CycloDS RTS Stability Survey

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by IBNobody, Mar 11, 2008.

?

Do you feel like you can rely on your RTS to correctly load your game?

1. Yes, Every Time

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Sometimes, I'm cautious in using it

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. No, I don't trust it at all

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Mar 11, 2008

CycloDS RTS Stability Survey by IBNobody at 4:12 AM (1,431 Views / 0 Likes) 9 replies

1. IBNobody
    OP

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    I'd like to find out what experiences people have had with theCycloDS' RTS feature.

I, personally, think it's too risky to rely upon. I've been burned by it too often.

2. budrow66

Member budrow66 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Well the questions dont apply to me yet . I have only had my CycloDS for a week or so . I can tell you that I have been trying, in that week , the RTS on one game just to check it out. Rom 2024 so far no los of time, items , place , progress.
    No playtime loss.
    So far reliable.
    Sorry couldn't reply to poll but I hope this helps

3. Battalia

Newcomer Battalia Advanced Member

United States
    How do you do a save state? Whats the button combination? thanks

4. IBNobody
    OP

United States
    Hold "select" when you select a game to run.

5. GH0ST

Member GH0ST Your Hero is a Ghost

France
    No problem so far for me. i betatested all versions of the firmware and use it for weeks.

Btw I disable all my OS background process like thumbs, disk indexing etc ... and defrag my card with JKdefrag on a regular basis.

Only few games ( Megaman series ... ) are not supported now and will freeze ( without lost ) if you attempt to RTS.

6. LordMelkor

Newcomer LordMelkor Advanced Member

United States
    I haven't been used it expansively so far the games I've felt that I've needed it in are Professor Layton (lol i like full picarats.. every once in a while there are a couple unintelligent puzzles that just aren't worth spending time on but i still want full points -__-) and Final Fantasy III (the save anywhere cheat works like 5% of the time). And for those games it has worked flawlessly. In fact, I even risked having cheats enabled while playing FF3 (although I was careful... I disabled cheats from the ingame menu before RTS save/load).

One thing I did initially to be extra careful (based on various stuff id read in the TC forums), was that I removed any existing *.sav (if there was one) relating to the game i wanted to create an *.rts file for-- from the SD card, created the rts file, then played through until I could create a new .sav file. Then I put the microSD card back in the computer and replace the new *.sav with the old *.sav (all this is only for the initial *.rts creation) [​IMG]

..... but thats just me being paranoid. I have encountered no problems this way. [​IMG]

*edit* also jkdefragged my card after each *.rts creation... took like 30 seconds each time.

7. Dylan

Member Dylan 100 MILES AND RUNNIN'

Australia
    never had a problem with it and i never will. I LOVE MY CYCLODS

8. cutterjohn

Member cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've only used RTS with Izuna and Mysterious Dungeon, and never had a problem with them.

That said, I still don't use all that often, and use the normal save method as soon as possible, only using RTS when I absolutely must quit right now.

9. IBNobody
    OP

United States
    So what other games is it being used in?

It worked in Layton just fine, but Apollo Justice would often freeze up. Geometry Wars Galaxies would also freeze. It wasn't every time, but it was unreliable enough not to trust it.

It does matter where you load/save from, and I always tried to duplicate the conditions from which I created the save.

10. sk3tch

Member sk3tch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    The feature works pretty well, although I definitely augment RTS usage with regular saving.

Unfortunately, you still have to use "common sense" when using RTS (i.e. don't save in the midst of an intensive screen, etc.) so a lot of people report problems that probably aren't there. I've found that if you do it while paused (or at an inventory screen, etc.) you are A-OK.