'Cyberpunk: Edgerunners' announced, a standalone anime set in the universe of 'Cyberpunk 2077'

edgerunner.jpg
After the new Cyberpunk 2077 trailer released today, CD Projekt Red announced its new project: Cyberpunk: Edgerunners. Developed in partnership with Netflix, Studio Trigger and CD Projekt Red, Cyberpunk: Edgerunners is a standalone anime set in the same universe as Cyberpunk 2077. It has been in the works since 2018 and will be 10 episodes-long once it airs with the following premise:

CYBERPUNK: EDGERUNNERS tells a standalone, 10-episode story about a street kid trying to survive in a technology and body modification-obsessed city of the future. Having everything to lose, he chooses to stay alive by becoming an edgerunner—a mercenary outlaw also known as a cyberpunk.

“We are so excited to finally reveal that we are working on an anime in the Cyberpunk world,” said Adam Badowski, Cyberpunk 2077 Game Director and CD PROJEKT RED Head of Studio. “We’ve devoured just about all the cyberpunk fiction there is to watch, read, and play; it’s a genre that leaves so much room for creativity, and has had such a strong influence on us. CYBERPUNK: EDGERUNNERS is our love letter to cyberpunk as a whole, and to stories told in animated form.”

CD Projekt Red will be producing the series, while Studio Trigger will handle the animation of the world of Cyberpunk. Hiroyuki Imaishi (Gurren Lagann, Kill la Kill, Promare) will direct the series and the original score will be composed by Akira Yamaoka (Silent Hill series).

“We at TRIGGER are thrilled to work with CD PROJEKT RED to create a brand-new story set in the world of the highly anticipated Cyberpunk 2077. It’s a huge challenge to adapt this universe into an anime, but we are eager to face it head-on,” said Masahiko Otsuka, CEO, Studio TRIGGER. Director Hiroyuki Imaishi adds, “I’ve always loved cyberpunk as a genre, but always found it difficult to create as an original work. This is why I’m very excited to be working with CD PROJEKT RED on this project. It won’t be easy to please both game and anime fans, but I love a challenge, and I’m looking forward to the production. We’ll do our best to meet and exceed expectations.”

Cyberpunk: Edgerunners will premiere in 2022.

:arrow: SOURCE: GBAtemp Inbox

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the hell, they managed to get Studio TRIGGER on board? What kinds of strings did they pull? Hopefully they won't be too constrained by the game. This could have some real potential so long as they're allowed to work their magic.

Last edited by ChaosEternal,

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Selling chickens before they've even hatched.
Are they really selling anything here? Everybody either already has a Netflix subscription or they don't, this one single anime isn't going to drastically up their subscriber count. Now, Castlevania, The Witcher, AND Cyberpunk 2077? Between the three that's a pretty solid line-up of game-based shows.

Pipistrele

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
What the hell, they managed to get Studio TRIGGER on board? What kinds of strings did they pull? Hopefully they won't be too constrained by the game. This could have some real potential so long as they're allowed to work their magic.
Studio Trigger isn't a stranger to working with videogame studios - they offered their talents for Nintendo, Bamco and even WayForward before that, so in a way it's natural that they'll agree to make a full-fledged licensed adaptation at some point. The question is whether the anime will be any good (as much of a technical powerhouse as they are, their general filmography is hit-or-miss), but time will tell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.