Custom animal crossing villager crashed game

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Convivencia, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Convivencia
    OP

Convivencia Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2016
    Canada
    Alberta, Canada
    Trying to make a custom villager with a new model, I made one with a halo and little angel wings but the game crashed before the title screen. I have the crash report, but it's a .dmp and converting it to .txt makes the text garbled. Any idea what specifically could have caused this? I'm running the latest version of Luma and using its layeredFS system. Here is a picture of the crash on my 3ds.

[​IMG]

Last edited by Convivencia, Sep 7, 2018
  2. gaberilde

gaberilde Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2016
    I belive you would need a dmp viewer to open the dmp file, but im not to sure

The game probably isnt accepting something. I remember modifying my house but then when i would enter it i would crash so i had to revert it back.

3. Convivencia
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2016
    Canada
    Alberta, Canada
    [​IMG]

I think the problem was that I didn't pay attention to the textures I was putting into blender, so when the game tried to load my town in the title screen it couldn't load this villager's file. I'm not very good at blender haha... Actually if I could get tips on how to make the file on the left look like the one on the right I would really appreciate it. ^__^

4. gaberilde

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2016
    Il try and mess around with things on mine to see if i can get it working

Whats this program Ohana3ds in the screenshot? is it some kind of builder?

5. Convivencia
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2016
    Canada
    Alberta, Canada
    Ohana3ds can be used to read and modify .bcres' textures, and Ohana3dsRebirth can be used to see the textures on the model. It's very handy, i've been using it for years. :^o

6. Shiinotic

Shiinotic Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2018
    United States
    i'm actually looking to do the same exact thing right now as you are, cool!! i'm guessing the crash was because the texture format was weird, did you export it as dae or obj? i think dae might format the textures differently or something?? i have no clue, i'm a blender noob too, lmao.

if you ever figure this out, please post about it! i'd love to know how to edit models and it's giving me a headache trying to figure out how. for now i'm just sticking to texture hacks, lmao

7. Convivencia
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2016
    Canada
    Alberta, Canada
    haha I haven't seen anyone else doing stuff similar to this in animal crossing, much less a tutorial... It's been hard, so if I do get a reliable method working i'll be sure to post it! ^__^

Currently the method is: convert the .bcres to .dae using Spica->open .dae in blender and edit->export as .obj->convert to .bcres using EFE (every file explorer). Dae is very common; when I looked up downloads for animal crossing models (to check what file type they should be), all the available models were .dae files. I looked up a tutorial for dae models in blender but it wasn't very helpful, it was mostly just how to look at them in blender. The example they used was a yoshi though and it had multiple eye textures, but i'm not sure how they did it haha... But i'm hoping that if I can get the texture problem sorted that it will work, or at least load the game without crashing lol.

There might also be problems with UV mapping. I moved the UV island things for the arms so they overlapped each other, so they take from the same place, so I could fit in more stuff. Btw, here is the unfinished model (minus the halo, you can see the more recent texture in the first screenshot i posted, this is the most recent pic i have of the model), with concept art (and the UV mapping work I did, probably incorrectly, in the second pic). In case you were curious. :^p
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

Last edited by Convivencia, Sep 9, 2018
  8. Shiinotic

Shiinotic Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2018
    United States
    okay first of all i have to say your villager is absolutely adorable

the process i've been trying is to export the model as an obj by using ohana rebirth and then edit it in blender, but i can't seem to get the textures to load at all in blender :I

actually, would it be any trouble for you to share the files you're working on so far?? i'd love to see if i can possibly figure something out

9. Convivencia
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2016
    Canada
    Alberta, Canada
    Thank you! Her name is mimi, so cute. ^__^ And yea,

Here is a link to the .obj and the .mtl (I'm not entirely sure what the .mtl is, but blender saves both an obj and an mtl when you export as obj, and you need the mtl if you want to convert it to bcres. Don't really get it haha but here you go. The 6th iteration of mimi). I kind of tip toed around obj for a while, because the models I saw online were .dae so i figured it was important that they were like that, but if the bcres converter only accepts obj files then shrug. I guess obj can preserve everything. :^p Let me know if the google drive link doesn't work, I don't use it that often.

EDIT: Oh, also the mesh is kind of a mess, don't look too closely at the wings, especially in OhanaRebirth. lol

10. Shiinotic

Shiinotic Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 5, 2018
    United States
    thank you very much!! i'll get back to you if i figure anything out =)
    also, iirc, the mtl stores texture data? you can open it up in notepad to edit the file path for the textures i think

edit: wait, i think you forgot to include the texture pngs in your download, i don't see them

Last edited by Shiinotic, Sep 9, 2018
  11. Convivencia
    OP

Newcomer
    Jun 29, 2016
    Canada
    Alberta, Canada
    Oh cool! Yea I dunno, I just kind of put the files together until they work. I don't know how a lot of it works but I know some of the stuff that has to be together. :^p I've been uploading images to the UV map area, specifically the m.x files to the mouth area, the e.x files to the upper face, etc, but when I close blender and re-open they disappear. For a while I had a bunch of extra body files laying around because I was careless with uploading images, and they were hard to remove, but there can definitely be more then 1 texture in an area because that was a problem for a while. Not sure how it works, and when I tried to open katie's unedited model in blender, I couldn't see any textures. I was thinking about trying again but I've been busy lately.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Oh shoot, sorry, should be fixed now. The bo2 is actually the b0 texture, you might have to rename it. I have katie's original b0 in the same folder on my computer haha.

12. gaberilde

Newcomer
    Sep 25, 2016
    The .mtl is a MATERIAL file it stores MATERIAL data

Im going to get blender and try my self as well since i do have the game