Hacking Customs charge of £11 !?

ackers

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I ordered a black CycloDS from gamersection.ca (a Canadian reseller) 3 weeks ago. I paid in total around £35 with international shipping fees as I am in UK. Finally, three weeks later something comes in the post... but it's not my CycloDS, it's a piece of card from Royal Mail saying my item is in Customs and I will have to pay £11 to get it. I seriously was not expecting that. I thought the item would come straight to me, not to Customs. After all, I payed all the international shipping rates so why the hell do I have to pay an extra £11 !? I feel like I've been conned
frown.gif

What do I do, do I contact gamersection.ca or do I just pay the stupid fee? I wish I just bought from a UK site and I wouldn't have to pay this £46 and I wouldn't have waited 3 weeks. >:(

D

Deleted User

Seems a bit expensive to me. I only got charged about £3 or £4 on a similarly priced item. It definetly should not be that high.

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
it's called import tax and you take risks ordering stuff from overseas, you really have to research what website you buy from and see if they are UK import friendly, you can't just expect to buy from any international website and expect to get away without paying import tax.

basically if you order anything over £18 overseas you will be charged import tax + a handing fee from the royal mail, if the seller marks the item as a gift and declared the item on the invoice as low value you can avoid import tax but you will need to contact the seller to see if they will do that for you.

there is very few overseas shops i will use online due to import tax.

Agjsdfd

My title
Trophies
XP
Country
I have heard of that custom paying thingy before. Its an airmal service, but as far as I read in yahoo, and other google searchings this service takes longer.
Basically cheap shipping, but the reciever is feeling it
dry.gif
(paying all the cost...)

gedly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I ordered a black CycloDS from gamersection.ca (a Canadian reseller) 3 weeks ago. I paid in total around £35 with international shipping fees as I am in UK. Finally, three weeks later something comes in the post... but it's not my CycloDS, it's a piece of card from Royal Mail saying my item is in Customs and I will have to pay £11 to get it. I seriously was not expecting that. I thought the item would come straight to me, not to Customs. After all, I payed all the international shipping rates so why the hell do I have to pay an extra £11 !? I feel like I've been conned
frown.gif

What do I do, do I contact gamersection.ca or do I just pay the stupid fee? I wish I just bought from a UK site and I wouldn't have to pay this £46 and I wouldn't have waited 3 weeks. >:(

It's quite an eye opener when you discover just how un-free world trade still is, isn't it?

Countries pretending to reduce trade tariffs while simultaneously putting in sneaky "admin" charges like you have paid is as old as the hills.

And yet, where jobs are concerned, we're all in a highly competitive global market and must fear for our livelihood. Funny that, isn't it?

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
hahaha, probably why bamboogaming labels all their packages as gifts to the value of $10

I was going to say the same thing.
laugh.gif

I don't know how the import charge is worked out. But its something like 17.5% VAT and then the royal mail charge you a fee for paying it, which seems to be anything they please. Also when they work out the import charge they take the value of the item, postage on it doesn't count.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night