Hacking D2Ckey - Innovative placement?

Frankdj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
As you all know D2Ckey cannot be updated, however when Super Mario Galaxy was released the D2Ckey was the only chip that had no problems with this game while the older Wiikey's got detected by the game console. The reason for this might be the placement of the D2Ckey chip (which differs from other chips, check their website for more info).

My question is: Does this different placement of the chip provide enough safety that it can remain undetected in the future (no updating needed), or was the the fact that they remained undetected for SMG just a lucky shot and they will be detected in the future? Are there some technicians who know the answer?

manias

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
as far as I know we still can't see the future..
tongue.gif
(and afaik we don't know for sure the d2ckey is not updatable, do we? they don't mention it specifically on their site)

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What makes the D2CKey work against the SMG copy protection is the way it modifies data. It does it in a non-conventional way as far as Wii drive-chips are concerned right now. Nintendo really barely knew the D2CKey existed. It may take a while for them to figure out how to block the D2CKey. Especially considering the D2C was supposed to be un-moddable. :-P

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
So far SMG is the only one with that security. My guess is that major first party titles will have it from now on (like Brawl for sure). It's a pretty simple security check though, I'm sure it'll be implemented in third party games as well in the not so distant future.

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
My question is: Does this different placement of the chip provide enough safety that it can remain undetected in the future (no updating needed), or was the the fact that they remained undetected for SMG just a lucky shot and they will be detected in the future? Are there some technicians who know the answer?

No. Nothing is future proof and never will be.

What makes the D2CKey work against the SMG copy protection is the way it modifies data. It does it in a non-conventional way as far as Wii drive-chips are concerned right now. Nintendo really barely knew the D2CKey existed. It may take a while for them to figure out how to block the D2CKey. Especially considering the D2C was supposed to be un-moddable. :-P

Does it? In fact, not many people know how the D2CKey works. Myself included. Please define "Non-conventional way" without quoting useless "info" from the official website.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All I'm really going on is what I have read on their site and other sites concerning Wii drive-chips.
The D2CKey actively monitors data coming in and out and automatically patches it with the needed information. Most drive-chips simply inject the code needed to boot copied games then just shutdown. They have no way of patching the address and data buses if something like the SMG protection comes through.

Frankdj

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Thnx for the replies, the way I interprete the things I read here is that the D2Ckey isn't as vurnerable for being detected as other modchips... and that the lack of updating should not be such great deal as other people suggest

arctic_flame

GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
All I'm really going on is what I have read on their site and other sites concerning Wii drive-chips.Â
The D2CKey actively monitors data coming in and out and automatically patches it with the needed information. Most drive-chips simply inject the code needed to boot copied games then just shutdown. They have no way of patching the address and data buses if something like the SMG protection comes through.

No. You can actively inject data into the drive over the Top secret serial port. Think Erant's DVDTool

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM