DA KINE WiiHacker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am looking for advise on how I might make my own update partion to run on a trucha enabled system wii. I would like the update to install all updated ios but not the system menu and such.

Also looking for advise on how to make a custom data disk, specifically to load Hackmii v0.8.

Basically I would like to run a disk via modchip on an older wii that will install ios58 and others, then load the hackmii installer.

Any advise or links to useful reading would be appreciated.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you cant load dols from an update partition. its only purpose is to contain wads and a list of those wads. the system menu reads them and installs them. dols are loaded from other partitions though. so, make your update partition, then slap the hackmii installer as the main.dol in the DATA partition. the system menu will look at the contents of the update partition, if there is anything listed in it that is not already installed in the wii, it will give the "you need to update" spiel in the disc channel. once you click that, it installs the wads contained in the partition and then will let you boot the DATA partition.

though, you will probably piss off a bunch of people should you choose to distribute the iso, nintendo and TT among them.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It would only work on older wii's, but I don't intend to distribute ti- perhaps make a guide for its construction. I actually doubt anyone would ever use it, it is just a hobby project I would like to add to my guide.

I have tried just replacing the wad in the update partition with the one I want and removing both ios from my wii, this gives me an error. So I believe I must write my own update.inf, and possible mess with the partion.bin, but I don't really know how.

In the update.inf I see
QUOTE said:
/_sys/IOS56-64-v4890.wad  8 FIRMWARE56.19.26 64M FIRMWARE56.19.26 64M
So so for IOS58-64-v6175.wad
/-sys/IOS58-64-v6175.wad
FIRMWAR58.??.?? 64M
So what would .??.?? be for ios58?

There is probably more to it that this

Edit: I want to do this to theoretically mod a 1.0 wii via modchip without updating the system menu. I know the point is mute, but that is the intent.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OK, so I fail.

I have made the wii detect a disk udpate, but the update fails.
I used wiiscrubber to extract the update.inf from a disk update
I then replaced a /sys/ wad with an ios61 wad from a 4.1 update
I replace the info in update.inf of the replaced wad with the info from the 4.1 update.inf for ios61
Burned the disk, wii detects an update, update fails.

I then extracted the update partiton, extract partiton.bin and all other files. Replaced the files, modified the update.inf, used partionbuilder to build a new partion, Imported the new partion into iso with wiiscrubber- Error please eject, read, bla... So I then just replaced the ios61 and update.inf again to ensure is was fakesigned, error, eject, you get the idea.

I am doing an excellent job at making custom coasters for the house, the wife loves it, they are everywhere.

Please help

On a side note, I was thinking that the pink fish disk with MMM would be good to mod an old wii. Pink fish install ios16, boots MMM which installs ios58 and loads hackmii. I have not been able to test it, my chip is in my Korean wii and my Korean wii hates everything related to that disk for some unknown reason.
Don't really need the ios16 part, MMM ->ios58 would work if MMM would run on the old ios without crash. It runs good on 16.

thesund0g

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Can you show us the inf before and after? Also, you're trying this with an unchipped Wii? Is it possibly reloading into a non-trucha-bugged IOS during the process?

If you haven't already, dump a few update partitions and do some diffs to see if there's something missed.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tueidj said:
Why would you expect it to be able to downgrade an IOS?
What are you talking about? I don't expect to downgrade any ios.

QUOTE(thesund0g @ Aug 28 2010, 11:19 PM) Can you show us the inf before and after? Also, you're trying this with an unchipped Wii? Is it possibly reloading into a non-trucha-bugged IOS during the process?

If you haven't already, dump a few update partitions and do some diffs to see if there's something missed.

I have a chip and dip patches to test with ATM.

tueidj

I R Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
mauifrog said:
tueidj said:
Why would you expect it to be able to downgrade an IOS?
What are you talking about? I don't expect to downgrade any ios.

I then replaced a /sys/ wad with an ios61 wad from a 4.1 update
Is the wii you're testing with on 4.2 or later? That would mean you're trying to downgrade the IOS. You said you wanted to "theoretically" mod a 1.0 wii, not that you actually had one and you're also mentioning a korean wii... so it's unclear what you're testing with. You didn't post what the actual errors were either, just that it failed.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wes11ph said:
are you trying to make a disc that installs hackmii .8?
what's your reason in making this?
Yes, I want a disk that install ios58 via disk update and runs hackmii 0.8, just for shits and giggles.

@tueidj
I am not downgrading any ios. Currently my wii has 4.3 with ios80, ios58, and ios249 installed. I am testing an update that should install ios61, I would like ios58 but don't know what the update.inf should be for it. The error in the standard, please eject disk and go read your wii manual msg. I also have a Korean wii that I mess with as well, but any ios in the update are removed prior to testing, or there would be little point in it.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OK, so taking the advise from tueidj, I decided I should be testing this on a 1.0 wii. So I install cios9-v6174 and downgraded my wii to 1.0. The wii works fine, but I had to also install ios17 to prevent region select from loading at every boot. The MMM disk loads fine, ios58 is install, Hackmii 0.8 runs, but anytime I install any channel region select runs again at boot. I have 1.0 without any channels. The funny thing is, is HBC 1.08 is indeed installed and I can load it via forwarder disk just fine, but there are no channels other that the disk channel.

So I suppose it is best for a 1.0 wii to upgrade while hacking there wii. Also, priilaoder is unable to load sm 1.0. The disk does autoboot super fast on 1.0 though, much faster than 4.x. Usb loading is working as expected.

Still no luck making a custom update partition. I should have myself a 4.3u partition soon, so I will have an idea of what the ios58 should look like. Perhaps I can strip the unneeded SM, boot2 form it.

Any advice pointing me in the proper direction would be great.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ok, I am going to bring this dead thread back to life. I have still had no luck making a fakesigned update partition, but would like to try again. Different goal this time.

The goal- Fix 4.3 wii bricked by running dop-ios mod v11.3 - 11.4
Brick type-
All channel restart wii
All disc load black screen
In maintenance mode- all channels restart wii, disc loads black screen
Reloading SM via [home] wii menu, restarts the whole wii rather than reloading the menu
Loading disc from recovery menu- loads to black screen
Loading channels from sd card- restarts wii

!!!!Disc update are detected and installed!!!!

So the fix is to make a fakesigned update partition with a cios60-v6174 version patched to say v54321 and a SM 4.1 version patched to v54449.
This would only work if the 4.3 wii had patched ios80

So make the disc, install a modchip and a drive, update the wii from 4.3 to 4.1, run bannerbomb, load dop-mii, do a syscheck and the wii is fixed.

Now is I could just figure out how to make the update partition. It only needs cios60-v54321.wad and SM-4.1u-v54449.wad

Any advice? I only have a few disc left and the wife tells me we have plenty of coasters.

Perhaps something I could do with wit?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you look at the format for the update.inf or whatever its called? it is documented pretty well on wiibrew. it is a list of the wads' filenames, their TID, and their versions. i think you probably were neglecting to create a proper .inf file.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am working on another. Here is my _update.inf
2011/02/26    /_sys/IOS60-64-v65280.wad   FIRMWARE60.255.0 64M FIRMWARE60.255.0 64M   /_sys/SystemMenu-v949.wad  ! SYSTEM MENU ver949 SYSTEM MENU ver949
For wads-
IOS60-64-v65280.wad
SystemMenu-v949.wad

What about the partition.bin? It must be fakesigned, but should anything else be done to it? I have noticed that I can only take a disc update once, then if I remove the files no update prompt is given because the ticket is on the wii. How do I remove this ticket? Should I try to make this update ticket unique?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
update.inf is not a text file. open it in a hex editor. you need to put the correct tids and versions and whatnot.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
person66 said:
Just out of curiosity, how did you manage to downgrade your wii to 1.0?
Install ios60-v6174 with patches into ios slot 9, then install sm 1.0

No channels work, so you you can only load apps via disc. So if you did not have a mod chip, you would want to dip patch the ios9, with darkcorp.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Did you pee in the water