1 for steps 8,10 and 12.

Hyperlisk_, right idea but the default IP for that router is just off. I think you could leave out steps 11 and 12 too..?
I was just going based off mine. My DSL modem is 192.168.0.1 and my router is 192.168.1.1, I use a Netgear router.

Steps 11 and 12 probably could have been left out, but like I said, just going off what I have
tongue.gif

shtonkalot

Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Livin in a box said:
How do you forward ports, anyway?
Just get your static IP working first and then go back a page or two and look for the links others have given you to instructions for your router on portforward.com

If you go through the thread I think all the answers have been given.

At the end of the day this may not help your torrent speed though. It will ensure that you have done all you can on your side to make it work (unless you have some dodgy firewall making things difficult).

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed somewhere you said you WON'T cap your upload speed.
You need to.

uTorrent has an option to cap uploads WHEN downloading something, then go to full speed when you aren't downloading anything.

uTorrent > Options > Preferences > Connection > Bandwidth Limiting
Make "Global max. upload rate" 10.
Then check "Alternate upload rate when not downloading" and make it 0.

Even if this isn't the cause of your current issue, it is just good torrent practice.
Just make sure you seed back at least as much as you've downloaded. ;>

Livin in a box

Livin' in a cardboard box
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
DeVante said:
You need to.

uTorrent has an option to cap uploads WHEN downloading something, then go to full speed when you aren't downloading anything.

Even if this isn't the cause of your current issue, it is just good torrent practice.
Setting it to 10 didn't do anything because it doesn't get so high, so I set it to 1 instead. Don't worry, I seed on everything that I download.

Hyperlisk_

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Livin in a box said:
DeVante said:
You need to.

Setting it to 10 didn't do anything because it doesn't get so high, so I set it to 1 instead. Don't worry, I seed on everything that I download.
I'm pretty sure if you set it low then it limits your download. At least on uTorrent 1.6.1 it does. With 1.6.1 if your upload is lower than 6KB/s then it limits your download.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Hyperlisk_ said:
I'm pretty sure if you set it low then it limits your download. At least on uTorrent 1.6.1 it does. With 1.6.1 if your upload is lower than 6KB/s then it limits your download.

It does ... hence my comment yesterday QUOTEtry this .. cap yer upload speed to just 6kb and set download speed to 0 or max uploading will slow downloading
smile.gif

Livin in a box

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
8v8t8r said:
did you change the port in utorrent to the port that you just forwarded?
I forwarded a range of ports, and the uTorrent port was in that. So yes, I did. It's a little quicker, probably about 1kb/s.

@Hyperlisk_:
I'm on uTorrent 1.7.7 (i don't like 1.8) but the higher the upload speed goes, the lower the download speed goes.

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
how many seeds and peers do your downloads have?? MORE SEEDS + PEERS = faster download .. you will find a lot of the time downloads from torrent search engines etc tend to be poorly seeded or have a lot of people that download but not seed back or not seed at all
frown.gif

Livin in a box

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@jalaneme:
I'm only 13, so it's not my choice, and my mother won't change it. She likes them, but I fail to see why she does. Everything about them is just...baad.

@kobykaan:
There are 205 seeds available and 1098 peers available.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse