imperfectimage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey Everyone,

I am a new member, and this is my first post ^.^ I have just recently discovered flash cards, and being the picky consumer that I am, cannot decide between the AceKard 2 and the CycloDS. From what I've researched (hours upon hours), the CycloDS seems to be highly praised. However, from what I can understand, the AceKard RPG is on par with CycloDS, and therefore, the AceKard 2 is on par with CycloDS also since the only thing missing from the RPG is the 1GB internal memory and the USB port. Other than that, there really isn't much information on the AceKard 2. Anyone care to take a stab at comparing the two?
smile.gif

amemoryoncelost

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
if you want to buy now, the cyclo has a history of updates and new features. The acekard isn't even out yet is it? Everyone here is going to say you should get the cyclo. The only reason I would get the acekard is in case nintendo ever does anything to prevent carts like the cyclo or carts the use a memory card from working, rather than ones that use internal data.

There have been a thousand threads like this, you will be convinced to buy the cyclo, good luck finding one right now though

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Acekard 2 is what's called a "budget card" It's only made for Homebrews and Games, and nothing else. The reason why the Acekard R.P.G was so popular was because it was "open-sourced" Meaning it's firmware or updates can be made or changed by the user, if they know how things work. Acekard 2 is closed sourced, so you can't mess with it's firmwares and stuff.That's the main reason why people got the RPG.

While CycloDS has features like Realtime save, Slowmo, and a few others coming in, it's one of the best, feature wise. Also, the support from the Cyclo team is great. They actually listen to their customers opinions, and reply directly.

In conclusion, Cyclo is EASILY better. It's like comparing a 100 dollar bill to a 10 dollar bill.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
amemoryoncelost- It is out. PSXBoy and bamboogaming have AK2 in stock. Owners posting in AK forums too.
ojsinnerz- I don't think "proposed" features should factor in on ones flashcart choice. Besides running Homebrew, Commercial ROMs and media from moonshell what does Cyclo (or any flashcart) do? And your right, there are a lot of Cyclo fanboys right now who would praise TC and everything they do.

Nobody here really knows what AK2 is or is capable of. It just hasn't been out long enough to make a good comparison. If you want a cart that has been out a while (although opinion of the cart has changed drastically from when it came out), has a fairly large community of fellow owners and has had regular updates thus far get the cyclo.

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As everyone else has said...there really aren't going to be any good comparisons coming from people right now since the AceKard 2 hasn't picked up much steam, yet. It does look pretty good...and if the "budget" price is right I could see it being a viable alternative to the CycloDS (which is currently the card I would buy if I had to only own one).

My concern is that the "budget" price it'll get tagged with will be at R4 levels. In that case, you will generally only save about $10.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd imagine that Acekard will also keep comparable features that MAY be developed for the RPG off of the AK 2, as to do otherwise would lower the perceived value of the RPG. i.e. they will HAVE to differentiate between the RPG and 2 some how or they WILL kill their much higher profit margin RPG sales. The RPG is insanely priced anyways IMNHO for what features it has, and what it costs to manufacture and distribute. (The Evolution is a little pricey as well, but at least some of the TC guys seem to be native English speakers or incredibly fluent in English unlike ANY other cart makers, so that is worth the somewhat higher price to me. Plus they HAVE been responsive over the last couple of months.)

So, it will come down to features that you want, and the price that you are willing to pay.

imperfectimage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So would it be safe to say that the AceKard 2 will NOT be like the AceKard RPG (or it would kill the RPG sales), and that the RPG is just an overpriced equivalent to the CycloDS Evo? The only difference would be the open source (don't really kow what this means...outside of typing and searching, i'm very computer illiterate
wtf.gif
), and the internal memory? But the CycloDS would then be better overall due to the price and the better support it gets?

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be my guess, but only info from Acekard could tell for sure OR waiting a while to see what they do with the firmwares.

I'm kind of inclined to believe that they'll keep features off of the AK2, and also remember that the AK2 firmware is NOT open source which would tend to support my keep the features of the RPG off of the AK2 theory.

imperfectimage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ok, I have a feeling that I should go with the CycloDS. May I bring up another question? Can anyone tell me about realhotstuff? It says they are out of the CycloDS, but if I try to order, while I be stuck in a waiting list from here to Mars? I tried emailing them, but they don't seem to be too good with customer service (although I read that they're shipping is extremely fast). So yeah, if I order and pay for it right now, although they're announcement says that it will be in on the 23rd, while I just get stuck in line?

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Use realhotstuff.com and don't look back. I recommend them highly. I purchased both of my current cards from them. Both arrived in two days via USPS Priority Mail.

DespizingU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
imperfectimage said:
ok, I have a feeling that I should go with the CycloDS. May I bring up another question? Can anyone tell me about realhotstuff? It says they are out of the CycloDS, but if I try to order, while I be stuck in a waiting list from here to Mars? I tried emailing them, but they don't seem to be too good with customer service (although I read that they're shipping is extremely fast). So yeah, if I order and pay for it right now, although they're announcement says that it will be in on the 23rd, while I just get stuck in line?

I'm sure they would send your Cyclo as soon as they get their next batch. And they usually reply to emails within 24 hours, and since you made this post yesterday, you've probably gotten a reply by now.

I've been using them for over year now, with over a dozen orders made, they are the absolute best. Go with them.

johnchan

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
imperfectimage said:
...and that the RPG is just an overpriced equivalent to the CycloDS Evo?
I wouldn't say that. The Acekard RPG is lacking most of the features that make CycloDS special, and in most cases where it has comparable features they are implemented poorly on Acekard RPG. CycloDS is in a league of its own.

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
johnchan said:
imperfectimage said:
...and that the RPG is just an overpriced equivalent to the CycloDS Evo?
I wouldn't say that. The Acekard RPG is lacking most of the features that make CycloDS special, and in most cases where it has comparable features they are implemented poorly on Acekard RPG. CycloDS is in a league of its own.

Not too much of a fanboy are we? But you are right- The RPG has 1GB internal NAND memory, which is not a feature of the Cyclo. Nearly every card has a unique feature set. If you're only looking for a card that does what a cyclo does, then get a cyclo. Seems obvious. But I think the SCDS1 is pretty close feature-wise to the CycloDS.

imperfectimage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I am probably going with the CycloDS from RealHotStuff. A couple of minor last questions were: I ordered 4GB micro SDHC card from kingston, will that have any problems? I have also been reading cards have an effect on how the flashcart will work. And secondly, at first, white = very first batch to come out. And then black was made. So does that mean white still uses the same cartridge design (that people have been complaining about) or have they now fixed it so that the two colors should only differ by the colors and not the make of the hardware? And thanks everyone for commenting. There are so many flashcarts out there that I don't want to buy one that I will regret (with forums of carts bricking DS or not working the way it should and whatnot).
yaynds.gif

sk3tch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're ordering from RealHotStuff.com you have no worries about getting an "old" batch. Anything purchased after January 1st, 2008 will be new. I bought mine from RHS last month and it was new batch.

The Kingston 4GB microSDHC will probably be good. They make good cards. A-DATA is cheaper and the fastest (in 4GB microSDHC)...but personally I recommend getting a 1GB or 2GB microSD (not HC) because it uses less power and will help with battery life. If you don't care about battery, though...no biggie.

imperfectimage

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yaynds.gif
Ok, I ordered a white CycloDS from Real Hot Stuff. I hope it is true that Real Hot Stuff carries the newer batch in white (since I've read so many people post bad reviews about the 1 white batch). Other than that, I'm pretty happy (except for the whole waiting until they get their new shipment). Thanks everyone! I might have ended up with an AceKard something (RPG or 2), but I'm pretty content with the CycloDS.
yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans