Custom Robo Arena

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by mflo, Mar 21, 2007.

Mar 21, 2007

Custom Robo Arena by mflo at 4:46 AM (2,002 Views / 0 Likes) 22 replies

1. mflo
    OP

Member mflo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I just downloaded the rom and tried it out. It's pretty cool. What's funny is that outside of the 3D battles, when you're moving your character around, everything is 2d, Reminds me of pokemon. I thought the whole thing would be 3d. ah well...
    I think they half-assed the 2d graphics, they could have done better.

2. andrew505

Newcomer andrew505 Member

Canada
    ive got it downloaded, i've heard mixed reviews, tho im sure i could get into it

3. Ryoku

Member Ryoku GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I love custom robo and I was pretty excited when I found out it finally got dumped today. Playing it right now. It looks good though.

4. haveasafeday

Newcomer haveasafeday Member

United Kingdom
    I haven't really played it much yet but yeah the 2d bits looks like complete crap while the 3d bits look quality

5. Ryoku

Member Ryoku GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's actually pretty good. The story is average at best and there's alot of useless stuff thrown in there, but other than that it's pretty good. The battles are pretty good, but not very challenging yet. I wish I had a wireless router or a usb adapter because I've heard WiFi for this game is insanely fun.

6. mflo
    OP

Member mflo GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I've been playing all day lol. I love the battles. Wifi IS SO FRICKIN FUN!

7. andrew505

Canada
    ill give it a run on wifi tomorrow.

8. andrew505

Canada
    --Double Post--

9. xbandaidx

Member xbandaidx GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I have yet to try Wi-Fi yet, but I also heard the Wi-Fi is pretty fun.

I don't know where you guys are coming from with the 2D graphics, they are pretty good, not the best I ever seen. I find myself playing this quite a bit lately.

I do however wish it has more help on learning certain things in battle, in any case this is the only US release game I know of that has Wi-Fi and a fight type battle system where you actually control what the robo does.

10. Tenkaichi

Member Tenkaichi GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Indeed... fighting humans instead of the AI puts a different twist on the game, although for me there was a minor lag in the gameplay online.

On the flipside to the 2D thing, I'd be pretty pissed off if they sacrificed the quality of the 3D battles just to make the walk around maps look prettier. Though again, why didn't they? The rom isn't max size or anything...

I agree that there isn't really a lot of in-game instruction, it's more like a "find out for yourself" type of deal. I expected the girl in the beginning of the game to start actually speaking while I was fighting the other robo (like the great "support" she is) [​IMG].

I'm a pretty big fan of this type of game though... it really does remind me of a combination of Virtual ON and/or Armored Core (PSX).

11. xbandaidx

United States
    Yeah, well I'm a big anime fan, and the game just has me thinking of mecha and whatnot, even know there are very few mecha anime I like. Anyways as for the 2D graphics, the game was originally made for GBA as claimed by the research I did on it, but than NOISE (the dev) decided to instead bring it to the DS, from a business point of view it wouldn't make much sense to trash all the work they had already put in for a GBA version.

I have yet to try the Wi-Fi the reason why I haven't is because I'm assuming the robo you build/customize in single mode is whats used on Wi-Fi? In any case, this is one of the games lately I have been spending a lot of time on.

12. Antihero2007

Member Antihero2007 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    The Graphics are ok but I don't like the way the main character looks the way his hair moves when he walks left or right really annoys me and I actually find that I want him to loss battles even though I'm him. Oh and plus theres so much pointless and annoying text, the breakfast scenes and dinner scenes really get on my nerves now.

13. xbandaidx

United States
    I thought that same thing too about the breakfast and dinner part, theres a lot of repeats in certain parts of it, other than that I don't notice anything about this hair problem you are having. I've just learned the Soulboost move today, and the story is getting a little more interesting with the illegal parts and liv's special ability. Anywho, you'll have to play to find out that stuff, I'm not gonna ruin it. I would continue to say the story is fairly average or above average, I certainly haven't come across something this before.

I'm still trying to perfect my MAX combos, but I have learned today that talking to people around town is pretty informative as I learned more about gameplay from them than the other main characters.

14. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    very good game but cheaters on WiFi (cheap loozers!!!!!!!)

15. Antihero2007

Member Antihero2007 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    I'm just about to learn the soulboost I just have to beat those two guys. The combat is quite good and I like the pose stuff. I haven't played on WiFi yet I tried to order the USB but there was a problem and it got cancelled I may try again soon.

16. xbandaidx

United States

How are there cheaters on Wi-Fi?

17. Fulcaire

Member Fulcaire GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Speaking of Custom Robo Arena, my cousin and I had added each other and I noticed right after a battle the little microphone sign and you could activate it by holding X and turn it off by letting go.

I tested it out by holding X and talked RIGHT into the tiny microphone and my cousin ACTUALLY heard it.
    I told him to try it out and I heard him say "YOU SUCK". Which he did say.

Looks like I might not need to buy a microphone that they plan on putting on shelves with Pokemon Pearl/Diamond.

The quality isn't that great though but hey, I never knew about it.

18. juggernaut911

Member juggernaut911 GBAtemp Slut!

United States
    n00b combos

pin u down then use a gun that does some damage keeps u down but doesnt makee u that ghost and they're cheap!

I just RUN reallllllllly fast and bombard them from behind then dodge the cheap shots

19. xbandaidx

United States
    HAHA.

Dude MAX combos are part of the game, it's not cheating at all. Just work on becoming faster and in more control of your robo, and you'll do fine. I do combos whenever I can as its very effective in inflicting damage. They are probably one of the harder elements of the game to master, as it requires fairly precise timing on your part.

As for the microphone part, I did not know that at all. Does this button appear when it asks if you want to add the person as a rival or what part exactly?

20. Swordmyth

Banned Swordmyth Banned

United States
    Does anyone use Action Replay codes such as Unlimited Hp on wifi? I bet alot of people do.