Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

CycloDS Evolution - New info!

Secret feature unveiled, plus menu shots

evo-arrangements.jpg
Team Cyclops have released some new information on their CycloDS evolution product along with some new screenshots. The big announcement, and the "secret feature" they've been holding back is that; the CycloDS evolution will be the first kit on the market to support micro SDHC cards (secure digital high capacity). This new evolution (no link here!) of micro SD card has a new maximum size limit of 32GB (as opposed to the old SD limit of 2GB) and faster transfer rates.
Team Cyclops said:
Today heralds the unveiling of CycloDS Evolution’s surprise hardware feature – support for MicroSDHC memory cards!

MicroSDHC (SD High Capacity) is the new standard for compact flash memory cards which offers far greater capacity than traditional MicroSD memory cards. Whilst the maximum capacity supported by traditional MicroSD is a mere 2gigabytes, MicroSDHC supports up to a mammoth 32gigabytes. CycloDS Evolution breaks the memory capacity barrier by being first NDS flash cart to implement support for MicroSDHC cards. Furthermore, MicroSDHC cards are not backwards compatible so any device not designed specifically to support MicroSDHC will not be able to take advantage of these new high capacity cards.

Given that SDHC is a new technology, you may be wondering what the importance of the new generation’s cards will be now and in the future. We all know that flash memory prices tumble quickly, and that’s why it’s imperative to buy a flash cart which supports the new SDHC standard. Whilst 2GB cards have been the staple diet of users for the last few months, the pricing has plummeted. This trend will move over to larger size cards, which means that 4 GB cards may end up having the same pricing of 2GB cards in a few months. If the flash cart you choose does not support SDHC then you’ll be stuck with purchasing 2 GB or smaller memory devices. This means in the end poor value for money. Given the great success of NDS and its ever expanding library of titles, memory storage value for money becomes ever more important as your list of favourites grows by the week. Having several SD cards becomes a nuisance and very impractical.

MicroSDHC cards are currently available as 4GB for now, with higher capacity cards expected in the near future.
They've also released some photos of the GUI which you'll find inside this topic.

We'll be receiving our sample copies at GBAtemp before next week, so stay tuned for more information!

icon11.gif
Source

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
default_main_menu.jpg

Main Menu

default_game_list_file.jpg

Game list, view by filename

default_game_list_rom.jpg

Game list, view by ROM's internal info

default_setting_english.jpg

Settings menu

default_setting_french.jpg

Settings menu in French

default_setting_korean.jpg

Settings menu in Korean

default_code_select.gif

Cheat code selection

skin3_main_menu.jpg

Main menu, alternative skin

skin3_game_list_file.jpg

Game list, alternative skin

skinxp_main_menu.jpg

Main menu, XP skin

skinxp_game_list_rom.jpg

Game list, XP skin

ghettobob

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looks nice. But Micro SDHC? I'm looking at NewEgg right now. And 4gb SDHC (SD card) cost $40+. How much would MicroSD cards cost? With a little over $40 i can get a R4 and a 2gb MicroSD. Im fine with 2.

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
4GB microSDHC cards are about $100 USD right now (at least that's what I've heard), but they'll get cheaper. 2GB microSD cards were about that expensive a year ago, and they're $20-$30 now.

d33t

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Looks nice. But Micro SDHC? I'm looking at NewEgg right now. And 4gb SDHC (SD card) cost $40+. How much would MicroSD cards cost? With a little over $40 i can get a R4 and a 2gb MicroSD. Im fine with 2.
I'm not positive, but I'm pretty sure that they MicroSDHC slot will be compatible with standard MicroSD card, just the same as SDHC devices can use SD cards. Think of it as an extra option, not a requirement.

I think pending a review from the GBATemp guys I might have to sell off the ol' M3 and upgrade to this. Sounds pretty damn promising if they can come though on their claims.

Little

I r Little
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The interface looks curiously like the R4!

I'm not sure about the high capacity cards... I guess its the same argument as with the internal memory cards! Do you really need more than X (x being 2 gig in this case)?

Maybe I've missed something but is high capacity the only thing they are offering?

Spikey

Your Special Someone
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why does the menu look like R4/M3 Simply menu for cheats and main menu, and the game selection looks like the M3 slot 2's menu.
wacko.gif

Hellios

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Slovenia
Have they made any annoucements on Download Play to unflashed DS'?

Because thats the only thing that could set this appart from R4/M3S... Yet those two got the brand name and low price point...

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
OP
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Have they made any annoucements on Download Play to unflashed DS'?

Because thats the only thing that could set this appart from R4/M3S... Yet those two got the brand name and low price point...
From the titles they've tested so far, they claim 100% working download play support to unflashed DS's.

Whether that can be said for all titles... we'll have to wait until I get my hands on it
smile.gif

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The limit of 2GB MicroSD cards isn't 2GB. As of right now, it's 8GB. Samsung was the first to do it.
No, the limit is 2GB. That's as high as the SD specification goes. Any non-HC cards that are larger than 2GB do not conform to the SD standard or the SDHC standard, so they probably work in most SD or SDHC devices.

Either Samsung is making a mostly worthless product, or (more likely) the person that wrote that press release doesn't know much about the product.

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
;_;
Sinkhead is getting this one for review, so I won't be able to get one. I'll have to -gasp- buy it myself...

It looks so good, I might just plunk down the cash (err, digital transaction) to buy this cart even though I get others for free.

But I'll wait for reviews.

bollocks

Trophies
XP
Country
this actually seems interesting! good for them. i think they would have a lot more respect at the moment if they hadn't released those slot-2 supercard knockoffs though.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.