Cyclowiz Trimmer?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by khan, Jun 27, 2007.

Jun 27, 2007

Cyclowiz Trimmer? by khan at 8:22 AM (2,392 Views / 0 Likes) 10 replies

1. khan
    OP

Member khan GBAtemp Maniac

Pakistan
    Hi,

I was wondering if someone with R4 & two DS's would test to see if ROMs trimmed with Cyclowiz trimmer would have any positive effects on download play for when running on R4 DS since it seems to not trim any code relating to Download Play?

Testings on previously not working download play games R4 would really be appreciated.

Thanks

-To Mods

Could you please change Cyclowiz for CycloDS Evolution. Thanks

2. Ad_Enuff

Member Ad_Enuff GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    You can try it yourself, why don't you download SkinnyROM v1.2 and play with the number bytes left after the end of the rom and then play the game to see if download play works.

3. khan
    OP

Pakistan
    Well to start with, I do not have 2 DS's or 2 R4's hence why I kindly requested someone to test it.

4. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Do you mean that thing that some user made that only deleted FF-blocks or something? The roms didn't work anymore on my M3 Simply at all... I used two unflashed DS's.

5. khan
    OP

Pakistan
    Team CycloDS Evolution released a tool that trimmed ROMs but at the same time it would not delete necessary code for download play to work 100%.

I was wondering if using that tool, we R4 users might also take advantage as many games are broken on R4 in that regard i.e. NSMB, MKDS and others.

6. Ad_Enuff

United Kingdom
    Your right that it does make a difference as to IF download plays on a DS or not, but when your talking about download play on the R4, the R4 devs haven't finished working on the code that cures this problem...well yet!

According to the GBAtemp news team, they informed us that they are currently working on this major drawback and should release a new kernal/firmware in a month or so maybe longer.

SkinnyRom is no worse than CycloDS's trimmer. The only reason why the CycloDS works with download play is that the CycloDS team have worked out how it works.

At the moment keep watching the news updates here at GBAtemp and check at the WHAT'S NEW log next release.

7. faiyez

Newcomer faiyez Member

Costa Rica
    Wait a second.... does the trimmer on the official R4 site make download play impossible?

8. Ad_Enuff

United Kingdom
    The download on the Official R4 website is slightly different to the one that came on my CD with my R4.

The thing is its well known that over trimming can stop Wi-Fi game play....there has been some suggestion that the R4 trimmer over trims.

Other rom trimmers do actually make room for the extra amount on Wi-Fi games so that this doesnt interfere with download play. At the moment however, the R4 just doesn't have FULL download play support.

...but they are working on it right now....

9. faiyez

Newcomer faiyez Member

Costa Rica
    does trimming affect multi-card play at all?

10. ZeWarriorReturnz

Banned ZeWarriorReturnz Banned

United States
    Nope.

11. bobrules

Member bobrules GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada