D2A drive type. Can I mod?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by your_second_mum, Dec 5, 2007.

Dec 5, 2007
  1. your_second_mum
    OP

Newcomer your_second_mum Member

Canada
    ok, I've determined that I have a D2A drive with http://nintendo-scene.com/wiitracker/. A friend of mine has told me that that is a bad thing. He says that if I mod it with the wiikey I bought my drive will burn out something quick. I've tried looking around at forums and I couldn't find anything that says that's the case or that it's not the case, which is why I'm asking here. As far as I know D2A and D2B and DMS are all good with wiikey and nothing will mess up, but I want to be sure.

2. zosh

Newcomer zosh Advanced Member

Did he by any chance continue with "You better give it to me fast before it burns down your house, I'll give you a Dreamcast in exchange"? Just guessing ...

(Yes, your friend is talking bullhockey.)

3. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    He's actually right but not neccesarily. Launch wii chipsets have been known to be prone to laser failure. So you will be more likely to need to change your laser in the future as opposed to other chipsets. A laser is like $35 though I think I've seen 'em for.

4. arctic_flame

Member arctic_flame GBAtemp ATMEGA8 Fan

United Kingdom
    DMS launch day UK Wii is going as strong as ever. Any case studies of laser failure or just rumours?

5. taggart6

Member taggart6 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I have a launch Wii NTSC modded with wiikey.

no problems here for me and I play my wii pretty regularly

6. your_second_mum
    OP

Newcomer your_second_mum Member

Canada
    A laser is $35? Where? I saw 'lens's on divineo, they were $45 though.
    But yeah, if that's my only concern... I guess I'll mod away. [​IMG]

7. Bob Loblaw

Member Bob Loblaw Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!

United States
    yeah 45 isnt bad. i think the 35 ones were on ebay..

The issue is Reflection Rates. To summarize, a brand new original retail PS2/XBOX/Wii game of the DVD variety is not burnt, they're "pressed". These carry the highest Reflection Rate, often just posted at 100%. Everything else compares against it. Now then, the single best quality DVD-R media available today will give you roughly 60% of the reflection rate of that original... 60%, that's all. And it goes steadily downhill from there. Crappy media hovers in the 40-50% range.
    So, as the laser fades, guess what the first things are that won't read? Backed-up copies.
    And for whatever reason the launch wii's have been dying quicker. I'ts been reported on multiple boards..

heh to the people saying "i have a launch wii and it still works"..Just because you have a launch wii that still works doesn't mean too much. Some people still have launch 360's that still work. It doesn't mean the 360 doesn't fail.

I've had 2 wii's. a dms and a d2b. the dms after a couple months started to sound like a truck. i knew it was going to crap out any day so i sold it..bought a d2b..