Custom Emanuals/html on wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Slimmmmmm, Jul 5, 2008.

Jul 5, 2008

Custom Emanuals/html on wii by Slimmmmmm at 2:28 PM (1,222 Views / 0 Likes) 4 replies

1. Slimmmmmm
    OP

Member Slimmmmmm GBAtemp MoNkEeE

United Kingdom
    I've noticed that the vc games manuals etc seem to be just html docs.
    Is there a way to make an .elf that would display your own made html files on the wii?

I'm wanting this to put the game manuals (Wii gamecube etc etc) and cheats etc on the SD card and be able to view them, I thought about this because it would be really easy and quick and could include pics like maps etc. Now I know you could go online, and just make a site and view it through your wii, but what about peeps (like myself) that cant take their wii online. Also this would require converting some things from pdf to html, UNLESS, there was a way to view pdf's on the wii too.

Now a chan would be good, but imho an elf would be better. Could this be done, and could the wii handle php scripts etc then to help and parse data, so for example you could make search boxes and arrays etc, as some peeps have thousands of games (roms etc)

I had a look around but nothing like this seems to be discussed yet to any degree.

Any thoughts?

2. PKGINGO

Member PKGINGO GBAtemp Regular

United States
    If your going to be doing this to Virtual console games, I think the better idea is to replace the manual with a players' guide [​IMG]. This would only work on a one game basis though. No way youll be able to hack something like that into the gamecube easily. As for just displaying html, well, you could write your own rendering engine and make an application that renders it. Good luck with that....

3. Slimmmmmm
    OP

United Kingdom
    If we were to extract the 00000005.app There is a file called emanual.arc.
    In that is html files and pics etc.
    But you need to use that U8C to repack them.

What I'm thinking is, say you didnt need to repack files all the time and you could just add html/php files to your sd (either streaming or pop it in pc). Now you would need to quit a game to view them so a bit diff from the manuals, but yeah things like players guides etc.

Really if we could load html/php from the SD there is a HUGE list of handy things that could be made by more or less complete novices (hopefully without the possibility to brick). Homebrew is great but if this could be done anyone could make html based games too.

The thing is, I have never taken my wii online (router issues) so dont really know much about the types of pages etc it can handle (a version of opera).

Imagine if you could have your flash/pdf/html guides, maps and manuals at hand. If php or some easy to use scripting language like javescript could be used then maybe intergration with the coders of title lister etc would result in a more user friendly app for viewing whats on your Wii, has been and give the ability to sort things by criterias.

As for people wanting to "make a homebrew" [​IMG] they could a whole lot easier, for an example of some simple stuff google tetris html code, even if you have never coded before, I'm sure you would understand how simple things could be for beginners.

Php enable pages would be what I would be more interested in, especially if you could integrate it with some of the apps kicking about now.

I'm gonna do some reading, and maybe make a few test wads, but being honest am a little afraid incase I cause a brick, so will need to learn, learn, learn.

Please use this thread to discuss good ideas, bad ideas, what you KNOW can be done (if you have made emanuals before or apps) or what you think would be cool if it could be done.

To simplify all above:

An app (wad or elf/dol) that can read various files
    1 - html / xml / php or JS ? and even simple .txt
    2 - pic files
    3 - flash files?
    4 - some sort of scripting language to parse data easily
    5 - integration with other apps, for example title lister*

*it might have (stored in sumin like an xml file)

GAME:name of game
    (Cover Link Here !)
    ID:RxxP
    Players:2
    Save Size: ?? Blocks
    Saves: 3 Saves Etc
    Manual: LINK
    Guide: LINK

Game info/ description here.....

*Edit, ok I've saw now that the wii could handle JS, what about php?
    I also noticed LUA, hmmm

4. PKGINGO

Member PKGINGO GBAtemp Regular

United States
    PHP i server side... You could write php code, have a PC process it and pop out the renders to the Wii... but I really don't see too much point of it.

AFAIK there is also no PHP interpreter available for the Wii anyway.

5. Slimmmmmm
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah, and as we could have JS on the html pages, no need for it either.

When I get time, I'm gonna do a bit of messing and see if I can get a few guides and/or game manuals into a wad for viewing and play about with the navigation. I'd love a guide channel, or have my wii manuals on the SD for viewing occassionaly.

And th epoint of me suggesting some sort of scripting language is just for 3 reasons, easy for beginners to join in and contribute, space issues, navigation and presentation.