Custom Firmware for Atgames Legends Flashback with support for Arcade games

Mzeroxx69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
unzip FBA game to a folder.
go in that folder and highlight all the different files, and add them to a 7zip archicve.
dont unzip to a folder and 7z that folder. that wont work.

I have tried this with the capcom games.. do I need to merge the different files into one.. say for example mvsc.zip mvscu.zip mvscj.zip ect ect..?? There the only problem I'm having.

Mzeroxx69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no don't merge them.

I figured it out.. grabbed a non Fba set of capcom roms.. all is up and running..

Another question thou. I have disassembled mine to either paint the shell or wrap in vinyl stickers.. (this thing is so ugly!) And I have noticed a couple if connections on the board. A set of three and a set of 4.. there is also a small button along with the set of 4. What are these for.. I'm guessing one is for a PC connection via added usb port or Uart but the other.. ?? and the button??
20200110_145111.jpg
20200110_145133.jpg 20200110_145140.jpg

rrifonas

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The 3 test points is UART connection, it only connected at 1500000bps.

The 4 small pins are for USB connection in recovery mode (pressing the recovery button) for reflash using "AndroidTool" (it's a Rockchip tool).
You can solder the wires from a USB cable on these pins (D+, D-, GND), or wire/solder a bridge with the 2 solder points and connect to a PC using the micro USB port. This post have an example for the Genesis FB 2018.

Reactions: Mzeroxx69

Mzeroxx69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The 3 test points is UART connection, it only connected at 1500000bps.

The 4 small pins are for USB connection in recovery mode (pressing the recovery button) for reflash using "AndroidTool" (it's a Rockchip tool).
You can solder the wires from a USB cable on these pins (D+, D-, GND), or wire/solder a bridge with the 2 solder points and connect to a PC using the micro USB port. This have an example for the Genesis FB 2018.

Thanks.. will start reading up on the process for the genesis flashback.. would eventually would like to swap out that pink yellow blue background image for something a little more personalized..

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you can replace the launcher background on the 2018 model with the CFW.

if the same hack was done for the 2019 would we be able to add colecovision roms to the main menu? I would assume so.

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cptennis.zip.png
cptennis.zip.s.png

You will have to use the newer CFW (v2.8.4 w/ overclock) and the "mount" and "startup" files. Instructions are included. You can find it at the bottom of the very first post in this thread. after you generate the rom and emulator folders, the launcher BG images are found in "emulator"/"res"/"images" folder.

You will also have access to the bezels, and other UI graphics.

Here are some updates I made, All thumbnails were changed to arcade flyers and box art.
https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=692034

I'm still trying to figure out how to fix the A and B button issue on Nintendo games. I haven't had any luck with retroplayer config files. I've been seriously considering flashing back to the old firmware and losing SNES support to fix the issue. There was a test CFW for the old version that allowed for the mount and startup files and overclock, so I won't lose any of that. I have the newer 2019 model and it has SNES support anyways.

Last edited by Deleted member 502272,

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I went ahead and opened my "ARCADE" Legends Flashback unit and took some pics. All the other models internals I've seen have the board attached to the base of the unit. This model has the board attached to the roof of the case. Also the cases are different. The "ARCADE" LFB2018 has a flat base and the front and back of the unit are attached to the roof. On the other units the base has the front and back attached. The roof is just a topper piece. Also, "Player 1" and "Player 2" on the front of the case have larger letters/numbers. It looks like the boards and Monkey King chips are identical tho. Its just a different case.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Mzeroxx69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
View attachment 193039 View attachment 193040

You will have to use the newer CFW (v2.8.4 w/ overclock) and the "mount" and "startup" files. Instructions are included. You can find it at the bottom of the very first post in this thread. after you generate the rom and emulator folders, the launcher BG images are found in "emulator"/"res"/"images" folder.

Here are some updates I made, All thumbnails were changed to arcade flyers and box art.
https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=692034

I'm still trying to figure out how to fix the A and B button issue on Nintendo games. I haven't had any luck with retroplayer config files. I've been seriously considering flashing back to the old firmware and losing SNES support to fix the issue. There was a test CFW for the old version that allowed for the mount and startup files and overclock, so I won't lose any of that. I have the newer 2019 model and it has SNES support anyways.

Way ahead of you.. figured most of this out in the middle of the night. Just need to play around with the makeini.bat my first attempt gave me lots of extra garbage.. I'm guessing I need to run it in a folder of just roms with nothing else??

Back ground modified and new music added.. skinning job is done.. now just to sort out box art..

Attachments

• 20200112_143852.jpg
    20200112_143852.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 262
  • 20200112_143945.jpg
    20200112_143945.jpg
    915.7 KB · Views: 249

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I never use the makeini.bat. I just manually add the entries to the all_games.ini and add game description and info. The launcher BG in greyscale looks nice. I like Inverted colors also. Share your boxart results when youre done! feel free to use any that I posted, bud.

It looks like the LFB2019 has an actual Rockchip like the Atari FBX. There are two buttons on this board and a row of connectors where the ribbon cable attaches.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So i purchased a new 2019 unit so i wouldnt have the A/B NES button issues.
Is there a way for me to use the AndroidRKTool to make a bootable backup of this stock version 0.1.13 so I can share it?

I've been messing with it a bit, and can dump some partitions, but when I try and dump the rom or emulator partitions I keep getting errors.

Deleted member 502272

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I didn't solder anything, I just tried AndroidTool and RkDumpslicer, ect. Whenever I try to dump the rom or emulator partitions it just fails. I'm connected with the NES Classic power cable/USB cord to the PC.

I can export all other images, but those two fail.

Mzeroxx69

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
View attachment 193039 View attachment 193040

I've played around using the bezel art for backgrounds.. resized box art for about 60 genesis games. 9 of my favorite capcom system 2 games.. some mame stuff up next. Bulk rename utility for windows was really helpful in the renaming process.. dumped the flashback name... here is a shot
20200119_032652.jpg

ElioFilho

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Amazing work, mzeroxx69!

Since customization is your strongest skill, would you imagine a phone jack in front of this console? I want to use it with a headphone and a jack just between control plugs would be nice!

What do you think, is it possible without too much damage to main board? :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended