Custom DSi launcher/Homebrew on launcher

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by guyman70718, Jun 1, 2017.

1. guyman70718
    OP

guyman70718 Member

Newcomer
    May 31, 2017
    United States
    Will there ever be a way to replace the default DSi launcher, or maybe install custom DSiware to the official launcher? I know the 3DS can have the custom launcher, and I think that certain DS games could install DSiware to the home screen.

MyDePain likes this.
  2. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    Sure, custom DSiWare can be installed to the DSi, but because the launcher checks the RSA for it, the wrong RSA signature for it will cause an error screen.
    SRLoader will be as close as you can get to a custom launcher, aside from it only being launched via a DSiWare exploit.

3. guyman70718
    OP

guyman70718 Member

Newcomer
    May 31, 2017
    United States
    Would there be a way to replace the official launcher with SRloader? And does that mean custom DSiware is impossible?

4. Robz8

Robz8 Coolest of TWL

Oct 1, 2010
    United States
    The official launcher cannot be replaced, as the bootrom checks the RSA signature for it as well.
    Currently, yes.

5. Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder I have cameras in your head!

Oct 7, 2007
    United States
    Levelland, Texas
    Technically it's not bootrom RSA checking Launcher. It's the bootloader on nand which bootrom RSA checks and loads into memory. So it's bootloader that is running when the RSA check on Launcher occurs.

But that's besides the point. Launcher RSA checks have to be patched out before you can run custom DSiWare directly from the system menu. Unlike the 3DS, this has not happened yet. The attack surface for bootloader is likely far to small to find a flaw.

We need to find a flaw in launcher instead and there's quite a few more things that can go wrong there that would allow an exploit. ;)

But nothing yet. Just be patient.

Last edited by Apache Thunder, Jun 1, 2017
    Tarmfot and I pwned U! like this.