What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I have heard that this cart stores its firmware onboard the actual cart itself and not on the microSD like almost all other carts. I have heard that it has a small storage on the cart itself that it uses to hold the firmware so that you don't need to have a microSD loaded with a firmware file like other carts like acekard 2 and such and that for updating all you do is run an update.evo file from your microSD card and it will update the firmware that is stored inside the cart and then you can erase the update file from your microsd card. Is this all correct? Have I been lied to or is this all true? If this is all true then you can put any persons microsd card into your cyclo even if they don't have the cyclo firmware on the SD card and you should be able to play their roms right? Thanks for all your help again GBAtemp!

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Not all flashcarts use the same naming scheme for save files (though most do), so while you could just pop in a memory card from a different flashcart and play the games, the saves might not work without renaming them first.

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
if you migrate from an R4 or such, it is pop in and play. Any card using raw .sav with the game name in the game folder should work perfectly fine, and that is the most common save type as used by the R4, the acekards, EZ-Flash V, EDGE, DSTT and others.
It outputs raw fixed 512kB, but should be able to read raw variable size as well.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
On that too Destructobot, does the Supercard DS-1 still use [first 6 letters of rom name]~1.sav as their save files? Or did they go to full file name? If its the old way, then it won't work. If its been updated w/ the [full rom title].sav, then it will work.

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alright thank you for your answers guys. I don't much care if the saves work or not. That was a hypothetical situation so you guys could more or less understand the questions I was asking. So the cyclo does indeed store the firmware on board the cart then since it can do that huh?

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
yep. some parts are always run from on-board memory, others are installed on first boot.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
golden said:
Alright thank you for your answers guys. I don't much care if the saves work or not. That was a hypothetical situation so you guys could more or less understand the questions I was asking. So the cyclo does indeed store the firmware on board the cart then since it can do that huh?
Yeah it has 2MB of on-board memory for the recovery partition, firmware, default skin, and default cheats.

However I think that this chip is what's using up a lot of extra battery life. Not worth it in my opinion but meh.
yaynds.gif

golden

What a Digital Dummy!!!
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
golden said:
Yeah it has 2MB of on-board memory for the recovery partition, firmware, default skin, and default cheats.

However I think that this chip is what's using up a lot of extra battery life. Not worth it in my opinion but meh.
yaynds.gif
I think it is worth it in my opinion. It creates a lot of possibilities for the cyclo evo.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Good night