Current State of 360 Scene

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Games & Content' started by yardsman, Apr 26, 2008.

Apr 26, 2008

Current State of 360 Scene by yardsman at 8:01 AM (1,245 Views / 0 Likes) 2 replies

1. yardsman
    OP

Newcomer yardsman Member

United States
    Hi all,

I've just started thinking about making backups for my 360, and have spent the past few days researching around the internet about what's currently available. However, I have a few questions I hope somebody can answer:

1. From what I understand, I can either flash my dvd drive's firmware, or install a modchip. What advantages or disadvantages does one option have over the other? Would it be wiser for me to go the softmod route, bypassing the cost of the modchip and hassle of soldering?

2. I've also seen online a product called the Xecuter Blaster 360. Can anyone tell me their opinion about this? How often will I be required to update my firmware, and is the process of taking apart the 360 a big enough hassle to justify purchasing one?

Thanks

2. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    1. Drive flashing is the generally considered the best way for while modchips work they confer no real advantages as most see it. Flashing a drive may not be free though as they can require you buy a new sata board (about 10 times easier and less hassle free to find but still a pain).

2. I had not heard of that one but it is similar to the Xeno top gear:
    http://www.iso420.org/360/xenotopgear/index.htm

From what I have seen they rate as a very nice addition but I would flash first and consider that a few months down the line. Updates are no so frequent these days as they have reached a fairly mature stage:
    http://www.xbins.org/index.php?action=cats...archtxt=XBOX360

3. yardsman
    OP

Newcomer yardsman Member

United States
    Thanks for the help. Reading through Textbook's guide, it seems like my motherboard's chipset is compatible with the 360 drive, so hopefully I won't have to buy a sata card. I"ll probably take your advice and hold off on buying the top gear/blaster addon, since it looks like the firmware hasn't needed an update since December. I thought I would have to update it much more frequently, blame it on the deceptive marketing of the products, I guess.