OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just got 2 Transcend 8GB Class6 cards in today from newegg.com. And when I try to load Ultimate Mortal Kombat. It says loading and then freezes up no soft key menu... nothing will show up just a black screen I then have to turn my DS off. I formatted the card 2 times with Panasonic SD Format. And still nothing.. If I take everything off the card and just put that game on it works.. I moved from a ScanDisk 8GB class2 card to the new one thats when I noticed the problem. Please help me in anyway you can. All my other games work fine.. I have also made a clean dump from the orginal card without trimming.. And still nothing. I am thinking this is a bug and needs to be checked out.
unsure.gif

Gara

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the same microsdhc from newegg and I can confirm it's also freezing on mine at the same place. No idea why... Thankfully it's not a game I wanted to play but still an odd problem

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ultimate Mortal Kombat, though old and not very popular to begin with, is one of the dreaded problematic games for flash cards.
I definitely remember seeing people having problems with UMK before, and a quick GBAtemp search confirmed my suspicions.
In pretty much every flash card sub-forum, there is a topic on UMK not working. Unfortunately, there really is no solution other than cleaning out your MicroSD (like you did). However, some people have reported that trimming the ROM (compressing it so the size is smaller) have helped them.
So you may want to try that out.

Gara

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KillerKlown said:
so you confirm that the same game "UMK" is freezing on this card? I am running FW v1.53.

Yep. Transcend 8gb class 6 (recent order from newegg) and the Cyclods 1.53. Guess it doesn't like our microsdhc card. Try some of the things mentioned above

camintmier

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just tried this, and UMK (1658) works perfectly on my CycloDS 1.53, with my Transcend 8GB Class6 SDHC card. I tested it both as a fresh install (no save file), and power cycled then loading my saved profile. Very odd that some people can't play this game.

Dunno if it matters, but my CycloDS's Hardware version is 1.1, and it says it's Hardware Region 1.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I figured out why UMK isn't working on the Transcend 8gig Class 6!

DO NOT format the card in 32 or 64k clusters. The card has excellent response times and does not need a special format for the cluster size. Doing so just causes weird problems. Just use the default cluster size (4k) and the game will run fine.

I discovered this myself after reading this thread. I ran some tests between an old Kingston 2gig and the Transcend 8gig. Game ran fine on the Kingston regardless of cluster size, but the Transcend 8gig wouldn't boot it until I reformatted the card in the default cluster size.

KillerKlown

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Rayder said:

DO NOT format the card in 32 or 64k clusters. The card has excellent response times and does not need a special format for the cluster size. Doing so just causes weird problems. Just use the default cluster size (4k) and the game will run fine.

I discovered this myself after reading this thread. I ran some tests between an old Kingston 2gig and the Transcend 8gig. Game ran fine on the Kingston regardless of cluster size, but the Transcend 8gig wouldn't boot it until I reformatted the card in the default cluster size.

So how did u get the card to 4k?? during a format? the lowest is 32k or 64k..
unsure.gif

Thanks for figuring this out if it works..

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KillerKlown said:
Rayder said:

So how did u get the card to 4k?? during a format? the lowest is 32k or 64k..
unsure.gif

Thanks for figuring this out if it works..

Just format it using the default cluster size and it will be 4k. Don't use the Panasonic formatter on it, use the basic Windows formatter.

KillerKlown

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
the default cluster size cant be 4k...

FAT32 supports 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16K, 32K, 64K, (128K, 256K for sector size > 512 bytes).

I did a format with windows using default and it worked if i have about 6 games in the directory where UMK is.

But if i add all 60 games in that directory then it will not start.. I even tryed to split the games up into 3 folders each.. 20 per folder.. and that did not work..

Just kinda strange...

Rayder

Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
KillerKlown said:
the default cluster size cant be 4k...

FAT32 supports 512, 1024, 2048, 4096, 8192, 16K, 32K, 64K, (128K, 256K for sector size > 512 bytes).

I did a format with windows using default and it worked if i have about 6 games in the directory where UMK is.

But if i add all 60 games in that directory then it will not start.. I even tryed to split the games up into 3 folders each.. 20 per folder.. and that did not work..

Just kinda strange...

Well, whatever a default cluster size format is....I AM sick today with a pounding headache. I saw 4096 bytes as being used after the format and assumed 4k was the cluster size. Guess I was wrong. Sorry 'bout that.
shy.gif

KillerKlown

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Still does not work.. Sorry to say.. Just stick with.. Kingston or SanDisk.. If you use this card.

Tried it on 3 Transcend Cards..

Just saying..

But if you don't play UMK then don't worry about it... Just hope no one has problems later on down the road..

I gave my 4 year old my CycloDS EVO and just put a bunch of kid's games on it... He loves it.. Its good for armatures
tongue.gif

I am going to stick with my AceKard2 with the AKAIO Firmware on it.. Its some good stuff..

simmo

Trophies
XP
Country
Having the same problem but on my sandisk 8gb. Worked fine the first time i played but once its created a save get the black screen problem using fw 1.53

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended