Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This project has been discontinued.
Cyanogen3DS is a work in progress alternative GUI for the 3DS. It aims to act as a replacement homebrew launcher with its modernized UI and exclusive features. This project has been ported from CyanogenPSP - A project that aims to do the same, but on a different device (PlayStation Portable). The project is still heavily a work in progress, so please feel free to contribute or report any issues found within development builds.

Current Version:
v1.0
Current Stage: Alpha​

screenshot0002_zpsy8uxpqwp.png

screenshot0000_zpstb9j854h.png

screenshot0003_zpstaajodxq.png

screenshot0005_zps5ftewgx2.png

screenshot0001_zpsxkqancsh.png

Changelog: Cyanogen3DS 1.0

Code:
- Implemented digital time and day/night widget.
- Includes battery status, which displays 20-100 in incremental of 20's and charging status.
- Implemented basic lock screen. Press L to activate and  'A' on the lock icon to unlock. That's all it does for now.
- Implemented navigation bar. Touching the back button on the bottom screen takes you back to a previous state. Touching the home button takes you home.
- Implemented Power menu. Press 'Y' will open the power menu.
- Implemented settings. Only certain functions work as of now, such as About, Performance -> Storage Management and Developer Options.
- Implemented About section which displays the following:
    + Current Cyanogen3DS Version along with compile date.
    + 3DS Model, region and Mac Address.
- Implemented Performance -> Storage Management which displays the following:
    + Displays SD storage and CTR NAND storage statuses
- Implemented Developer Options which lets you do the following:
    + Toggle Dark theme mode
    + Toggle experimental features. - This needs to be turned on to access some restricted features that are still heavily a work in progress. (These include the swap display toggle, file manager and other features under the hood.)
    + Switch display toggle (Doesn't work yet, but can be turned on after enabling experimental features. I'd advise you not to do since it has barely been touched).
- Fixed WiFi status. Now displays WiFi Status correctly in a range from NULL to 3 (Null, 0, 1, 2, 3)[/LEFT]
- Date and time is now displayed properly. This includes day (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc) and date (1-28/29/30/31) and month.
- File checks have been fixed. Certain settings no longer resets upon reboot.
- Fixed missing backdrop asset in app drawer when dark theme is enabled.
- Slightly improved quick settings. It is currently disabled until it is fully fixed.
- Added model check for N3DS models. If detected performance boost will be enabled.
- Slightly improved speed by loading all fonts at start up, rather than loading and unloading in real time.
- Fixed many mis-alignment issues.
- Made many code clean ups and changes to improve overall stability.

Downloads:

Cyanogen3DS Alpha v1.0

Source Code

Last edited by Joel16,

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
well, for starters the name would confuse too many people. it's not really running 'cyanogenmod', it's not even running android.
we don't have enough control of the 3ds to load up a 'custom' app at boot/emunand boot, so it would need to be loaded up separately by the user.
the 3ds is not really used for much media, unlike the psp, which supports more media stuff.
to load a game you just click the icon, it's much easier than psp to start up content (i do like the xmb but simply touching an icon on the home menu grid is faster, you can't get much more simple than that)

plus there is already 'sunshell', which has stuff like a calculator, ftp server, homebrew launcher, etc.
if you really want to make it then go ahead, but i personally think (so no offense) it is not needed and would just be a waste of your time.

- so this would be loaded from either the home menu, or a homebrew launcher. it seems a waste to load a homebrew launcher from another homebrew launcher. and if you can load this from the home menu (= if you have signature checks patched on your 3ds), then you don't need a homebrew launcher since you can run homebrew form your home menu... :)

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
imho I think hbmenu for ninjhax looks pretty crappy and doesn't even have folders. It would be nice if a more feature laden and modern alternative would pop up.

And cearp, this could always launch straight from the ninjhax bootloader as boot.3dsx so you wouldn't be going menu to menu.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should be "Lollipop3DS" with Cyanogenmod logo, and if it doesn't "support piracy", does that mean that you won't be able to launch pirated CIA files? Other than that, it's kind of unintuitive to use on a PSP, but it's an interesting enough concept on the 3DS, and I'll be curious to see how you'd make it work out.

