CycloDS Evolution FAQ

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by bugmenot52, Jun 12, 2007.

Jun 12, 2007

CycloDS Evolution FAQ by bugmenot52 at 10:08 PM (2,760 Views / 0 Likes) 19 replies

1. bugmenot52
    OP

bugmenot52 Newbie

The answers to the following questions are based on firmware version 1.12, which is the newest firmware at the time of this post.

If you have any questions not listed here, or if you have more information please post it. I update this post with such information. If one of the answers given is incorrect, please tell me. Thanks.

What save format does the CylcoDS Evolution use?

It uses the same save format as R4. Namely, 512 KByte raw saves.

Is the download play capability truly 100%?

If it is not truly 100% then it is very close. All of the major problematic games work fine. It works with all combination of flashed and non-flashed devices?

What is this about trimming roms causing download play incompatibility?

Most existing rom trimmers apparently mess up the RSA signature of the rom while trimming. This can prevent download play from working. The trimmer found at http://www.teamcyclops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=159 should work without affecting download play compatibility.

How do I make a new skin?

See http://www.teamcyclops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122

Does the system autoboot?

Unlike the R4, the autoboot bit of the NDS header is not set to true. This means that it will only automatically boot if the "start-up" option in the DS firmware is set to "Autoboot".

Is there support for multiple saves?

At this time there is no support for multiple saves, although the CylopsTeam have confirmed this as a planned feature.

Is there a way to automatically load the last game i was playing?

Yes. Hold L and R while CycloDS is loading.

Does it support the autoboot.nds file?

Yes. If a file named autoboot.nds is located in the root directory of the SD card, it will be automatically loaded instead of the CycloDS menu. You can hold the X button while the CycloDS is loading to load the menu instead.

What other startup button sequences are there?

Holding the Up button on the dpad while loading will cause the CycloDS to automatically boot slot 2. This works even if no SD card is inserted. (Need confirmation if it boots in DS mode only, or if it boots in GBA mode if the cart in slot-2 lacks DS support [like what the r4's slot 2 button does in the latest firmware])

How well does the slow motion feature work?

Reports currently indicate that the speed is inconsistent.

Does enhanced mode mess up any games?

I do not have enough information to be certain about this, but reports seem to indicate that it usually works without any problems.

Does cheat mode mess up any games

I do not have enough information to be certain about this, but reports seem to indicate that it usually works without any problems.

Is there a way to edit or add cheats?

Not at this time, but it is a planned feature.

Are there speed issues with slower cards?

I do not have enough information to be certain about this, but reports seem to indicate that it usually works without any problems. Current reports seem to indicate that CV:PoR works with the slower cards. Need more information/confirmation.

Support Slot 2 integration?

Support for using the CycloDS Micro and Mini to play GBA games, or as opera memory expansion is planned. The GBA roms will be clean roms, with patching occuring automatically by the CylcoDS firmware.

As of right now, the EZ 3-in-1 should work for playing GBA games, if used with Rudolph's tool. (But like with the R4, GBA games may need to be patched first).

Where is the DLDI file?

The Firmware includes a DLDI autopatcher, so there is no need for a seperate DLDI file.

Does it save directly to the SD card? (like R4)

Yes.

How do you upgrade the firmware?

To upgrade the firmware, simply place the .evo file in the root directory of the SD card. When the card next boots it will upgrade itself. When finished it will delete the upgrade file from the SD card to save space.

Do you need to upgrade the firmware to each version?

No. You can upgrade (for example) from 1.0 directly to 1.12. Simply use the most recent .evo file.

Does the Enhanced mode menu system work with homebrew?

No.
    --------

Open questions that are often asked that I lack answers for:

Does the DS-GBA link feature work properly if an original GBA cart is in slot 2?

2. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    In other words, 512KB raw saves.

3. felix123

Member felix123 GBAtemp Regular

New Zealand
    Why shouldn't it work?

4. bugmenot52
    OP

bugmenot52 Newbie

That is my feelings, too, although I want to be certain of it before publishing the answer. I have seen the question asked many times.

5. xanth

Member xanth GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What's the general compatibility with homebrew applications?

6. mcp2

Member mcp2 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    I heard that the DS sometimes, well alot, has trouble recognizing the CycloDS Evo, is this just a bad batch or is it consistent with all evos?

7. bugmenot52
    OP

bugmenot52 Newbie

Excellent question, and to be honest, i don't know the answer. several people have reported this problem on the official forums but as of the moment, i have no idea if this is general problem or just a faulty batch.

8. bugmenot52
    OP

bugmenot52 Newbie

I belive it generally works fairly well, although it looks like there is a bug in the DLDI autopatch at the moment preventing writes to the card from working. They have alread found the problem and have fixed it, so it will be fixed in the next update. (At least that is what they are claiming).

9. mcp2

United Kingdom
    Thank you for answering my question [​IMG]

Do you think I should wait and see if the CycloDS team resolve the Evo not being recognized error or buy one, I was thinking of ordering one today from ModChipStore.com. Where did you get yours from if I may ask?

10. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States
    If you want to get a general feel for the CycloDS Evo, I made a video review on my new website (like literally new, don't expect much appeal). http://www.flashcartreviews.com

11. mcp2

United Kingdom
  12. xanth

Member xanth GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Where's a good place to get the CycloDS Evolution? They don't have a lot of places listed in the US, and I've been reading lots of bad things about Divineo being slow/shipping faulty merchandise.

13. iwakura

Member iwakura HHNNNNNNGGGG

United States

it was 5:30 AM! >_<

thanks for linking to the right site though, I changed the link [​IMG]

14. mcp2

United Kingdom
  15. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    I can confirm the Evolution can be used as a NoPass without a MicroSD card in by holding 'Up' as it loads
    Enhanced Mode does NOT work with homebrew (at least not with Beup and Phidias)

- Sam

16. bugmenot52
    OP

bugmenot52 Newbie

Thanks. Updated.

17. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    I have a question: Is there a way to neatly partition the various files that show up? When in Moonshell, I see the games in there too. It sure would be convenient to have separate folders for movies, pics and mp3s and that's it, without the games showing up in there.

Thanks

18. bestperson

Member bestperson Advanced Member

United States
    I have a cyclo ds evolution updated with the latest firmware and i can't get it to play a lot of games. some games work fine. tbut, i can't get it to metroid prime hunters, and goldeneye and the new zelda game. they act like they are loading up but then just go to a white screen and freeze. do i need to patch roms for the cyclo ds evolution? moonshell works fine and a lot of other games work fine. dawn of sorrow works fine. sim city ds works fine. mario kart works fine. any help is appreciated it. i am a noob

19. Oxygen

Newcomer Oxygen Newbie

Make sure you have a good microSD card and good dumps of the ROMs. Seeing as Castlevania works, it is more likely the ROMS. Metroid Prime Hunters works fine - I do not know about the other two. You do not need to patch ROMs with the CycloDS Evolution.

20. PikaPika

Member PikaPika GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I have goldeneye and phantom hourglass on my card right now, but they are both on a kingston japan, so it could be that your card isn't so good, but the cyclo is definitely not the problem.