CycloDS - does it matter which memory card?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by shooshoo, Jun 13, 2007.

1. shooshoo
    OP

shooshoo Member

Newcomer
    May 16, 2007
    Canada
    Hey everyone

I wanted to get a flash cart and I was reading about the CycloDS and it sounded pretty good. I'm aware that it just came out though so I'm just waiting a bit to see if people are going to put any reviews up about it. I originally wanted to get the R4 but then it seemed like a lot of people were saying that it's recommended that you get a Japanese-made Kingston memory card to prevent slow downs in some games. Is the CycloDS the same way, do you need to have a certain brand of memory card or else you will experience issues like with the R4?

Thanks for any comments

2. Slave

Slave GBAtemp Fan

Aug 29, 2006
    Canada
    Montreal, Quebec.
    I have an M3 Simply (which is the SAME as R4) and I have a Sandisk 1gb micro SD... which is pretty much the low end of Micro SD, never had a single slowdown ever...

Actually never heard of anyone ever having a single slowdown on the M3 Simply/R4... I guess if you have any slowdowns, means you havent formated your micro sd correctly.

I think it is weird that the Cyclo has an option for this when everyone doesnt want any slowdowns, Cyclo makes an option out of it lol

3. shinji257

shinji257 61396C68206D61737465722072616365 :3

Apr 9, 2007
    United States
    On slower microsd cards yes. I didn't have any issues with my 1GB Kingston (Japan) microsd card. I only checked the castlevania games though. I didn't check the tony hawk games at all.

4. Destructobot

Destructobot Crave the Hammer

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    Please elaborate. I never noticed any issues of any sort with PoR on the M3 Simply using a Japanese Kingston 1GB card. It certainly didn't "lag" in any way.

As for Downhill Jam, that game slows down on the R4/Simply no matter what SD card you use.

5. KINGOFNOOBS

KINGOFNOOBS GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2006
    United States
    I think that is his point.

6. Destructobot

Destructobot Crave the Hammer

Oct 15, 2006
    United States
    Portland, OR
    The gameplay never stutters at all for me. I have a very low tolerance for that sort of thing; I would definitely notice if it did stutter.

7. Tanas

Tanas GBAtemp Addict

Aug 19, 2006
    The video doesnt stutter for me, its just the same as the original cart.

8. shinji257

shinji257 61396C68206D61737465722072616365 :3

Apr 9, 2007
    United States
    Please do. I have 2 of those Kingston microSD cards made in Japan. Make sure your Kingston card is manufactured in Japan because the ones made in other countries are not as fast. I had gotten mine from Newegg.com and Meritline.com I think. Both places had genuine cards and were cheap ($10-$15 ea.). With eBay there is always a risk involved as sometimes you may get fake or counterfeit items via eBay and in some cases not know it.

9. dcxbox

dcxbox Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 18, 2007
    United States
    know any links to a legit 2 gig one. ? i never bought one and i just am looking for the real thing, i dont feel liek wasting money. you can just pm me if ya want or post it here.