Cyclowiz or Wiikey

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Digeman, Mar 20, 2007.

Mar 20, 2007

Cyclowiz or Wiikey by Digeman at 8:27 PM (1,264 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Digeman
    OP

Member Digeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sweden
    Hey guys! Well i'll just make it short and simple, should i buy a wiikey for 45 euros or a cyclowiz for 30 euros? The real thing that annoys me with cyclowiz is that you gotta have a switch to be able to update and i'm also conserned about the cyclowiz teams slow updates. And the main factor about the wiikey that's troublesome is the price. So what would you choose and why? Any help is really apreciated guys! [​IMG]

Edit: 300th post! WOOHOO!! [​IMG]

2. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    For 15 euros you don't need to install a switch that might jolt your Wii drive with 12.5 volts frying a fuse that is a pain in the ass to replace,.

3. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    Whoa [​IMG] Guess it's the Wiikey then [​IMG] Oh but i have noticed lots of wiikey problems on the forums lately [​IMG] Anything serious that should be taken into consideration?

4. Renegade_R

Member Renegade_R Audio/Video Expert

Canada
    WiiKey problems are attributed to idiots who can't solder properly. I ordered my WiiKey from Divineo and I have NO soldering experience but I managed to do it properly. Personally, I think the quality of the WiiKey is top notch...just don't give it a static jolt or you'll kill it (ie...work on hard wood floors plz)

Yes there are a few WiiKeys that are DOA...but remember the people who get their's done right, say nothing, people who get problems cry out. There are so many WiiKey's sold and the chances of getting one DOA is far less than the CycloWiz.

piece of advice, use wires to solder the WiiKey, if it really is DOA, you can just cut the wires off the chip instead of desoldering the board.

5. g.crow

Member g.crow beide mittelfinger hoch

United States
    ive never heard anything about DOA cyclowiz, so on what is your statement based?
    i dont like teamcyclops for their false promises, but now everything is fine.
    and the switch makes sure you cant update the chip without it, means if nintendo wants to (which i doubt) they can render your wiikey useless with an update.

@digeman: wiikey is your choice

mars77

6. corbs132

Member corbs132 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    wiikey ftw!

7. Digeman
    OP

Sweden
    Okey you've guys have made it a hellofalot more clear to me what to choose! [​IMG] I think Wiikey is the one then [​IMG] Thanks for the help guys!

Edit:
    Hah especially that, it was a real dealbreaker [​IMG]

8. xbandaidx

Member xbandaidx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Just curious, as I'm currently in the market for a wii modchip as well, but why did you not consider the Wiinja or am I out of the loop about something bad with the Wiinja here?

After reading around, I'm straying a bit away from cyclowiz and looking at Wiikey, but anyways just wondering.

9. sdoc96

Member sdoc96 Creaky Old Stiff Member

Australia
    I'm extremely happy with my Wiinja V2. Simple and works beautifully. Nothing wrong with it IMHO.

10. kristijan08

Member kristijan08 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    wiikey over wiinja, wiinja over cyclowiz

definately go the wiikey !

11. xbandaidx

Member xbandaidx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I'm seeing more information about Wiikey on this forum and whatnot, I haven't found anything bad about it yet. I do like taking comfort in know it is upgradable, if it weren't I wouldn't even consider it, I don't need a possible bricked system in the future especially since its still virtually impossible to find a wii in stores around here, even controllers.

I also like the sound of quicksolder, as I have no experience. However I'm probably gonna have my older sisters boyfriend do it as he's more handy with these type of things. Plus 40 bucks for a wiikey isn't that bad really... I remember when they used to be insane in prices back then.

12. arthurkok2

Member arthurkok2 GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    you should go build a OpenWii chip, its cheap and development is constant.