Hacking Damaged lens by bad media?

Frankdj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Hey guys, I want to get some explanation about the issue mentioned in the topic title. I read on all those wii-modchip forums and topicboards that bad burned media (cheapass dvd-r for example) will reduce the life of the lens within the Wii. But can somebody explain me how this is possible,

I read that bad media have a low quality reflection from the laser inside the dvd player, which makes it harder for the lens to read the reflection (so that's the reason Nintendo pressed their dual layer disks by using gold with reflects more than the usual silver).To in that sense, I understand that the lens had a harder time reading the signals, but how in earth can this affect the lifetime?

Viictoriio

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
It's all about effort and stress. Compare it with people... people that live with a whole lot of stress live less longer than people that can relax.
smile.gif

The reason for this is that the laser has to work harder with bad media in a very short time and hence the noise and the shortened life as it puts more stress on the laser and motor assembly.

In other words, it's a fact that in general you laser will not live as long as it would when using better media... however, is a Verbatim as good as the original Nintendo disk? Probably not, so an intersting question is:

How many reading hours can a Wii laser make on average when using Verbatim DVD-R discs only, before it completely dies?

pepo_murdoc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
i have this same problem. my lens died, i tried all my 93 games and nothing. i bought the wii lens but i don´t now how to change it. i saw a good tutorial telling how to fix the POT, but don´t say how to change the lens. i´m posting here so i don´t have to create another topic. i need this because here where i lived don´t have any tecnician that changes the lens.

mark187

Trophies
XP
Country
Lasers dying quicker due to backup disks is just an urban legend. There's already a huge thread about this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo