CycloDS Evo vs. R4 as DS-X Replacement

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by jesterscourt, Jul 10, 2007.

Jul 10, 2007
  1. jesterscourt
    OP

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Getting upset with the DS-X's lack of updates and somewhat scary forum practices, I have begun to look for a replacement solution, and I have it down to two candidates, the CycloDS Evolution, and the R4. I plan to add on a EZFlash 3-in-1 card to whichever I choose here, but I am leaning towards the CycoDS Evo, because of some of its extra features, although the fact that it is fairly new makes me somewhat cautious, and I open the discussion to this forum to help me finalize my choice.

I've read a decent amount of information on both, and I had a few remaining questions...
    Does it have...
    1. Soft-reset for all games (I heard about Moonshell problems)
    2. Bypass of "warning screen" (a la R4)
    3. Problem with porting over my saves from the DS-X (not as though this is that big of an issue, Shuny's program could do it, it'd be nice to know that it would accept the saves as-is.
    4. Is it easy to skin? The DS-X wasn't.. Can R4 skins be used/changed
    5. I read the compatibility wiki, there are a lot of gaps, probably because this is fairly new as a product. Have there been any real issues with any particular games?
    6. R4 seemed to have some issues with certain games and certain memory... Is there the same problem with this, moreover, the expanded memory capability of this, would it take that much longer for the menu/games list to load if I bought a 4 gig card?
    7. No one has had any issue with the auto-loading DLDI? The homebrew I regularly use is: Colors, CBDS, DSOrganize, Lameboy, Lemmings DS, LMP-NG-2 Alpha, ScummVM DS. Again, I didn't see any real issues on the compatibility list, but I am just wondering...
    8. The EZ-Flash 3-in-1 solution + CycloDS Evo... any foreseeable problems with this setup?

2. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    CycoDS Evo is pretty new to the market...I'd say give them a few month to see how their support actually is. Who knows if you'll run into another company with crappy support and slow update like DS-X's.

3. IBNobody

Member IBNobody I try to keep myself amused.

United States
    And the Cyclo team had already dropped support for their first cart (the CycloDS) well before the Evo was announced.

4. go185

Member go185 GBAtemp Regular

Because their slot2 cards were a copy of the Supercard slot2s and, IIRC, supercard firmware could be installed on those cyclods slot2s (after hacking, of course)

5. Brenex

Newcomer Brenex Member

United States
    1. Yes
    2. No
    3. No problem, use the online save converter.
    4. Yes
    5. No real issues with any game. Newest issue had to do with pokemon revolution on the Wii.
    6. ----
    7. Autoloading of DLDI works fine for me on a bunch of emulators, colors, dsorganize, ndsmail, comicds. I would think it works fine on most things.
    8. Most people on the cyclo forums recommend the EZ-Flash 3-in-1 as a companion to the evo.

6. h8uthemost

Member h8uthemost GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Definitely pay the few extra measly dollars and get the Evolution. It's an excellent cart, with excellent support. It's true that this amount of support might not always be there, but TeamCyclops is showing no signs of slowing down.

They're the only devs, from the sites I've been too, that actually posts and answers your questions everyday, and listens to your requests and implements them into the firmware.

I'm not saying the R4 is a bad cart, because it's far from. It plays everything just fine. But so does the Evolution, and also has a few features that the R4 doesn't have. Plus it's probably going to get Realtime Saves. TeamCyclops is working on it right now. So that alone, to me at least, makes it better than any other slot 1.

7. IBNobody

United States
    When was the last time they released a patch, though?

EDIT: I'm not trying to rag on the team. I'm just pointing out that while they may be enthusiastic on the forums, they haven't released a patch since the flurry of ones at the card's release. That's very similar to the DS-X team.

- N

8. Sinkhead

Former Staff Sinkhead yay p1ngpong.

United Kingdom
    If they don't release the firmware update by Sunday I may start getting a little bit worried but I don't expect that to happen.

- Sam

9. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    1. Dunno, but moonshell is homebrew, I believe normal soft-reset patches don't work on homebrew and the homebrew needs to write the return to menu script themself, which is probably different for each cart...
    2. No it doesn't, which is a good thing, cause you can choose it from DS's menu yourself, with the R4 just overrules that choice, which I don't see the point in.
    3. DS-X is the only one that uses it's own zipped savetype, so CycloDS doesn't support this savefile natively. There are many handy tools to convert them though.
    4. Yes it's easy to skin. Almost just as easy as R4. Just changing some bitmaps. You can't use or convert the R4 skins though, there are certain differences between the menu like the background for the main screen also being used for the game selection screen. And seperate files for the main screen buttons to have select/click animations, etc.
    5. Dunno
    6. I believe the issues with Castlevania / Tony Hawk with slower MicroSD cards are still present. The 4GB questions depends on the type of MicroSD card though. I've read somewhere that MicroSDHC cards are actually faster then normal MicroSD cards, so that would mean it would give less problems. I can't find reviews of people who tested that though, so I can't confirm that.
    7. Dunno
    8. I think it works just like on the R4, you need to use the homebrew program to put GBA Roms on it and the rumble works with 1 or 2 games (and needs a softreset trick for the rest?)...

10. 4saken

Member 4saken Retired Ace Attorney

Australia
    1. Soft reset doesn't work in very few games, Touch The Dead for example. Speaking of TTD, it goes to 2 black screens when you go into the room where you battle the first boss.

6. Currently, the only SDHC card on the market is the Sandisk, and it is slower than standard micro SD cards. The class 4 Toshiba was supposed to come out early July.

11. IBNobody

United States
    I'm waiting to see when the 2nd post-release update comes out. That'll tell you more than anything how committed the team is.

(The DS-X team released their first update a month after release. The second was 2 months after that.)

12. h8uthemost

Member h8uthemost GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    They released their last firmware about a month or so ago. And their latest firmware was expected to come out last week(or the week before last, I forget), and it's still not out.

But to be fair, they are busy getting new orders out to re-supply the retailers. So...lets hope that's really it, and that they're not starting to slack off.

13. 4saken

Australia
    It was 2 weeks ago.

14. jesterscourt
    OP

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    Waiting for news...

15. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Dude, read my story.

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=54053

16. Evilkoko

Member Evilkoko GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Wrong link? that's leads to iphone skin which is nicely done btw
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=55196&st=0
    I think that's the story you were mentioning, which gave me some confidence when I purchase my CycloDS when the next batch arrives.

17. 4saken

Australia
    Hold off until they release their next update. Its taking forever

18. GatorDeb

Member GatorDeb GBAtemp Regular

United States
    What features does it have that the R4 doesn't?

19. IBNobody

United States
    Right now, they're pretty close. The big differences:

* Better download play support
    (But: The R4 team is working on fixing their download play compatiblilty)

* Slow-Motion
    (But: May not help a game may make playing even harder)

* In-game back-light adjust
    (But: The R4 can do this, too, using cheat codes)

* Micro HDSD Support
    (But: The current crop of cards are slower than normal MicroSD cards and cost more)

Team Cyclops is dragging their heels with firmware updates. This is a red-flag-warning to steer clear of the Evo until you see their track record. The R4 team has been pretty regular in releasing firmware.

If you are looking at the Evo, hold off 2 months and re-evaluate the firmware release situation.

20. GeekyGuy

Global Moderator GeekyGuy Professional loafer

United States
    The Evo is my first and only flash card currently, so take my reply for what it's worth. I can't compare the Evo to anything else, but I can tell you that I've had a great experience with it so far. I'm also quite pleased with Team Cyclop's support and forum set-up. I haven't had any issues with my card, so I haven't had to deal with them much directly. But they are very pro-active about replacing failed products, and, as h8uthemost already stated, they are very involved on their forums. Even the most gruffy, impatient posters get quick, polite replies, directing them to quick solutions. Good support goes a long, long way with me.

I haven't really had any issues with the games I've played. The only thing I could say that came up was that neither Planet Puzzle League nor Dynasty Warriors would allow me to soft reset back to the CycloDS menu, but I'm sure you'll agree that that's a minor thing.

When I was shopping for a flash card, a little over a month ago, it was the same for me -- I was debating between the Evo and the R4. For me, it came down to quality control. From my research, I was seeing a lot of folks report that they were getting dead cards from the retailers. One customer reported having to return several copies before getting one that worked. It seemed like the Evo had a much better track record in that area, so I went with that. Plus, the spring-loaded outlet (on the R4) for the microSD also made me a tad nervous. If the spring gives out...well, your card might be rendered useless.

Anyway, I'll be ordering another Evo for my wife tomorrow. Currently, the cards are selling so well that Team Cyclops has had to ramp up production significantly to meet the demand, having sold out for a bit there. So, they must be doing something right [​IMG] .

P.S. -- Regarding the firmware-update comments I'm reading...

So far, my Evo is doing more than pretty much anything any other card advertises to do, so I don't really feel the squeeze. Also, I don't consider a month between updates "dragging their heels." When a critical update was needed, they wasted no time getting it out there. But what we're currently waiting for are requested changes, in some cases things that probably take a bit of time to implement. I think some folks have perhaps become so accustomed to getting what they want right when they want it that it might seem to them that Team Cyclops is not showing a high level of support. But I'd rather have it done right than just tossed out there to silence the babbling masses.