Custom WiiU (haxchi) forwarders to vWii Homebrew + All-in-one Guide

Discussion in 'Wii U - Homebrew' started by Nomelas, Jul 15, 2017.

1. RONICSTAR

RONICSTAR Member

Newcomer
    Jul 7, 2004
    everything is working great, didn't transfer hbl2flo - thank you!

2. duffmmann

duffmmann GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 11, 2009
    United States
    edit: fixed my problem, I was just being dumb. This is great!

Last edited by duffmmann, Oct 26, 2017
  3. Madalone

Madalone Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2014
    Portugal
    Lisboa
    this is great, thanks!
    how would one go about creating a forwarder to a vwii virtual console game like Retro City Rampage?

4. Nomelas
    OP

Nomelas GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2015
    Canada
    simply follow the guide :) wii ware wads all have a 4 letter code that you can use, similar to homebrew forwarders.

According to: http://www.gametdb.com/Wii/WR5E it's WR5E

Madalone likes this.
  5. Madalone

Madalone Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2014
    Portugal
    Lisboa
    awesomeness! thanks for the quick reply :D
    imma give it a go right away!

edit: it works!

Last edited by Madalone, Oct 27, 2017
  6. Madalone

Madalone Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2014
    Portugal
    Lisboa
    this is very sweet. so in theory i can create as many launchers as the number of haxchi titles allow by changing the config.txt to for example default=wiiu/apps/fpiiu-cbhc/ftpiiu.elf
    one thing though, when exiting homebrew it exits to the homebrew launcher and pressing home from there exits to Mii Maker.

is there any way i can home out to the homescreen instead? or am i looking in the wrong place and there's a custom launcher creator tutorial somewhere i've missed?

7. Nomelas
    OP

Nomelas GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2015
    Canada
    believe it or not, there's actually a file you need to delete on the root of your sd card, i forget what it's called. can you post a screenshot of your sd root?

EDIT: it's boot.elf

btw: I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYONE WHO INSTALLS THE SAME DS TITLE THEY USED FOR CBHC!!!!! you have been warned (again)! :P

Last edited by Nomelas, Oct 27, 2017
    Madalone likes this.
  8. Nomelas
    OP

Nomelas GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2015
    Canada
    btw, if you don't mind sharing, I can add it to the OP (don't include any copy write material, such as the wad)

9. Madalone

Madalone Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2014
    Portugal
    Lisboa
    i've deleted boot.elf from the root of my sd card and it's still the same: after loading a haxchi inject pointing to wiiu/apps/menu_sort/menu_sort.elf or wiiu/apps/fpiiu-cbhc/ftpiiu.elf and i wanna quit it, i hit the home button, it exits straight to the HBL. when i hit the home button once again, it exits to the Mii Maker. from there, when i hit home, i get the prompt to close the app and from there i can get to the homescreen. it'd be pretty handy if it exited straight to the homescreen after asking (or not) whether you wanna close the app.

these are the contents of my sd root (no hidden files or folders besides System Volume Information):
    apps
    cbhc
    codes
    controllers
    games
    haxchi
    install
    retroarch
    roms
    saves
    txtcodes
    wad
    wbfs
    WiiFlow
    wiiu
    hbl2rcr.txt
    hbl2wfl.txt
    iplusa.bin
    keys.bin
    nincfg.bin
    segaboot.bin
    wuphaxBackup.app

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

will do soon. how would you like me to share it? a reply here or shall i pm you the steps and files (except copyrighted material) i used?

10. Nomelas
    OP

Nomelas GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2015
    Canada
    That's strange. I only ever experienced that when having that file on the root of my sd

Just the tgas you might have created, if you did :D and all the files you would have modified.

11. Madalone

Madalone Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2014
    Portugal
    Lisboa
    alright, i think that's the lot. i do have to say, i wasn't really thinking about other people looking at these so the menu_sorter tgas look real shit :lol:

the homebrew behaves the same way as it does if i load HBL from CBHC boot menu: no prompts and returning to Mii Maker when hitting the home button.

@Nomelas i've been doing some research and where i get stuck at is converting elf to rpx in order to replace values and files from the code/content/meta structure off a working forwarder, pack it with NUSPacker and then install with wup installer.. i'm no dev so this is as far as i get :/
    perhaps you know more and can point me in the right direction?

Attached Files:

Nomelas likes this.
  12. Nomelas
    OP

Nomelas GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2015
    Canada
    you dont need to convert the elf, you just need to modify the hex, its very simple

13. Madalone

Madalone Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2014
    Portugal
    Lisboa
    yes, using your tutorial it is very simple. i'm just trying to do something different in my attempt to get the homebrew to quit elegantly: with or without prompt and to the homescreen, not Mii Maker.

ok so this is how i was attempting to do it:
    i want a menu_sort channel and i have no idea how to create a forwarder pointing to an app in my sd:/wiiu/apps/menu_sort/menu_sort.elf. after some research through the forums, i thought i'd take a look-see at the folder structure of the installed HBL on my wiiu though ftpiiu_everywhere.

i saw in the code/content/meta folders there's xml files that can be edited for titleid and rpx file to load. so i thought, if i can create the same structure and replace and edit in the right places, then pack it to install it with wup installer, i'd have a standalone channel.

both the apps i'm trying to do (ftpiiu_everywhere and menu_sorter) only come in elf files. so i tried to covert them to rpx with elf2rpl and makerpl (both 32 and 64) and while elf2rpl does create an rpx file and, after the proper editing of xml files and such i manage to pack the files with NUSPacker and install them with wup installer, the channel's useless and it crashes the wiiu..

makerpl gives "Error ".\ftpiiu.elf" has no relocations. Cannot make an RPL from it. Return -1"

as you can see, i'm no dev.. any idea what i'm doing wrong? am i wrong to suppose this way would get the homebrew to quit elegantly?

Last edited by Madalone, Oct 28, 2017
    Nomelas likes this.
  14. Nomelas
    OP

Nomelas GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2015
    Canada
    Updated the OP, replaced the wad folder with "channel" and I also updated all the zips, renamed "wiiflow" to "wiiflowlite" to avoid confusion between the 2 and a few other minor tweeks.
    Also added in @Madalone contribution

Madalone likes this.
  15. Madalone

Madalone Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 10, 2014
    Portugal
    Lisboa
    made a new one for Swapdrc & Lite. thought i'd share it too..
    credit for the images goes to Yahya14's youtube channel (no affiliation, just googled the image) and the icon is obviously taken from the homebrew.

Attached Files:

Last edited by Madalone, Nov 22, 2017
  16. Drak0rex

Drak0rex GBAtemp Addict

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    has anyone made one for non-lite wiiflow, or is there some reason to use it over AbdallaTerro's Mastermod?

17. Drak0rex

Drak0rex GBAtemp Addict

Oct 12, 2014
    United States
    has anyone made one for non-lite wiiflow, or is there some reason to use it over AbdallaTerro's Mastermod?

18. marcgnd

marcgnd Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Hi @Nomelas many thanks for releasing this forwarders!

I am trying to boot them using Wii U Pro controller, without needing to have the gamepad powered on.
    What I did was to edit NAND title meta.xml

Code:
    <drc_use type="unsignedInt" length="4">2</drc_use>

Changed to:

<drc_use type="unsignedInt" length="4">1</drc_use>
    So it doesn't ask for the controller, but when Its about to load, I get black screen and error "-3".

With the gamepad powered on I can boot without any issues but it would be great to skip this gamepad requirement :)

19. Nomelas
    OP

Nomelas GBAtemp Fan

May 6, 2015
    Canada
    I would suggest just using a vc inject instead at this point.

20. cagerhager

cagerhager Member

Newcomer
    Feb 17, 2018
    United States
    So I've been trying to create a channel forwarder for the Wii U homepage for sign c2w patcher, and I know this is more for the vWii, but i haven't been able to find assistance elsewhere. I created new icons and pics for the haxchi and changed the config and title txt files, but when I go to install it, i get "???" and no name for the icon. I'm installing over animal crossing for the DS, Which was installed using WUP installer. and following this tutorial (which was a base for this forum thread)

https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-how-to-forward-homebrew-apps-straight-to-your-homemenu.476562/

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks!

21. Milenko

Milenko GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 16, 2017
    Australia
    It's really picky with icon.tga, I've had times where I couldn't get it to work until I kept remaking the picture and it finally did

I also made a forwarder for vwii overclock and it crashed the wii u as soon as I loaded it but ymmv

You could try installing it with the default haxchi picture and see if it works, then you know that it's icon.tga playing up

cagerhager likes this.