CycloDS or M3 Real?

Discussion in 'M3 Adapter' started by ubersk8kid, Oct 26, 2007.

?

Which flash cart is better to buy?

1. CycloDS Evolution

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. M3 DS Real

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Oct 26, 2007

CycloDS or M3 Real? by ubersk8kid at 3:12 AM (2,148 Views / 0 Likes) 18 replies

1. ubersk8kid
    OP

Newcomer ubersk8kid Advanced Member

Canada
    I am maybe going to switch from my M3 Simply to one of these flash carts, which should I get? Money isn't a concern. I also have an M3 Lite, so should I get that replaced with the GBA expansion that comes with the M3, or get the Slot 2 CycloDS? I mainly want the SDHC support. What should I do? [​IMG]

2. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    I can't say a bad think about the CycloEvo. I love it. And the team behind it is very open to their consumers and supportive. I can't speak for the other option.

3. TheNeck

Member TheNeck GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I vote for the CycloDS, but its hard to find right now. But im sure the M3 Real will be a great cart. I have a G6 Real and its my preferred choice, my daughter uses the CycloDS.

4. ubersk8kid
    OP

Newcomer ubersk8kid Advanced Member

Canada
    Thanks for these opinions [​IMG]

apparently, a lot of people like CycloEvo
    Is there anything bad you could say about the M3 Real? [​IMG] Any reasons why I shouldn''t buy the other? The M3 Real does look good... [​IMG]

5. cribby08

Member cribby08 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Most people don't have a m3 real english yet. I would wait a few weeks and see what everyone says about the enlgish version of the card.

Can't really answer that question yet. Who knows how the m3 expansions will be.

6. cory1492

Member cory1492 GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I for one vote M3Real, I've been waiting on that one for quite a while (though I had also forgotten it in between for a while as well). Not only are they an established team (GBA Movie Player/GBAlpha), they don't have any of their products listed on a page warning about fakes.

If it is (still) a difficult choice for you, wait on the review and retail english versions of M3, there is no telling at this point if they pulled any punches on the English software (like they did with m3perfects' pod apps) or how far off their promises of "perfect" and "real" they are at this point.

7. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    Cory, their slot-2 cards were clones, if you're trying to compare the CycloDS Evolution to the SCDS1 you obviously haven't used both of them.

Edit: Just re-read the first post, he's talking about slot-2 carts. Get the M3 slot-2, not the CycloDS. Sorry Cory, my misunderstanding.

Edit 2: I just read it again, and now I'm really confused... Are you talking about slot-1 or slot-2?

- Sam

8. cory1492

Canada
    [​IMG]
    Who's comparing anything? I am indeed talking about the slot 1 Cyclo and M3R cards (no mention of anything regarding SCDS1, I certainly don't see it in the poll) - if one was willing to reverse and basically steal the entire card design (and not really make any attempt to fix its problems) as well as modify the originals firmware graphics for their slot2 cards, I really don't feel that type of thing deserves the support or the hype we have been seeing from customers for their most recent product.

When they run out of ideas to swipe, I'd wrather own the pioneers device with a long track record of staying in touch with their market wrather than the one that happens to have the most features now (which by the way seems to me to be just a cleverly hacked in default cheat code at the moment, most likely based on or around the patching core found in R4/M3S). There are far better teams (Ace Kard for example) trying to innovate wrather than only reap what they can right now by appealing mainly to the warez mongers.

In all honesty, I have tried contacting the Cyclo people on 3 separate occasions and have never once had a reply even to say "we're sorry, the lines are all busy right now, please try again in ". Not sure what others are talking about, but I am most certainly not going to go "OMGZ, itz gotz slow down codez! It must be teh best!" and completely ignore the history of their products and where my money would be going to just because others are saying "they are english and give support", especially when I have seen no evidence of any pre-sale support at all after looking for it.

To me, GBAlpha is an established product provider, not some start up that got their first card on the market via cloning an already somewhat inferior product. Cyclo has proven they are dedicated to their Evo for what, 3 months or so? (A great marketing tactic that seems to be paying off if you ask me.) GBAMP has been getting updates for what, 5 or more years now? After all that, how many even realize SC CF was originally a spinoff of a semi-clone of GBAMP (and that GBAMP makers took that "clonish" thing wrather badly.)

That said, instead of replacing m3lite with 2 separate products, I still say wait and see what the M3R turns out like for the english release, cost wise as well, for the "perfect" bundle. It may well wind up being the better integrated product for the thread posters specific use; or then again they may wind up once again trying to gouge us English folks for more $$ on a reduced feature list product compared to their Chinese one (for the record, I don't much care for regionalized after market products either, we buy these things to take out region issues, not put in new ones).

Sorry for the ramble. I'm sure a lot of you are enjoying your Cyclo Evo cards and don't want to hear anything bad about it, but, history is just that and it indeed is a dim reflection of the future. I for one try not to chip in and promote such things every chance I get, unlike some who'd gladly turn a blind eye on a cyclops.

9. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    I don't see what the problem is with their slot-2 carts being clones...? They've changed now. And I edited my above post before you posted that with my first edit (but then I edited it again).
    What I meant is that although their slot-2 carts might be clones of SuperCards, their slot-1 efforts are not. And yes, they are taking features from other carts at the moment, that's because the Evolution was released later than the others and has some catching up to do feature-wise...

- Sam

10. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    I am a M3 Real fan, but I'd have to go with CycloDS, the fabrication on the board and the layout is superior to the M3 Real. As far as quality goes, it looks better to me. I'm probably not going to buy one because of price, but who knows. I'm trying to stock up my DS carrying case with slot-1 microsd cards [​IMG] I already own 4 of them, I think there's 8 slots so there's enough room for a cyclo in there. I assume that I'd have to buy from my regular place because I think a lot of cyclo were confiscated in HK recently due to some busts.

11. jesterscourt

United States
    I'm curious how you are contacting them. If you post on the threads, it could take up to a few days for someone to respond from Team Cyclops, however they are very prompt via the "Contact us" e-mail, assuming you didn't send them an obscenity laced tirade or something (not saying you did, but I'm guessing they have filters to block/filter that sort of thing). Anyhow, through the contact us link, they answered my question I think in under 48 hours. And it was a personal response, not a stock answer was automatically generated.

The only thing I can figure is that you might have phrased a question in the form of "why should I buy your product" and they ignored it because a. The product sort of speaks for itself b. There are very open and friendly forums where users would respond to your questions honestly and promptly. If neither are the case, I have no clue. I'd suggest to post whatever question you may have on the official forums.

12. cory1492

Canada
    WAS, not are, attempting to contact them. Perhaps my timing was bad, but I used the contact us link from their site to request distribution (ie: when it would be available at a NA retailer) and in liu of that, sample information - shortly after they had announced imminent release here. As I said, pre-sale product support.

Any rate, the most likely source of the innovations people seem to care about lately - found in M3S, M3R, cyclo evo and R4 - would be the Action Replay DS. Pioneers.

edit:/ to be particularly clear, I have nothing against the cyclo product aside from the fact, knowing what I know now, I will not buy it. I am simply trying to give justification/information as to why I voted M3 Real to the question "CycloDS or M3 Real" - regardless of who agrees with my opinion, or whether it is accurate - or not. Put simply, marketers know for a fact that emotion affects spending habits and in this case I personally feel too many people are looking at the cyclo evo like it is a savior wrather than what it truly is, which is a follower with few real innovations.

I for one am very happy to know that so many fellow members of this community at GBATemp have been having great experiences with their cyclo evo's, it sure beats feeling bad for the people who bought into DS-X. Though, I definitely do get a tad concerned about the people on their forum mentioning sending units back to the "factory" for replacements (suggesting possibly lax QA and possibly an overall shortened life expectancy for any of the units).

13. amptor

Banned amptor Banned

United States
    well it looks like supercard clones are missing parts but....

WHY WOULD ANYONE BUY A SUPERCARD ANYWAY, EVEN THE REAL ONES SUCK

hahah.. well I own a supercard but only reason for that is because at the time it was the ONLY CF solution available on the market. otherwise I'd have never bought one hehe

14. jesterscourt

United States
    Cory, I think it might have been bad timing if it was pre-release, they probably are short staffed to begin with and were swamped with questions regarding their device. I can only speak of them SINCE release. Speaking of the DS-X, am I glad I jumped that ship. You guys should take a look at their official forums. Ghost town, at least in comparison to what it used to be.

As for Flashcarts "copying" other device's features... Um... Think about the product itself. Clearly to be the best selling/best device out there you need to have just about all the abilities of the other carts, plus something new (or a lower price point). This isn't Ipod vs. Other MP3 players, I mean one flashcart company can't sue another company for aping an idea and improving it and marketing it better, can they?

15. cory1492

Canada
    jesterscourt:
    I had another long reply prepared, but decided against posting it directly on the forum. If you don't get what I'm getting at by now, I can only blame it on fanaticism. That link is my last words on trying to illuminate my point of view here, and simply put I don't have the time to do the reversing necessary to disprove or prove my beliefs so I must base them on history.

16. KINGOFNOOBS

Member KINGOFNOOBS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    CycloDS is better. G6 Real promised alot, delievered none. M3 Real will follow in its footsteps

17. david82794

Newcomer david82794 Member

United States
    yeah Cyclo DS

18. BakuFunn

Member BakuFunn Flameproof.

United States
    M3 Ds Real.
    It includes freebies like the rumble and mem expansion, and the gba paks. It does everything perfectly, like download play, and it cost almost as much as the leading r4.
    Also, i think the cyclo is expensive. microsdhc is good, but those cards are too expensive.

19. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    G6R GUI polished? Far from it mate. Sorting issues, soft reset bugs, forces you to choose a shortcut for every game, 7 icons in menu doesn't make it looks symmetrical, various aesthetic issues, etc. They need to refine all the smaller details (you get the feeling they are trying to make it more technical and sophisticated).

Though after some recommendations and discussion, I am getting an M3R. I trust the team can fix the stuff I have in mind (I have already been in indirect contact with the team about this), but I've been told that they will work on it only after some bug fixes with the M3R.