Reactions: Joel16

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
Should be "Lollipop3DS" with Cyanogenmod logo, and if it doesn't "support piracy", does that mean that you won't be able to launch pirated CIA files? Other than that, it's kind of unintuitive to use on a PSP, but it's an interesting enough concept on the 3DS, and I'll be curious to see how you'd make it work out.

if this could ever launch 3ds content (like games and apps), it wouldn't matter if the game installed was pirated or not. if signatures checks are patched on your 3ds, it would load it. if not, not.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, for starters the name would confuse too many people. it's not really running 'cyanogenmod', it's not even running android.
we don't have enough control of the 3ds to load up a 'custom' app at boot/emunand boot, so it would need to be loaded up separately by the user.
the 3ds is not really used for much media, unlike the psp, which supports more media stuff.
to load a game you just click the icon, it's much easier than psp to start up content (i do like the xmb but simply touching an icon on the home menu grid is faster, you can't get much more simple than that)

plus there is already 'sunshell', which has stuff like a calculator, ftp server, homebrew launcher, etc.
if you really want to make it then go ahead, but i personally think (so no offense) it is not needed and would just be a waste of your time.

- so this would be loaded from either the home menu, or a homebrew launcher. it seems a waste to load a homebrew launcher from another homebrew launcher. and if you can load this from the home menu (= if you have signature checks patched on your 3ds), then you don't need a homebrew launcher since you can run homebrew form your home menu... :)

I never called it CyanogenMod or Android, yes it has "Cyanogen" in the name but that's because I want to sort of hint where I got the design from. I don't plan on changing the name, besides I strictly stated in all my threads that this isn't Native android or CyanogenMod. It's just a custom GUI written in C from scratch as a hobby. I've stated that in all my threads, so that people don't get the wrong impression of my project. If they're not gonna read it properly then that's their problem. Thank you for being honest though, I take no offense with what you said, and completely agree with your point. But this is just your opinion, if there are people who really would like to see this and would give me enough support, then I can give it a shot. If not then I don't plan on wasting my time.

I assumed it would be full-fledged OS, but if it's a menu, then nothing really. ^^;

No, I'm not sure about the 3DS's hardware capabilities but from what I heard, as of now I don't think it's possible to have a linux kernel running on 3DS. Correct me if I'm wrong, because I only just got here. Either way I never coded this to be an OS, I only coded it as a sort of 'launcher' or an alternative GUI for the PSP.

imho I think hbmenu for ninjhax looks pretty crappy and doesn't even have folders. It would be nice if a more feature laden and modern alternative would pop up.

And cearp, this could always launch straight from the ninjhax bootloader as boot.3dsx so you wouldn't be going menu to menu.

Don't know too much of how the hbmenu looks lol, so I can't say anything about that. I've seen screenshots and videos but not too much in detail of what it offers. Thanks for understanding my point though. My aim is to develop a more feature offering, alternative GUI for the system. Well it's not something that's never been done, but something more of a 'modernized' design, with some nifty features.

Lollipop 3DS? lol no. I mean I get why you'd want to call it that, but no. No offence but I don't like that name. And as to what it would support, that is still undetermined. If I do consider developing this, then I'd like to give the users what they want. Not something that's over the edge like "All0w us to pl@y w11 roms plz". Besides I really don't want to support piracy, I might just go with something that allows you to launch whatever's in your slot, and homebrews. This is just my concept, I haven't begun working on this yet.

puss2puss

.. well ..
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

I know what you mean and tou definitly should try Sunshell3ds made by Rinnetamante..you can boot into it instead of the homebrew launcher. ..a great alternative to smealum's launcher and with lots of great features :)

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Haha, PPSSPP on PSP :P That made me chuckle.
If this could work as a full replacement to the 3DS home menu and system settings, then it would be very interesting.
Otherwise if it will simply be for launching things then I don't see much point in it, it's just an extra step to launch your game/homebrew.

The name is extremely misleading though. I would change it if I were you. It sounds like an Android port to 3DS, and the question mark in the title made me think this was a thread asking if an CM port to 3DS would be possible. Which would be ridiculous, the 3DS isn't nearly powerful enough to run any version of Android well :P

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haha, PPSSPP on PSP :P That made me chuckle.
If this could work as a full replacement to the 3DS home menu and system settings, then it would be very interesting.
Otherwise if it will simply be for launching things then I don't see much point in it, it's just an extra step to launch your game/homebrew.

The name is extremely misleading though. I would change it if I were you. It sounds like an Android port to 3DS, and the question mark in the title made me think this was a thread asking if an CM port to 3DS would be possible. Which would be ridiculous, the 3DS isn't nearly powerful enough to run any version of Android well :P

lol
Dang I was gonna change the title to "Cyanogen3DS - An Alternative GUI Menu for 3DS...?" but the edit button wont let me. Even when I select the more options button. Anyways like I said earlier, I don't plan on changing the name, but I will include, " An Alternative GUI for the 3DS," that should alert the reader that this isn't native android. I'm still not sure about a 'full replacement' to the 3DS home menu, but for now I'm planning to make this similar to sunshell from Rinnegatamante. Ofcourse with my own features, and stuff. I plan on porting all the features I have established on the PSP version. These are:

- Web browser
- File Manager
- Customization such as changing wallpapers, changing the way certain things look, and work etc.
- Homebrew launcher
- Image viewer
- Music player
- Certain system settings
- Calculator (Haven't done this on PSP yet)
- And some other things that aren't coming to mind right now :P

Just so you guys know you'd usually see a lot of shells on the PSP but these are all LUA shells, and honestly I'm not a big fan of them. Coding it on C makes it more challenging for me, and I like challenges lol. Just so you know, this is one of the few alternative GUI's on PSP that offers this many features, coded in C.

pastaconsumer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3DS is not like a PSP... I don't believe that can be done on a 3DS. Linux? Sure. It has been done on Gamecube, Wii, so I think 3DS could work. Cyanogen has never been, and probably will never be on 3DS or on a Nintendo Platform. Prove me wrong, and you get my highest respects.

Zerousen

【=◈︿◈=】
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lollipop 3DS? lol no. I mean I get why you'd want to call it that, but no. No offence but I don't like that name. And as to what it would support, that is still undetermined. If I do consider developing this, then I'd like to give the users what they want. Not something that's over the edge like "All0w us to pl@y w11 roms plz". Besides I really don't want to support piracy, I might just go with something that allows you to launch whatever's in your slot, and homebrews. This is just my concept, I haven't begun working on this yet.

What I meant to say was that the only thing that was "Cyanogen" about your menu was the logo and probably the file browser. It isn't as if Cyanogen created the material design language.
The 3DS is not like a PSP... I don't believe that can be done on a 3DS. Linux? Sure. It has been done on Gamecube, Wii, so I think 3DS could work. Cyanogen has never been, and probably will never be on 3DS or on a Nintendo Platform. Prove me wrong, and you get my highest respects.

It's just a menu, it isn't a full fledged port of Android, and Cyanogenmod is a modification of Android, not it's own OS or anything like that.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What I meant to say was that the only thing that was "Cyanogen" about your menu was the logo and probably the file browser. It isn't as if Cyanogen created the material design language.

Yes, like I said. I know why you'd want to call it that, but not so much into that name. Looking at the votes, this doesn't seem to going so well. Didn't expect much users to vote, 'no'. Meh whatever, I'll let the poll go on for the remaining 9 days. I'll make my decision after that.

chrisluna413

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Read the post, not just the title.

Reactions: Sev501 and Joel16

KingOfHell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As someone who used to run a Windows Phone 7 styled launcher on an ios themed android rom, I'm all about the customization.
This however, doesn't seem like something I'd have much use for. I tend to spend way less time in the homebrew launcher than I do anywhere else, so I can't see the point in using it.

If you managed to get it running a home menu replacement for emu-nand, that'd be another story.

Also, I love how attached developers get to misleading names like "Cydia3ds","Cyanogen3ds", etc.
It's one thing to take inspiration from something you love. It's another to flat out copy it and rip off the name.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: