Dai Gyakuten Saiban to be localized officially as The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles

F5860995-F56F-4D0B-AAC0-5B50F5E755E2.jpeg

Years after the games’ original releases on the Nintendo 3DS, Capcom is finally ready to bring the two Dai Gyakuten Saiban games over to the west. Set to package the two previously Japan exclusive games, The Ace Attorney Chronicles will see an official translation and localization of The Great Ace Attorney and The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve. Both titles take place in the same universe as other Ace Attorney games, but these are set in the 20th century. Fan translation projects have been in the works for years now, with the first game being entirely playable start to finish in English. The official translation will launch on July 27th, for PC, Nintendo Switch, and PlayStation 4, priced at $39.99. A physical copy will be available, but will be limited to the Switch platform.

Get ready to cross-examine your opponents and reason your way to justice in The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, releasing for the first time in North America and Europe on July 27.Announced today in a video message by Shu Takumi, Director of the Ace Attorney series, the collection tells the story of an ancestor of Phoenix Wright, the protagonist of the iconic Ace Attorney courtroom adventure series. In The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles, players take on the role of a defense attorney to track down evidence, argue in court and ensure a just ruling. Featuring newly recorded English voices, The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles includes The Great Ace Attorney: Adventures and The Great Ace Attorney 2: Resolve, both previously only available in Japan. The collection will be available for MSRP $39.99 on Nintendo Switch™, PlayStation®4 computer entertainment system and Steam. A digital bundle featuring both The Great Ace Attorney Chronicles and Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy is available on Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 and Steam for MSRP $59.99.

:arrow: Source

SkittleDash

Head Nurse
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
It is a little weird that it's not coming to Xbox considering the Trilogy is. I mean, I'm not bothered by it as I'll probably get the PC version. But still, weird.

boots_n_cats

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
For a second there I thought they would have the nerve to make this a PS4 exclusive. I was thinking some day I was going to have to figure out how to get the 3DS or Android version working with the fan translation.

Of course, there's no way I'm paying forty bucks for this, but I still have a whole bunch of Phoenix Wright games I never got around to playing, so I can wait for the Inevitable Steam Sale.

(Wouldn't it be hilarious if this suddenly became an Epic exclusive..?)

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
They've worked around the IP issues by renaming a certain character "Herlock Sholmes". No telling what the original name might have been.

Oh yeah btw, you guys remember the reason they would give for not localizing these? Sherlock Holmes and issues with using that name. So in the trailer it shows them calling him Herlock Sholmes.
That sounds iffy. The character Sherlock Holmes is in the public domain, you can use him in other works.
Maybe they are using the character of the original Herlock Sholmes :P

Reactions: VinsCool

Rahkeesh

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sherlock Homes is not fully public domain, The Arthur C. Doyle estate has copyright claims on his later works featuring the character, and has used them to successfully sue other commercial media.

In case the joke was lost on people, Ace Attorney has always been set in Tokyo but the localization team decided to translate as if it was in L.A. and replace a ton of Japanese pop references with American ones. That's a much heavier lift with this game because the whole point of it is Japanese protagonists coming to Britain before WWII and all the culture clash that goes with that. It looks like they are just playing it mostly straight this time, using the original Japanese names, and even keeping Natsumei Souseki as a character in one of the cases (although really if there's any Japanese novelist known outside of the country it should be him...)

Last edited by Rahkeesh,

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Sherlock Homes is not fully public domain, The Arthur C. Doyle estate has copyright claims on his later works featuring the character, and has used them to successfully sue other commercial media.
Yes, the post-Reichenbach Falls stories. They retain the right to those stories and adaptations. They also argued that they own the copyright to the character traits that Holmes develops in the later works, like "being nice" and "showing emotion" but those claims didn't hold up in court.

However the character and name of Holmes, and the elements of the pre-Reichenbach Falls stories, can be used in other works.

I guess they are just playing it safe.

Deleted member 514389

GBA Connoisseur
Trophies
Website
f.ls
XP
Country
Germany
Looks like that leak was spot on.

Not bad. Looking forward to it, good thing I haven't finished DGS1 yet.

They've worked around the IP issues by renaming a certain character "Herlock Sholmes". No telling what the original name might have been.

Ah right...
Especially ludicrous since HS is an actual a real character too...

I'm wondering what they'll do with 4, 5 and 6.

Probably bring em too, depending on sales of this and the trio.

Aside from 4 I can't even go back to the other two...
Somehow they don't have the same /draw/ of the triology...
(Albeit 6 still was super well executed)

Now that I think about it... That scenario writer left sometime last year (?). Wonder what'll happen to any future entries.

Also... What if GhostTrick...

Last edited by Deleted member 514389,

Deleted member 532471

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh god, i hope this doesn't meant the fan translation is cancelled
I like their accessible accent free version and i can play it on 3ds

the official localization is done by alpha plus, i got PTSD from their dragon quest 4 DS translaton
for the longest time I thought the game text was being shuffled and randomized as some kind of anti piracy protection
guessing my way through chapter one was harder than it was in the jp version

edit:
( still going to support the official release, obviously, but it's much more convenient for me to have it on 3ds )

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...