Cyclowiz Defects - Official Announcement

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Warm Woolly Shee, Feb 15, 2007.

Feb 15, 2007
  1. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    http://teamcyclops.com/news.html

02/15/2007

Important Announcement

It has come to our attention that a limited number of Cyclowiz units from the latest batch have an issue which will disable functionality. Due to a problem at the PCB factory, the A, B and C points of the CycloWiz are connected together. Unfortunately, some of them were already shipped to customers. All customers should verify that they do not have one of the affected Cyclowiz before installing their chip.Please refer to our identification guide below.

We offer a free replacement for each defective unit through our retailer network. Should you have a defective unit, please contact your retailer to arrange replacement immediately.

Those who do not wish to wait for a replacement unit can try to fix the chip by themselves, should they so desire. We'll post a tutorial on how to do it tomorrow. Should you wish to try this method but are ultimately unsuccessful, we'll replace the chip even if it's damaged during the modification procedure.

We will also offer free replacements with D2B chipset support for people who have a D2B console and a CycloWiz from an the first batch which doesn't support D2B chipset. If your chip came in a branded CycloWiz ESD bag, it means that it already supports the D2B chipset.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to those affected. Customer satisfaction is very important to us, we'll make sure this kind of problem won't happen again. Should you have any questions, feel free to contact: tech@teamcyclops.com

[​IMG]

2. ron555

Member ron555 GBAtemp Fan

This is why I'm waiting for a non-solderless region-free mod chip that doesn't have 50,000% markup.

3. xiaNaix

Member xiaNaix GBAtemp Fan

United States
    At least they did the right thing and are recalling them. I suspect most people with the bad chips will just contact whoever sold it to them and exchange it for a Wiikey anyway. [​IMG]

4. elomaniak

Member elomaniak GBAtemp Regular

Poland
    is this just a 1 % error or may this have caused the game problems with pal wiis?

5. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I suppose that MC is putting their usual spin on this.

6. xiaNaix

Member xiaNaix GBAtemp Fan

United States
    This has nothing to do with the errors in games. Hundreds, maybe thousands of chips were shipped with shorts between the connections so they will not function at all. There have reports for several days from users who were having install problems (flashing LED, etc.) and this was probably the issue.

And, yes, MC has tried to put a positive spin on this as usual. Saying that this shows CycloWiz' great customer support. This is not "support" this is "damage control." A disaster of epic proportion.

7. lenselijer

Member lenselijer GBAtemp Maniac

Netherlands
    and again i'm glad to have bought the wiinja, the simpler the chip, the less can go wrong [​IMG]

8. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Not owning either but having read all the news/posts, it's clear Wiinja was the right chip to get for early adopters.

9. splattered

Newcomer splattered Member

United States
    My chip should be showing up soon... in a week at the most. Hope it wasnt in the bad batch.

Stupid early modchips.

*grumble*

10. brpn

Newcomer brpn Advanced Member

United States
    just got 4 in monday.. didnt see anything like that.. they work

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    If you soldered one of those faulty chips will it stop it from working or will just not be able to disable it. Is this a big problem or just a tiny one?
    Mines defective but im gunna get the guy whos installing it to have a go at cuttin the parts which make it short. all u need is a file or a small knife.

12. buzzlightyear

Newcomer buzzlightyear Member

Good luck if you quicksoldered it. :S

13. movaado

Newcomer movaado Newbie

United Kingdom
    It just stops it from working, doesn't damage it. The LED on it will just flash.

I had one just like it, I did look at the contacts before I soldered it and though they were a little close! Removed the shorts with a scalpel and it now works [​IMG]

14. flai

Member flai Androgynous Apparently :)

United Kingdom
    Checked mine, its fine. And I'm still glad I picked Cyclowiz, its upgradable therefore future proof. Wiinja isn't and thats why I didn't buy it.

15. Mario81

Newcomer Mario81 Newbie

Germany
    @flai: Yes and havent anyone looked up what team cyclops has to say today ???

02/16/2007 (Read yesterday's post for an important announcement)

It has been reported that some current generation mods suffer from the old "Idle Disc Read Error (DRE)" bug that was frequent in early badly designed GC modchips. Some people wrongly concluded that it could be the case with CycloWiz, but fortunately it just can't be, and here is why.

The Wii drive, unlike GC drive, is aware of standard DVD format. Standard DVDs can be read by any Wii (yes, an official DVD player is in theory possible) but as a protection mean some commands used by games are disabled when a standard DVD is inserted.

CycloWiz job is to re-enable those commands. Unlike some other mods, CycloWiz lets the original Wii firmware handle every aspects of DVD reading. In fact, CycloWiz is probably the only chip on market that doesn't use bitsetting at all. That way, no continuous patching is needed and no desynchronisation can occur. As soon as the disc starts spinning, CycloWiz becomes transparent (you could even remove it!), it's all in the drive's hands.

We won't say that it's impossible to get a DRE with CycloWiz due to media. Simply use a good burner with good media and and you'll never have to worry about DRE. We are also aware of an unrelated deterministic DRE problem with three PAL games. We will provide an upgrade correcting this issue in a couple of days, along with some surprise features [​IMG]

and here the link !!! xxx.teamcyclops.com/news.html

now im fine with my decision to by one hehe [​IMG]

16. jaxxster

Member jaxxster The Heretic

United Kingdom
    ok, i had a faulty cyclowiz, the guy who installed it (great man btw, he came round and done a great job) he just used a scalpel to cut the gold bits and then scraped them opf complety and then he also cut some traces on the front and scraped the lil circles and soldered the wires to there. Beautiful job, wired installed with a nice lil switch sticking out the bottom. Works fine, played mario kart double dash for an hour and it works perfect.