c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
review said:
GBAtemp's Official review of the CycloDS Evolution is now complete. If your eager to see how

I stopped reading right there. It's like somebody punched me in the language center of my brain. I expect better out of GBATemp and Shaun especially.
wub.gif

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
review said:
GBAtemp's Official review of the CycloDS Evolution is now complete. If your eager to see how

I stopped reading right there. It's like somebody punched me in the language center of my brain. I expect better out of GBATemp and Shaun especially.
wub.gif
Give a guy a break!
laugh.gif
I just spent a good part of 2 days writing this thing!
tongue.gif

ASK

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
8.7? How the hell did R4 and M3 Simply beat this out considering the features? That is absolutely ridiculous.

supermauerbros

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
review said:

wub.gif
Give a guy a break!
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

Yeah Jeez Shaun I'm sorry but I'm going to have to dock my review of your review from a 9.0 to an 8.6.
wink.gif
Kidding aside, great review and as an R4 owner I welcome the competition, it can only mean good things.

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
review said:

wub.gif
Give a guy a break!
laugh.gif
tongue.gif

And it shows. Excellent review, dude. Very thorough and well presented.

bobrules

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think the R4 score should be raised.
Taken from the review
Pros
+ 100% ROM compatibility (from current tests)
+ No slow-downs or glitches in game (from current tests)
+ Completely drag 'n' drop, no software needed
+ Supports clean ROMs
+ Expandable micro SD memory solution
+ Supports FAT and FAT32
+ Great build quality
+ Fits flush in your DS
+ Nice freebies in the package
+ Fairly cheap!

Cons
- Basic, dated GUI
- Lacking extra features
- English firmware updates slower than Chinese
- Low homebrew compatibility
- Lacking download play support

A lot of the cons are now gone, and great support from the team as well.

Sweater Fish Del

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bah, it doesn't support gba flash carts in slot 2, only for DS games in slot 2, a shame, my G6 lite wouldn't work if i tried to play gba games i'm presuming?
The CycloDS doesn't affect how a slot-2 cart functions, so GBA support on the G6 Lite will be unaffected and will work just like it does now.

...word is bondage....

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
bah, it doesn't support gba flash carts in slot 2, only for DS games in slot 2, a shame, my G6 lite wouldn't work if i tried to play gba games i'm presuming?

The CycloDS doesn't affect how a slot-2 cart functions, so GBA support on the G6 Lite will be unaffected and will work just like it does now.

...word is bondage....

ah i see, well that's cool then because the G6 lite is a gba /DS hybrid.

JusDaMan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow... how does the m3/r4 get a higher score than the evo... better yet... how does scds1 have a lower score than the rest of them. the evo has pretty much better everything than m3/r4. Both scds1 and evo should have equal if not better than m3/r4. given that scds1 requires a good micro sd to run at optimum performance. but hey they feature more stuff than m3/r4. even though their not "user friendly" compare to m3/r4. and the evo seems to have similar function to the m3/r4. AND 100% download play.

If m3 and r4 gets a 9.0
evo should get >=9.0
scds1 v2.0os should get >=9.0 too.

and dslinker/n-card/ez-5 should get their scores reviewed.

quartercast

Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
I think the Evo and R4 are pretty even at the moment. The R4 is very cheap and has good slot-2 support, while the Evo has microSDHC support and excellent download play compatibility. Once the Evo's price comes down (its only just been released!) and slot-2 support is implemented, the Evo will easily be the better card. But then again, who knows what tricks the R4 team have up their sleeve!

As far as marking goes, I have plenty of sympathy for shaunj66, quantifying hardware/software faults and features into marks must be very difficult! I think at the end of the day, this sort of marking is rather arbitrary and depends on the reviewer's opinion on how important certain features are.

Of course, some values ARE quantifiable (% download play compatibility, % rom compatibility etc). I think all GBAtempers would appreciated a scorecard showing how marks are broken down and calculated, and whether they are calculated in a uniform manner among all carts.

ZdProjects

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there isn't even microSDHC cards out yet, or at least i can't find any, i found regular SDHC cards. anyone know where to find one?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: butte