ROM Hack Custom Firmware need Gateway to run games?

gutoblauth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I'm trying to find the answer for this and I can't find anywhere.
Does the install of those custom firmware or what makes my 3DS able to run downloaded games without a flash card like gateway or what?
What's the difference between those custom firmwares, like LUMA and the others that I don't remember the names?
If a gateway flash card is needed to play 3ds games even with custom firmwares, so why would I do this firmware install on my 3DS? What do I get from it?

Sorry about the question/thread, but there are many tutos that just say "do this and this, not this" and yet many of them don't says what I'm actually would be doing to my 3DS, just that I'm following a tutorial for something...

Enviado de meu XT1572 usando Tapatalk

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
With a custom firmware you install .CIA files, which are just like digital versions of games. This means you can also play games that are exclusive to the eShop, whereas with Gateway or Sky3DS, you can only play .3ds ROMs. A custom firmware is also safer in regards to online play. There's absolutely no need to get a flash cart. CFW is better.

Next time if you have any CFW related questions, ask them in that sub-forum instead. This is for ROM Hacking :)

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
I'm trying to find the answer for this and I can't find anywhere.
Does the install of those custom firmware or what makes my 3DS able to run downloaded games without a flash card like gateway or what?
What's the difference between those custom firmwares, like LUMA and the others that I don't remember the names?
If a gateway flash card is needed to play 3ds games even with custom firmwares, so why would I do this firmware install on my 3DS? What do I get from it?

Sorry about the question/thread, but there are many tutos that just say "do this and this, not this" and yet many of them don't says what I'm actually would be doing to my 3DS, just that I'm following a tutorial for something...

Enviado de meu XT1572 usando Tapatalk

CFW allows sig patches, etc, which allow any CIA installation (game files packed into installable file)

Luma is the same as the older rxtools cfw but a more superior version with more features like firm protection and the rest.

CFW will not allow roms .3ds to be played, only a flashcart like Gateway and Sky3ds can do that. If you install cfw with arm9loaderhax, you will have a permanent 100% boot rate cfw and can also use flashcarts to play .3ds roms as well as cia dumps of games.

Townsperson

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CFW allows you to install .CIA files (Which can be commercial games, homebrew, etc.). You can play 3DS games on CFW without Gateway.

The only benefit that Gateway has is running .3ds files (Which are the actual ROM dump from a cartridge; All .3ds ROMs can be converted to .CIA files, so you aren't missing out on anything).

gutoblauth

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you all for the answers, now I'm understanding this thing better.

Continuing this thread, yet I have some questions (even in the wrong place. Btw can someone move it to the right place?)
I think I saw some people saying that it's possible to convert games from .3DS to CIA, so using the logic you told me it would be possible to play any game without gateway then, is that right?
It works fine or like injected games? (As far as I remember from the wii, injected games makes the console think you are playing the "base" game that received the injection, right?)

Next time if you have any CFW related questions, ask them in that sub-forum instead. This is for ROM Hacking :)
Really sorry, didn't knew the existence of that sub-forum there, but thanks for answering me! [emoji4]

Last edited by gutoblauth,

Pacheko17

Controversial opinions guy.
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thank you all for the answers, now I'm understanding this thing better.

Continuing this thread, yet I have some questions (even in the wrong place. Btw can someone move it to the right place?)
I think I saw some people saying that it's possible to convert games from .3DS to CIA, so using the logic you told me it would be possible to play any game without gateway then, is that right?
It works fine or like injected games? (As far as I remember from the wii, injected games makes the console think you are playing the "base" game that received the injection, right?)

Really sorry, didn't knew the existence of that sub-forum there, but thanks for answering me! [emoji4]

Yes, you can play every single 3DS game by using CFW.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I call the one with big tiddies