CycloDS or R4?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Masx, Jul 20, 2007.

Jul 20, 2007

CycloDS or R4? by Masx at 10:53 AM (1,814 Views / 0 Likes) 15 replies

1. Masx
    OP

Newcomer Masx Newbie

United States
    Hey all,

Sorry for another repeat if this has been asked already. Recently I see threads asking which slot-1 is best to buy etc. There was this one topic asking people to vote but CycloDS wasn't even on the list.

My question is which one is better to get?

The R4 apparently is very popular amongst everyone in this forum and seems to be a great card. But the CycloDS features and compatibility seems better then that of R4. Obviously I'm not expert here cause I haven't bought or used any before, so I'm wondering/asking for unbiased answers if possible [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. cyklo

Newcomer cyklo Member

United Kingdom
    I've not used a CycloDS myself, but the general consensus seem to be:
    - CycloDS if you want the most possible features
    - R4 if you want the best value for money

3. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    I'd suggest sticking with the R4 for now, or waiting another month. A CycloDS Evolution firmware release was expected to be released last week, but it hasn't come out yet, so people are starting to get annoyed, though the team are still quite active on the forums.

You're likely to get more out of the R4. There is a huge customer base so I'm sure there will be some exciting stuff headed for it (not to mention thousands of skins, etc).

What puts me off my CycloDS Evo is that:

1. Case is a bit fat so it's harder to put in and take out than a retail card.
    2. Doesn't come in black. So I painted mine. Turned out okay I guess.
    3. This is just a matter of preference, but I prefer spring loaded slots. I have extreme trouble taking the micro SD out.

That's pretty much all. The interface is nice and all, and some great skins are popping up on the forums. There are lots of bugs as far as I can tell though, especially with some random japanese games, but all the good games should be fine.

The only REAL upside to the CycloDS Evolution is download play. I got one for the DL play, and I realise that it isn't all that useful. So I'm selling it now, and getting a G6DS Real, unless something else is announced and released soon. I wouldn't like to buy a G6DSR if something else great comes out, it has a hefty price tag compared to other cards. Reminds me of the time I bought an M3 Lite and sold it back and lost 40 dollars [​IMG]

4. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    You forgot SHDC support (for the Cyclo) which for packrats, could mean that eventually they could store 8 gigs on a single card, in comparison to regular microSDs maxing out at 2 gigs. That'd be 4 times the space, for damn near anything you'd ever want to put on it. Uncompressed and untrimmed, to boot. There is only 1 4 gig one out right now, it will be followed by the 6 closer to the end of the year, and the 8 gig will come out in 2008, from what I have read. You want to wait for the class 4 devices, as the readspeed will be faster, meaning far less slowdowns.

5. Euphoria

Newcomer Euphoria Member

United States
    Well, when it comes to NDS gaming, I don't see why anyone would need over 2GB to begin with. That is around 45-50 games... why would you want more when you can only play 1 game at a time?

6. cheapassdave

Member cheapassdave GBAtemp Regular

United States
    This is true. I have a 2GB full of games and I don't even play half of the games on there. Trust me, after a while you'll get bored of the games. Thats why i prefer the r4 because it has enough features to keep me happy. and i am. [​IMG]

7. aslacker55

Member aslacker55 I like pie

United States
    I also believe that 2 GB is more than enough. I have a R4 with a 1gb micro sd and a cyclods evo with a 4gb micro sdhc. It's very nice to have 100 trimmed roms in my cyclods, but I still prefer my R4. I only play a few games at a time and I like it being spring loaded. That aside, I still believe that the cyclods evo is a great flashcard ( it's definitely worth it).

8. cheeo

Newcomer cheeo Advanced Member

United States
    I like the CycloDS but what I don’t like is the Cyclo team, they have already dropped support for earlier cards & have recently decided to just rip-off the Supercard slot-2 hardware & just stamp their name on it. This Supercard rip-off is obviously so they don’t have to support that card, they just let the SC team do the software updates & they rip it off. The only slight benefit to the CycloDS is there better download play, very few will even take advantage of the SHDC support, 2-gig is more then enough for most. So with a R4 team always kicking butt on updates, & great over all interface plus price not to mention all the other little nice things the R4 has. The R4 is the easy choice for me.

9. Masx
    OP

Newcomer Masx Newbie

United States
    Very interesting! [​IMG]

Thank you all for the replies. This will help a ton for when I decide to buy a slot-1 card.

10. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    If you look at this in the long run, if you use 8GB micro SDHC cards as an example, the absolute earliest they will be released is 2008 (and if they are released in late 2007, they will be very slow Sandisk ones). By the end of year, I'm positive the scene will see more SDHC compatible cards.

11. dman777

Newcomer dman777 Advanced Member

United States
    What are you talking about? 8 gigabyte SDHC cards are already out and they have been out for awhile!

NewEgg.com has a few of them and they go for about $70.00. Everyone is like 'well, games don't take that much space" but what about movies and music? I plan on getting the Cyclo Evo and utilizing my DS for all it's worth.

12. aslacker55

United States
    I suggest you read 4saken's post again. He said 8 gigabyte micro SDHC, which are suppose to be released next year.

13. dman777

Newcomer dman777 Advanced Member

United States
    ouch...thanks for pointing that out to me. I still am going to buy the Cyclo Evolution because of the future expansion of the micro SDHC. I also read in reviews that the Evo has better touch screen responses on the menu than the R4.

14. aslacker55

United States
    The touch screen response is the same. The difference is in the Cyclods evo game menu, you can use the touchscreen to pick the games. If you want to put music and movies in your flashcard, then I would recommend the cyclods evo. It cost more, but it's worth it. I got mine at Gp2X for $49.99 each before shipping, taxes( only for California buyers), and 5% off ( type Sosuke as the promo code).

15. ZdProjects

Newcomer ZdProjects Member

United States
    r4 team could just upgrade their firmware and have better touchscreen support, but it you want it for sure get teh cyclo. the r4 is awesome though

16. helba

Newcomer helba Advanced Member

Canada
    4 gigs? my ds game base is at 5.9 gigs and that's without all the games released yet, i've got around 80%. Got my self 10 Cyclowiz evolutions to resell and i agree the 8 gigs is too much, but i plan on having all my games on the 8 gigs when it comes out [​IMG].