custom firmware for sega flashback 2018

cinek3883

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is no "UK firmware", AtGames only offers updated Genesis-branded firmware.

so how can i unlock SD card slot in my Sega Mega Drive Flashback HD? can you write quick solution? because im newbie with AtGames consoles, and wanted make some custom with game menager app, but havent idea how to start, and dont wanna brick console with firmwares from other regions (if that even possible to brick)... :-/

Da_GPer

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I noticed some games that have FM sound don't play it in FM. A few examples are the translated version of Phantasy Star, Megami Rescue, Galactic Protector, and Super Racing. I'm sure there's more.

EDIT: Fixed a misspelled word.

Last edited by Da_GPer,

dcuk7

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
so how can i unlock SD card slot in my Sega Mega Drive Flashback HD? can you write quick solution? because im newbie with AtGames consoles, and wanted make some custom with game menager app, but havent idea how to start, and dont wanna brick console with firmwares from other regions (if that even possible to brick)... :-/
If you use the game manager app, just do the following:
  1. put your SD card in and choose the Open all-games.ini button
  2. select the option to set up a new SD card
  3. choose your region from the menu and click start
  4. when it asks you if you want to download the custom firmware just say yes
  5. put the sd card in the flashback, let it do the update
  6. after the update completes, take the card and put it back in the computer
  7. the app will see that there is an update file on the card and ask you to remove it, say yes to this
  8. now select the Open all-games.ini again and choose your sd card, you can now start to add games to it
Hope that helps.

Reactions: cinek3883

cinek3883

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you use the game manager app, just do the following:
  1. put your SD card in and choose the Open all-games.ini button
  2. select the option to set up a new SD card
  3. choose your region from the menu and click start
  4. when it asks you if you want to download the custom firmware just say yes
  5. put the sd card in the flashback, let it do the update
  6. after the update completes, take the card and put it back in the computer
  7. the app will see that there is an update file on the card and ask you to remove it, say yes to this
  8. now select the Open all-games.ini again and choose your sd card, you can now start to add games to it
Hope that helps.

thank you very much! will try it when i back to home : )
but found few more questions till im still at work, is custom firmware will unlock SD card option at my console? SD card need to be Fat32 formatted, right? games i'll add with Game Manager App will listed at SD card menu or maybe straight likegames included with Sega Flashback? is any limitation roms i can add this way?

dcuk7

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes you should be formatted as FAT32. The game manager set up will tell you if the card is in the correct format.

If you use the app it will enable the AtGames standard SD card support (providing you say yes to downloading the custom firmware) but it will also let you add the games so they show up in the main menu, which is nicer imo.

There are no real limitations. I'd say don't have more than 500 games (I try to stick to 300 or less). Use unzipped ROMs for best compatibility.

Reactions: cinek3883

cinek3883

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes you should be formatted as FAT32. The game manager set up will tell you if the card is in the correct format.

If you use the app it will enable the AtGames standard SD card support (providing you say yes to downloading the custom firmware) but it will also let you add the games so they show up in the main menu, which is nicer imo.

There are no real limitations. I'd say don't have more than 500 games (I try to stick to 300 or less). Use unzipped ROMs for best compatibility.

thx for advice,good to know that, but that custom firmware is baset at AtGames firmware update? heard is AtGames firmware update got somesound and compatibility improvements, and is that custom firmware will be upgradable in future?

dcuk7

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yes the custom firmware is based on the latest AtGames firmware. You can flash between custom and official with no issues (you will always be able to use AtGames firmware in the future even if you are running custom). I don't think there will be any new official firmware released for this unit now but if it does I am sure we will keep the custom firmware updated.

cinek3883

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes the custom firmware is based on the latest AtGames firmware. You can flash between custom and official with no issues (you will always be able to use AtGames firmware in the future even if you are running custom). I don't think there will be any new official firmware released for this unit now but if it does I am sure we will keep the custom firmware updated.

great, thx for fast explaind, looking at customs seen there 2 firmwares for Sega Mega Drive Flashback HD

Mega Drive Flashback HD 2018 - custom firmware based on the US FB3680_v.2.01
Mega Drive Flashback HD 2018 - custom firmware based on the US FB3680_v.2.01 (Picodrive)

which one is in Game Menager App, and which one is better? custom firmwares can be flashed by another custom? and at actually Game Menager App and custom firmware allow to add and play other Sega roms like GameGear, CD, X32?

dcuk7

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The game manager downloads the version with Genesis Plus GX. This is the emulation core that AtGames shipped the unit with. The supported systems with each core are:

Genesis Plus GX - Genesis, Master System, Game Gear and Sega CD
PicoDrive - Genesis, Master System, Sega CD and 32X

I made the decision to only offer the Genesis Plus GX through the game manager so that it runs as close to stock as possible. Flashing the PicoDrive firmware will mean no Game Gear support. I think most people would prefer GG over 32X support.

cinek3883

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The game manager downloads the version with Genesis Plus GX. This is the emulation core that AtGames shipped the unit with. The supported systems with each core are:

Genesis Plus GX - Genesis, Master System, Game Gear and Sega CD
PicoDrive - Genesis, Master System, Sega CD and 32X

I made the decision to only offer the Genesis Plus GX through the game manager so that it runs as close to stock as possible. Flashing the PicoDrive firmware will mean no Game Gear support. I think most people would prefer GG over 32X support.

thank you very much, just flashed my console, and works great, game looks better after that, ealier was heard some sound issues, now its almost perfect, and yeah GameGear is better for me too than 32x, is there any way to add some bezels maybe? and maybe you know what mean that option in Settings>>>Advanced Settings>>>Overdrive ?

dcuk7

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can't easily add bezels. The only way is to replace the ones on the device but that requires unpacking the firmware, replacing files, re-packing and flashing back to the unit (not the easiest process tbh).

The Overdrive option is a funny one. I find that if you disable Background Music and enable Overdrive, the unit performs a little bit better but I've tried with just Overdrive on and off and I can't really notice any difference.

cinek3883

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't easily add bezels. The only way is to replace the ones on the device but that requires unpacking the firmware, replacing files, re-packing and flashing back to the unit (not the easiest process tbh).

The Overdrive option is a funny one. I find that if you disable Background Music and enable Overdrive, the unit performs a little bit better but I've tried with just Overdrive on and off and I can't really notice any difference.

its looks a bit complicated for me, you not planing to change some in next custom firmwares? i got bunch of them from RetroArch, should work i think... good idea in next updates Game Maker App will editing already added games too ; )

Alexmegadrive1985

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the detailed reply dcuk7, I must have been having a mad half hour as I didn't have the sd function at all. I must have watched it in a video and then made myself beleive it was on mine! I flashed the console with the official firmware so now have sd function. Has anyone noticed colour changes in games. Playing shinobi or desert strike there are colour changes where the games go grainy then back to normal then back to grainy on dessert strike and shinobi,. Do I have faulty one?

Is there a tutorial video of how to install the custom firmware instead?

Last edited by Alexmegadrive1985,

dclaneta

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Better get a mega Pi case with a raspberry pi 3+, install the blast 16 frontend and forget this defective console forever!

trz34

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello,

I applied the GX Plus custom firmware and noticed that the 6 button controls dont' work for all games that support it, but if I switch and try the PICO firmware then the 6 button controls work. Is there a way to add 6 button support to the GX Plus firmware?

Last edited by trz34,

ranja81

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How do I play 2 disc mega cd games using the game manager? Is that possible?

Gfranc16

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It looks like your Flashback is the 2017 version. The 2018 has a SD Card slot, and it should have the About section in menu.
By the way, you don't need a serial number to download updates from Atgames site. You just need to register.
I got the same problem. I got no about feature on my menu, but got an sd card slot. ive been told its because its the uk megadrive version, not the us genesis version. is it still possible to update the uk console? and is it possible to register my console without the id number?

dcuk7

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How do I play 2 disc mega cd games using the game manager? Is that possible?

See @spanner post here for a trick for 2 disc SEGA CD games.

I got the same problem. I got no about feature on my menu, but got an sd card slot. ive been told its because its the uk megadrive version, not the us genesis version. is it still possible to update the uk console? and is it possible to register my console without the id number?

If you use the Game Manager app you can download the latest firmware for your region without doing the AtGames registration. This is a better way to do it IMO because @rrifonas has done a marvellous job at making both Genesis and Mega Drive versions (AtGames only offers Genesis branded firmware, which means your Flashback will change to Genesis instead of Mega Drive. This is only cosmetic though, it operates just the same.) You you will also have the option to use your own games with box art if you choose to do so in the future.

G-rasshopper

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I purchased the UK version of the 2018 Sega Mega Drive Flashback from Argos a few weeks ago (it only cost £30!).

I'm now interested in trying out the custom firmware that you guys have written for it. However, I'd prefer to backup the stock firmware in my machine first. I realise this will require me to solder in a USB port (which I'm comfortable doing). But I'm struggling to find a simple guide on how to use RockChip's utility for uploading and downloading new firmware to the NAND flash chip. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

rrifonas

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I purchased the UK version of the 2018 Sega Mega Drive Flashback from Argos a few weeks ago (it only cost £30!).

I'm now interested in trying out the custom firmware that you guys have written for it. However, I'd prefer to backup the stock firmware in my machine first. I realise this will require me to solder in a USB port (which I'm comfortable doing). But I'm struggling to find a simple guide on how to use RockChip's utility for uploading and downloading new firmware to the NAND flash chip. Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

You only need to do a simple bridge on the board to enable direct USB access, I think there is a image with the solder points in some thread. Connecting the device to a computer while pressing the recovery button will put the device in LOADER mode. I soldered 2 jumpers to the "Menu" button to make it easier to put the device in LOADER mode without need to reopen it.

Once in loader mode, you can use "rkDumper" to backup the device, using the following command-line:
rkdumper.exe /last dump

This tool will dump all partitions and the parameter file. It will also create a .cfg file (config_16.cfg) that can be used with AndroidTool to upload the firmware back to the device.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://gbatemp.net/profile-posts/163064/