Custom Firmware for Atgames Legends Flashback with support for Arcade games

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Albert power tripped on me for using the confused emoji on everyones status update. I guess since it was his birthday he was feeling himself and banned me. Those guys never liked me.

Im following along the AA thread still. You can see the "ghost of draxxon" downloaded RRAs recent fcf retroplayer.ini file 1000 times. lol.

Im going to finish version 2.0 and pass it to you somehow, my email is ...

[email protected]

Ive thought about coming back here. Kevin Mos3s is also here. Also, archive . org will probably happen now sooner than later. I removed the youtube channel since it all links back to AA.

BTW, I think you have to make 5 posts here before you can PM people.

WD_GASTER2

Hated by life itself.
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We did get audio and video files to play. we even got karaoke working. ffmpeg is the video core that was used.

video playback was only decent on an overclocked atari flashback x and a flashdrive. Playing video from the sd card, even with overclock, was skipping.
wow sounds like you guys have been pushing this thing to its limit. impressive work.

Jeffdewe

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just ordered a Legends Flashback 100 for only $39 Canadian great deal. Just wondering has anyone got any sort or wireless controller working on it? If which ones? I'm not much for wired ones. Even if you have to use a OTG Cable.

ATFlashback2018

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried loading the Genesis Flashback 2018 contents from an SD card, seems to work fine aside from a bit slow loading. With a bit of effort, can probably make this "multiboot" to different Flashback models. Take one retromenu and load it with options to launch other retromenus, and then override the loading to remount to a different emulator/rom folder. Background daemon can listen for a certain keypress to kill the child menu and return to the "boot menu".
So the Sega 2018 Flashback Pico CF works in 50 game 2018 Legends Flashback?
Post automatically merged:

Legends Flashback Ultimate (Community Project) - AtGames Flashback and Portable Consoles - AtariAge Forums

(for ALL the AtGames Legends Flashbacks. LFB 2018 - Model No. FB8650, LFB 2018 Deluxe - Model No. FB8650, LFB 2019 - Model No. FB8660 and LFB 2019 Deluxe/Special Edition - Model No. FB8660S. You MUST have Custom Firmware installed that lets you read files from the SD Card - 32GB or less.)

This will allow you to add games with box art to the main menu. It will also allow you to sort game libraries into folders. You can now Shutdown and Reboot the system from the controller or Clear the Recently Played games list. It has a Home button that will take you back to the main menu. It allows for custom themes, music and bezels. It takes advantage of overclock custom firmware. It has been loaded with more emulator cores, and even more can be added. You can change core settings if available. You can remap your buttons. It will also allow each LFB system to run its built in games from the SD Card. You will NOT loose any games. You can remove the SD Card and your system will run stock. You CAN import your /game folder. This package makes NO internal changes to your system. This is a COMMUNITY PROJECT. Feel free to give feedback or lend a hand. You can use all or just parts of this in your own projects if you wish. Thank You to R.Rifonas for the Original CFW and RocketFan for the System Changes.

DOWNLOAD:
https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=837127
So this is this?
Looks like 32x is playable ;)
@25:36

Last edited by ATFlashback2018,

rrifonas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So the Sega 2018 Flashback Pico CF works in 50 game 2018 Legends Flashback?

So this is this?
Looks like 32x is playable ;)
@25:36
Using the Sega Flashback firmware will soft-brick the Legends Flashback. They have different partition tables.

I was looking at my backups and I've found a 'cfw' for the Legends Flashback 2018 with Picodrive instead of Genesis Plus GX but I never released it, performance for 32x games were not great (I learned how to overclock the console later) and Game Gear was not supported at the time. Picodrive had a significant update in 2021 (1.99) which added support for Game Gear.

The cfw in the Youtube video is an expansion of my original cfw, it was created by rocketfan and draxxon and allows you to use most of the libretro cores available for these old devices. You can read the notes in the Youtube video and try to find this cfw, I'm not sure if it is still available in AtariAge.

ATFlashback2018

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
turbografx is not supported. you would need to create a new CFW and swap in the TG core and lose a current core. if its even possible. Rrifonas?

colecovison is only on the 2019 unit, and there is no CFW for it.

the controller lacks a button for snes select.

Besides nes, snes, genesis and master system you can also run sg-1000, game gear, sega cd, mame arcade and final burn alpha arcade games. how to do that is all in this thread.

I'm pretty sure all of this has been covered already.
Can I pay somebody to mod my 2018 Flashback 50 Game like this

Using the Sega Flashback firmware will soft-brick the Legends Flashback. They have different partition tables.

I was looking at my backups and I've found a 'cfw' for the Legends Flashback 2018 with Picodrive instead of Genesis Plus GX but I never released it, performance for 32x games were not great (I learned how to overclock the console later) and Game Gear was not supported at the time. Picodrive had a significant update in 2021 (1.99) which added support for Game Gear.

The cfw in the Youtube video is an expansion of my original cfw, it was created by rocketfan and draxxon and allows you to use most of the libretro cores available for these old devices. You can read the notes in the Youtube video and try to find this cfw, I'm not sure if it is still available in AtariAge.
First of all you and Drax are Legends. I really love your Pico emu for Genesis Flashback. About game gear in gx vs sms in pico, the library is basically interchangable like rastar is on both, sor etc.

Thank you for replying can you mod mine with lastest info? Are there system borders now like showing nes on right and nes controller on left with gameplay in middle yet? Like console X borders.

rrifonas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I pay somebody to mod my 2018 Flashback 50 Game like this

First of all you and Drax are Legends. I really love your Pico emu for Genesis Flashback. About game gear in gx vs sms in pico, the library is basically interchangable like rastar is on both, sor etc.

Thank you for replying can you mod mine with lastest info? Are there system borders now like showing nes on right and nes controller on left with gameplay in middle yet? Like console X borders.

I can't help, I didn't follow this mod closely.

ATFlashback2018

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230122-165619.png
    Screenshot_20230122-165619.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 51
Last edited by ATFlashback2018,

HeavyMetalHusk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, so... A while back I got sent here by someone from AtariAge to help answer my question about playing some games on this lovely "heap-o'-junk" console. I followed the instructions to a t, and started to see if I could play SNES on my game system as a test run. I couldn't. I got a black screen, a "Oops!" message, and a headache. (well, it was seeing that OVER AND OVER is what did it).

I don't know if this would help, but the game(s) I'm looking to play are:
- Shin Megami Tensei (Super Famicon)
- Snatchers (SEGA CD)
- Sonic CD (SEGA CD)

I've been looking through this stuff and people tell me one thing or another, but people tell me that they know for SURE, you can play SNES on this console somehow. The problem is, I try to get the games to play and nothing happens.

I use an Advance Renamer tool to remove all the spaces for the games (and sometimes change the file extension to .fig) and so far, it's worked for SEGA Genesis games, just not SNES. What's the issue that I'm not seeing?

I used the 2GB SD Card that game with the system, and did the update on this page to get this stuff working. Is it because of the games I added? I only have enough to fill 1 page (8 games). I deleted all the saves and even REMOVED the games and added the SMT game to play and it still wouldn't run.

And don't get me started on the SEGA CD. I have no clue how to assemble those games. I understand you need the BIN file with the correct .CUE, .BIOS, and such extensions to play the game but... again, I don't know how to get that to work. I'm not asking to download 7,000 games or anything. I just wanted to play three games for the first time without having to use a PC, a emulator, or buying the actual console.

I don't know anything about technology. I just follow the instructions and hope for the best. If it's possible, just explain simply what to do. (Cavemen logic.) If it's not possible to do this, just tell me so I can stop beating my head against a wall, hoping I'll make a dent.

I apologize for sounding like a kid stomping their feet when something doesn't work, and can't do the work for it. If I can get SMT to work, I'll call this a success.

Please reach out to me if you have any questions or concerns or advice.

P.S. Who's Drax?

rrifonas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't play with Atgames devices since 2020 (and the console is buried in some closet) but I might recall some of the specifics.

First, I assume you have a Legends Flashback 2018 (the one with 50 games) and you applied the firmware from the first post. If you have the Legends Flashback 2019 (the one with 100 games), there are a couple threads in AtariAge covering it.

I don't know why the Shin Megami Tensei is not working, I know the core needs some files for special chips but I don't think this game has anything special.

For Sega CD games to work, you will need the BIOS files compatible with Genesis Plus GX (bios_CD_U.bin, bios_CD_E.bin, bios_CD_J.bin) in the "GAME" folder on your SD card. I don't recall if the BIOS need to be case sensitive but try using these exact names.
For the games, if you are using Redump files (CUE + multiple BIN), try just removing the spaces from the CUE file, which will be the file you will use to load the games. Another option is to convert CUE/BIN to CHD as CHD don't rely on multiple files.

PeterPavol

Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
Hello. I just bought Legends Flashback 100. The version I received is Fb8660B, firmware v1.0.2 . Most of the games (82) are recorded on the included SD card as SD.img.
So far, I have tested to run SNES games (.fig) and SEGA (.bin + BIOS_CD) from the SD card - work.
I tried NES - but .nes and .dat - didn't work.

Last edited by PeterPavol,

HeavyMetalHusk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't play with Atgames devices since 2020 (and the console is buried in some closet) but I might recall some of the specifics.

First, I assume you have a Legends Flashback 2018 (the one with 50 games) and you applied the firmware from the first post. If you have the Legends Flashback 2019 (the one with 100 games), there are a couple threads in AtariAge covering it.

I don't know why the Shin Megami Tensei is not working, I know the core needs some files for special chips but I don't think this game has anything special.

For Sega CD games to work, you will need the BIOS files compatible with Genesis Plus GX (bios_CD_U.bin, bios_CD_E.bin, bios_CD_J.bin) in the "GAME" folder on your SD card. I don't recall if the BIOS need to be case sensitive but try using these exact names.
For the games, if you are using Redump files (CUE + multiple BIN), try just removing the spaces from the CUE file, which will be the file you will use to load the games. Another option is to convert CUE/BIN to CHD as CHD don't rely on multiple files.
Sounds weird, but while moving out, I didn't have any other consoles EXCEPT this little thing. Got it for Christmas by a family member. (who I thought was just giving me a cheap gift.) I could've bought something like a gaming PC or even the original consoles to play those titles. However, AtGames Consoles are just... I think they're a bit underrated. Once I learned from the guys at AtariAge about what it COULD do, it was practically overlooked. I figured I'd try my best to get this all set up. (Plus, I was able to knock: "Beat Sonic The Hedgehog" off my bucket-list because of this thing. That Rewind feature is SO HELPFUL.)

To answer some of your replies:

1. Yep. I forgot to mention I had the 2018 model. Actually, I did the original last update AtGames had set out (think it was V2.8.4 or something. It was the final update on the site), but then, I turned around and used the firmware on AtariAge.

(BTW: Somewhere along the line, the original SD card got damaged (it wouldn't be recognized on my PC or the Console) and I had to use a backup Card from another AtGames console, which was the same thing.)

I used the same update from AtariAge for the SD card, then turned around and used the original post here to update the console. (which, might I add, is a GODSEND. Thank you for making it!)

2. Originally, I had issues trying to get the console to recognize the .FIG formatting. With the original update I did from AtariAge, it wouldn't recognize the games. However, trying the update here, it allowed SMT to show up, but only leave the game running on black for a few moments then give the "Oops!" message. As for SMT, I don't think the game requires anything special either, because it's not like Super Mario Kart or Pilotwings where it has a heavy bunch of effects within the game. (Meaning, SNES games seem to "stretch" and "grow" much smoother than the Genesis, which from how I understand, make the games seem more sensitive to not working on this console.)

Perhaps SMT is a lost cause, and I'm probably better off trying to play it through a Browser site. (plus, SNES has 6 controller functions, which even though the Flashback controller HAS, i've heard people have problems with it, due to the fact there isn't a "select" button.) It's a Famicon only title, never been released officially in the US, and the only way to play it in English was though someone's RomHacker Translation. I was using those downloads to play the game, but I don't think downloading a hacked translated SNES game and trying to play it is going to make a difference if it WASN'T hacked.

3. That took me a moment to understand, but I think I get it. In order to play a Sega CD title, I need those Bios files in the GAME folder, before I can actually run and load the software.

So, for instance, if I was to play Sonic CD and found it on a Rom Site, I would need in the "GAME" folder:
- The correct BIN file PLUS the BIOS files: bios_CD_U.bin, bios_CD_E.bin, and bios_CD_J.bin. (all without spaces, and most likely renamed that way. And I put those three because just, worse case scenario, rather have them and not need them.)

However. If it was different, and the game had just a CUE file along with the BIN files, I would just remove all the spaces in the CUE and BIN files, VIA Advanced Renamer, and/or convert both into .CHD. (?)

Did I understand that correctly, or am I way-off course? Like I said, I'm not very tech savvy.

Thanks again for your help, Rrifonas, and sharing what knowledge you have about this old thing is very helpful.

So... I tried this and it didn't work:

Downloaded Sonic CD from a romsite and got the following in a folder. The game file came with only a BIN file and a CUE file.
Sonic1.png

So I moved both BIN and CUE file to the SD Card, to the GAME folder:
sonic2.png

(Very Bottom Two)

I took those two files and put them through the Advanced Renamer, removing spaces from game (Btw, I did this formula for every genesis title on my system and it worked like a charm):
sonic3.png

Assuming I had everything ready to go, I tried to boot up the game and got the "Oops!" message.

Now, I have a feeling somewhere I was supposed to have a BIOS file, but it never came with the file, and I don't have much of a clue where to find the BIOS files for Sega CD games.

Also, I DID try converting both files into a CHD, but only the BIN would change, the CUE extension stayed the same.

What am I doing wrong? What am I missing?

I feel like I'm REALLY CLOSE to making this work, I can almost taste it, but I'm not getting it.

Last edited by HeavyMetalHusk,

rrifonas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BIOS files - a simple Google search will point you to the right files. archive org also has the files.

About the games. CUE is a text file pointing to the BIN file and how to load the CD Audio content, you can open it in Notepad to understand what's inside. If you rename the BIN file, the CUE will not work without changes.

In you example, you renamed both "Sonic CD.cue" and " Sonic CD.bin" but I assume you did not edit "Sonic CD.cue" to point to the renamed bin file. That's why I mentioned about renaming only the CUE file, which will be what you will load in the menu. I'm quite sure that "SonicCD.cue" and "Sonic CD.bin" PLUS the BIOS file (bios_CD_U.bin for the US version) will load the game.

HeavyMetalHusk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BIOS files - a simple Google search will point you to the right files. archive org also has the files.

About the games. CUE is a text file pointing to the BIN file and how to load the CD Audio content, you can open it in Notepad to understand what's inside. If you rename the BIN file, the CUE will not work without changes.

In you example, you renamed both "Sonic CD.cue" and " Sonic CD.bin" but I assume you did not edit "Sonic CD.cue" to point to the renamed bin file. That's why I mentioned about renaming only the CUE file, which will be what you will load in the menu. I'm quite sure that "SonicCD.cue" and "Sonic CD.bin" PLUS the BIOS file (bios_CD_U.bin for the US version) will load the game.
Alright, so... (Prepare for an incoming headache of information and stupidity.)

I really hate to keep asking questions, but here's what I've done so far, and where I'm stuck at.

So, I took your advice and easily found a BIOS file on Archives. (whoddunkit that it was so easy.) I downloaded the CUE and BIN files for Sonic CD.

Setting it up in the SD Card, I had originally set up the files in GAME like so:

Sonic CD.BIN
Sonic CD.CUE

BIOS_CD_E.BIN (I chose EU because the version I'm wanting to play is the EU/JAP release)

sonic3.png
(The reason why the BIOS name is eu-mcdl-9120, is because I downloaded that BIOS before finding one just called "BIOS_CD_E.BIN." They both work the same, just fyi. I assumed it was because it didn't have BIOS in the name.)
(Also, there are TWO BIN files, because I was testing out what the CUE file would load. The CUE file is located under the middle "Sonic CD.")

Booting up the console, I saw two "Sonic CD" files. I clicked on, and it took me back to the home screen. At one point, I clicked on another, and it would only load a black screen.

As you mentioned that the CUE file points to the BIN file, I had opened the CUE file in the notepad and saw this:
sonic1.png
So, I did a simple "Replace" where I removed all the spaces, and replaced them with nothing, leaving the CUE file's contents to look like this:
sonic2.png
(and, before I forget to mention, you'll notice that with all the spaces removed, the CUE file will try to locate a "Sonic CD" BIN file without spaces. I did two "Sonic CD" BIN files to test this out. One had the removed spaces in the name, while the other didn't.)

So after about an hour of trying different combinations, I did learn one thing:

The BIOS File DOES work. On the screen, I can pick to play it, and it will load up like a SEGA CD console. It'll have the intro and functions of it, but it will only allow you to just open/close the "disk tray" and clear the formatting of the console. That's it.
(which, not going to lie, it's funny to see how much the SEGA CD was trying to be a PS1 at the time. I can't really comprehend that someone would pop a CD into this and try and play the console like a CD player XD.)

I did combinations of not removing the spaces in the CUE file with the BIN file, to having the CUE and BIN files have removed of the spaces, and such, but nothing got the game loading. I even went as far to go to Archive, locate a whole new "Sonic CD" BIN and CUE file, and the same thing still happens.

I'm not the type to give up easily, but I'm slowly getting the impression that perhaps my console is somehow uniquely jacked up to where Sega CD/SNES games can't run on it.

Are there any other ideas/tips you might have? Is there something I'm doing completely wrong, or maybe I'm missing something? (Maybe it's because it needs a US BIOS file to work?)

If not, not a huge deal. It's has been a very unique learning experience, and I appreciate you being patient with me and replying back. I'm more than likely making this a lot more complicated than it is.

(EDIT: When I'm in the CUE file. I am doing the correct way to remove the spaces and have it point to the BIN file, right?)

rrifonas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Black screen might be a missing BIOS file.
Are you sure this game is the European version? Just in case, add all 3 BIOS files and they MUST be named bios_CD_E.bin, bios_CD_U.bin and bios_CD_J.bin.

The changes in the CUE file are completely wrong. You only need to remove the space in the first line to match the name of the BIN file: just replace "Sonic CD.bin" with "SonicCD.bin". Now rename both CUE and BIN files to SonicCD.cue and SonicCD.bin. You can delete " Sonic CD.bin" from the SD Card.

If this doesn't work, I'm completely out of ideas. I would check if this game boots in some PC emulator, RetroArch with GenesisPlus GX core would be ideal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ngNaUaQOfPU