Cyclo Firmware Question

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by golden, Aug 7, 2008.

Aug 7, 2008

Cyclo Firmware Question by golden at 9:38 AM (1,469 Views / 0 Likes) 12 replies

1. golden
    OP

Member golden What a Digital Dummy!!!

United States
    I have heard that this cart stores its firmware onboard the actual cart itself and not on the microSD like almost all other carts. I have heard that it has a small storage on the cart itself that it uses to hold the firmware so that you don't need to have a microSD loaded with a firmware file like other carts like acekard 2 and such and that for updating all you do is run an update.evo file from your microSD card and it will update the firmware that is stored inside the cart and then you can erase the update file from your microsd card. Is this all correct? Have I been lied to or is this all true? If this is all true then you can put any persons microsd card into your cyclo even if they don't have the cyclo firmware on the SD card and you should be able to play their roms right? Thanks for all your help again GBAtemp!

2. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Yes this is all true.

3. Toni Plutonij

Former Staff Toni Plutonij *has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!

Croatia
    Cyclo actually generates "system" folder on its own!! So tehnically, you can use anybodys microSD..but I never tried it!

4. Destructobot

Member Destructobot Crave the Hammer

United States
    Not all flashcarts use the same naming scheme for save files (though most do), so while you could just pop in a memory card from a different flashcart and play the games, the saves might not work without renaming them first.

5. Fat D

Member Fat D GBAtemp Maniac

Germany
    if you migrate from an R4 or such, it is pop in and play. Any card using raw .sav with the game name in the game folder should work perfectly fine, and that is the most common save type as used by the R4, the acekards, EZ-Flash V, EDGE, DSTT and others.
    It outputs raw fixed 512kB, but should be able to read raw variable size as well.

6. Destructobot

United States
    I was mainly referring to carts like the Acekard 2, that name the save files "gamename.nds.sav" instead of "gamename.sav".

7. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    On that too Destructobot, does the Supercard DS-1 still use [first 6 letters of rom name]~1.sav as their save files? Or did they go to full file name? If its the old way, then it won't work. If its been updated w/ the [full rom title].sav, then it will work.

8. Destructobot

United States
    The SCDS1 still uses short filenames, but they should work unless Team Cyclops doesn't know how FAT filenames work.

9. Fat D

Germany
    SFN FAT is not recognized with an LFN game.

10. golden
    OP

United States
    Alright thank you for your answers guys. I don't much care if the saves work or not. That was a hypothetical situation so you guys could more or less understand the questions I was asking. So the cyclo does indeed store the firmware on board the cart then since it can do that huh?

11. Fat D

Germany
    yep. some parts are always run from on-board memory, others are installed on first boot.

12. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    Yeah it has 2MB of on-board memory for the recovery partition, firmware, default skin, and default cheats.

However I think that this chip is what's using up a lot of extra battery life. Not worth it in my opinion but meh. [​IMG]

13. golden
    OP

United States
    I think it is worth it in my opinion. It creates a lot of possibilities for the cyclo evo.