custom weather and news channel?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by dlxowhd, Dec 11, 2008.

Dec 11, 2008
  1. dlxowhd
    OP

Member dlxowhd GBAtemp Fan

United States
    like custom wii shop channel (where we can use it without updating the firmware), are there custom weather channel and new channel so we can access them without having to turn wiiconnect 24 on?

2. kitt050383

Member kitt050383 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Not yet... [​IMG] But that's a good idea...

-Kitt050383

3. dlxowhd
    OP

United States
    yeah i seldom used weather channel but i kinda miss the news channel... i liked it... i used it regularly before downgrading and installing homebrew.
    now i don't wanna turn wiiconnect 24 on.. ever...

4. dmonkey21

Member dmonkey21 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    What's wrong with wiiconnect24? I've always kept it on and my wii has homebrew and nothing bad happened to me...

5. Tichinde925

Member Tichinde925 Marth Ditto Money Match?

United States
    You already downgraded. Turning on wiiconnect24 will not do any harm.

6. dlxowhd
    OP

United States
    if you have 3.4, wii will update automatically.
    even if you don't have 3.4, wii will ask you to update and if you are away or something so if it hangs for some time, it will automatically update too.. at least that's what i heard.
    so i will never turn wiiconnect 24 on.

7. slaphappygamer

Member slaphappygamer GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i have a 3.2u wii and i have always kept wiiconnect24 on. ive never been asked to update. really, why turn it off. i also know that some games require you to turn the feature on. WHATS THE BIG DEAL?!!??!

8. deervark

Member deervark GBAtemp Regular

United States
    hopefully someone can validate me on this. my wii has NEVER had wiiconnect24 turned on. i've never even gotten past the user agreement part. BUT i did get the news/weather channels to work once, by accident.

i was using a really weak (neighbors) wifi signal and it was to weak for the wii to pick up so i used a laptop that was placed strategically to pick up the signal, and then a wifi router connected to the laptop's ethernet port. this amplified the signal enough for wii to pick up and i played brawl for a little while and then showed my mom the weather globe spinning. a week later our wifi was back on and i haven't tried it since.

now, with my own wifi the channels wont work. i don't understand it, and i don't know if i could do it again, but if there is enough interest i will try.

i do think that i was messing with the wii's internet settings to get this to work because i was told ad-hoc networks wouldnt work, but again i'm not sure if the network i made was even ad-hoc.

9. djdynamite123

Banned djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

United Kingdom
    i will never turn wiiconnect24 off, on 3.2E like always (until i decided to test 23rd update and replied back to people on here of the effects) and i was the tester for waninkoko's downgraders [​IMG]

10. IronMask

Member IronMask Official WiiStuntman First to Test ciosCorp!

United States
    Somehow we got off the subject a little...but if any of you remember... Forsaekn and a few others said that they tore the 3.4 update apart looking for an autoupdate and there was NO such thing... so I think that's still a myth. Furthermore, Nintendo is not allowed to update without your permission in the US. I am still unsure of other countries.. but anyways.. who cares?! Seems like there's always a patchmii workaround that fixes what Nintendo tries to spring on us. Furthermore, hopefully Fors is busy putting the final touches on his highly anticipated cSM. http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=115813 (I an not weeding through the thread, but I know he said it in this thread.)

11. Player77

Newcomer Player77 Member

Netherlands
    My news-channel has never worked here. I always get an error when trying to run it.
    Pal 3.2E console.

12. djdynamite123

United Kingdom
    What error code?

13. Twiggy12

Member Twiggy12 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    it sends u a message but not a popup, i have never turned internet off since i got my router and im still on 3.3E ( i think) and i still have homebrew, and have only been asked once about the upgrade so theres no problem

14. elfsander

Member elfsander GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    I'm on 3.4e, with WiiConnect24 on AND homebrew installed. And all are still working.

15. harryk

Member harryk GBAtemp Regular

Austria
    We don't know yet if 3.4 will auto update. Nintendo included it into the contract, but that doesn't mean anything...

There are reasons for turning off Wiiconnect24:
    - Saving power (it doesn't need much, but STILL)
    - TV switches between AV(RGB) and TV automatically if off (not the case with WiiConnect24 on my TV)

The second point is the most important for me. I don't wanna switch to AV every time I turn on (or off) the Wii.

16. djdynamite123

United Kingdom
    Your'e actually right there, my T.V.jumps straight to next available AV which had live input, if there's nothing on then the T.V. will jsut stay blank or jump onto AV1 or TV and switch off in 10 minutes...
    I have my wi connected into my AV2 which supports NTSC, i didn't know that as i use to force pal 50 on AV1, but then i changed scart and was like YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, and i then read my manual hehe, FUCK what have i just said i didn't read when i first got it! [​IMG]

I personally have wiiconnect24 on, but i only have the wii powered on when i use it, and that may only be 1-2 hours day if that....
    I have too much electrical equipment and i can't see the point in leaving the wii powered on 24/7

17. elfsander

Member elfsander GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    I don't use/have an RGB cable, simply because of this reason.

18. djdynamite123

United Kingdom
    So do I when i'm not using the buggery

Also I use RGB, don't have a problem....hmm

19. Player77

Newcomer Player77 Member

Netherlands
    This is really weird....

I just tried to obtain the error code by running the channel..
    and now all in a sudden it's working
    The only thing I installed past 3.2E was the IOS51 and Shop channel patch by tona
    but I can hardly imagine that has anything to do with it.....