OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country

QUOTE said:
I have now brought my tool closer to completion, it now has textures! Python 2.5 script can be found here:
http://z64dev.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitw...odel_convert.py

Again, sorry for low fps
frown.gif

ddp127

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
looks really nice, is it a rom patch or just the emulator which patches it on the fly (with a rom patch, it is possible to inject it into a WAD
tongue.gif
)

The Teej

Also known as The Tjalian
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
ddp127 said:
looks really nice, is it a rom patch or just the emulator which patches it on the fly (with a rom patch, it is possible to inject it into a WAD
tongue.gif
)

It's a ROM patch. Basically, the map is created in any 3D modelling tool, and gets exported into a wavefront obj format. Then a python script is run to convert the wavefront obj into a ZMAP (Ocarina map) format. The ZMAP file is then directly injected into the ROM using a Hex Editing tool. Alternatively, I'm sure an IPS patch can be used to put the map in the game, however, you couldn't get the choice of which map to replace using this method.

You couldn't inject it into a WAD directly, as the Ocarina WAD is a compressed ROM wrapped around an emulator - this would make it nigh on impossible to replace a map in the ROM. However, based on other results I've seen with ROM replacement within WADs, replacing the Ocarina ROM with a modified uncompressed Debug ROM in the Ocarina WAD should make it run on the Wii (in theory). I've never really seen anybody inject any Debug ROM into an Ocarina WAD and run it on the Wii, so I can't give you a definitive answer I'm afraid. If you can do this, then yeah, the method I just mentioned would work perfectly fine.

EDIT: Tried to look around to see if anyone else has done this, and well, it doesn't look like anybody has attempted it. I have a copy of Ocarina on VC (legit), so I may have to do it myself and see if it works.
EDIT: I have no bloody clue what I'm doing - someone's gonna have to try this out for me.

The Teej

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
Wilson735 said:
So... what kind of custom maps do you plan on doing? HQ versions?

No, as the post above explains.

Custom Maps are still bound by the limitations of the N64 hardware, just like what the other maps are, so don't expect higher quality remakes of original maps or anything. There's no concrete plans for any type of new map, as generally the hack is created before any sort of idea is make to use of it creatively (generally, everybody else uses the hack creatively).

However, there is one map that's being created from scratch for a mod someone else is doing. Unfortunately, there are only images, and it's still WIP (textures don't all wrap properly):

31052711.png

96092580.png

74913956.png

64854623.png

The Teej

OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
zeldapower.com
XP
Country
kjean said:
offtopic but it's in Korean.
laugh.gif

What the? That's a load of horse shit, it's just a mish-mash of Djipi's Cel-Zelda texture mod, Federelli/K-Man's high-res mod and Zeth Alkar's Renaissance Project texture mod, with only a few textures actually not from those packs (most of which are probably not made by them either).

It pisses me off when people do crap like that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn