OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I am having some issues with custom robo arena. I am running the north american rom on my cyclo, and it runs perfectly fine. I can use cheats fine as well. The only issue happends when i go into the menu (L+R+A+X+B+Y) I can use the menu, and return to the card, but if i try return to game, the game is frozen, the music continues for about 10 seconds and then stops completely. I cannot go into the LRAXBY menu after that either. This impedes my ability to use the rts in the game. All my other games work fine with the menu, but custom robo arena seems to have problems. any ideas?

EDIT:
Also, the same rom works with the in-game menu on my supercard without any issues

Heran Bago

Where do puyo come from?
Trophies
Website
heranbago.com
XP
Country
United States
I get this problem if the file system on the SD card gets too fragmented. Try copying everything from the micro SD card to your computer, formatting the micro sd card (fat for 2 GB or less, fat32 if it's more) or changing to a different card altogether. Copy the files to the fresh card and you get more reliable use of menu, RTS, and less crashes in those two famous problem NDS titles.

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
You should never defrag an SD card. SDcards only have a finite amount of read/write operations before they 'die'.
Defragging is basically shuffling parts of files around on the drive, and eventually bringing all those file parts back together into one single, 'contiguous' file. Which results in a helluva lot of read/write operations.

So in a nutshell, defragmenting an SD card will reduce its lifespan signifigantly.

What you do instead of defragging the SDcard, is copy all the files from the card, onto your PC, then copy them back onto the SD card again. It doesn't logically sound like that would do anything, but surprisingly, the act of copying and pasting the files to and from the PC actually brings all the fragmented file parts together again, just like new.

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Well, it depends on the quality of your MicroSD card (lower quality cards will give you less write/delete operations), but generally yeah, the card will die faster if you defrag it.

Defragmenting an SD card is pointless anyway. Data access time is equal across the entire disk, so there is very little (if any) file fragmentation occurring at all.

Just to clarify, this applies to all kinds of Flash memory devices: SD cards (including MiniSD and MicroSD), SDHDD, USB flash drives, Mp3 players - basically, any data storage device with no moving parts.

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
No, it doesn't. A format uses very few write/delete operations, compared to a defrag's thousands (sometimes hundreds of thousands).

Reformatting only deletes the File Allocation Table (FAT) info from the first sector of the hard disk (or SD card). The FAT tells the computer where the files are located on the drive. Any data on the card prior to a format doesn't go anywhere, it just gets written over as new files are added to the card.

(That's why it's possible to restore files from a hard disk that's been reformatted or damaged, if you have the right software.)

Check out this informative little video. It shows how much work it takes to copy/paste a folder on a hard disk, compared to doing a quick format. It'll surprise you.

Ya know, It's just occurred to me. I never thought those Cisco A+ classes would pay off on a gamer's scene forum, of all places. Life - it's a funny old thing.
laugh.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night