[CURIOUS] Wii emu on the Vita?

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Hacking & Homebrew' started by BORTZ, Feb 6, 2014.

1. BORTZ
    OP

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Hey guys, I hate to be that guy, but I have a question. Which... is probably obvious from the thread's title. Last night, I was getting some new backgrounds for my Vita and I came across this one...

Warning: Spoilers inside!

...And then I lost control of my brain.

Vita specs alone, do you thing the Vita is capable of running a Dolphin like port or something of the like to play Gamecube and/or Wii games?

Controls... might be a problem. Shaking or other waggling motions might not be the best for the Vita, but I assume you might be able to map those controls to something else on the Vita. Anything that requires pointing at the screen and shooting could be done with either of the touch screens.

I was really enjoying thinking about playing Super Mario Galaxy on my Vita...

EZ-Megaman likes this.

2. earlynovfan

earlynovfan Tactical enthusiast.

Jan 3, 2013
    United States
    Minnesota
    I don't have the knowledge to say whether or not it could, but that would be lovely. Especially if someone made a Ps2 emulator for the Vita. I've been dying to play Tales of Legendia and I just get more gameplay from my vita then I do my non portable consoles.

3. GameWinner

GameWinner Take your heart

Jun 14, 2009
    United States
    We will get Wii ports and you will like it.

4. BORTZ
    OP

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Fortune smiles upon you, for with Playstation now, many PS1, 2, and 3 titles will be playable like Netflix movies. Streaming to your device. If its for PS2 there is a good chance it will come to PSNow.

I could almost see getting a port of Xenoblade, but didnt nintendo buy monolith way back? And oh the amount of testicles I would give for Galaxy on my Vita lol

earlynovfan likes this.
  5. Maxternal

Maxternal Peanut Gallery Spokesman

Nov 15, 2011
    Deep in GBAtemp addiction
    Considering the specs of Android devices running GC games on Dolphin, they seem to match up to Vita specs and with a lot more streamlining for ARM (once Dolphin for ARM gets past it's Alpha/Beta stages), I'd say Wii on Vita is very possible. :D

6. kenenthk

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    It would be pretty awesome, I remember when everyone lost their shit when they found out you could run Youtube on PSP.

I'd definitely like to see a 3ds emu running on it as well, think how awesome that would be. They could just split the screen like how they do on the Drastic emu.

7. BORTZ
    OP

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I have high amounts of difficulty believing we will see a current gen system emulated on a current gen system.

8. kenenthk

kenenthk Custom Title

May 26, 2013
    Burkina Faso
    You never know since the vitas specs dominate the 3ds's it could be possible.

9. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    While we may have Dolphin on androids devices, I don't think the Vita will be capable of emulating Wii/GC games very well at all. You have to remember, the Vita only has like 512MB of RAM or so, compared to the 1-2GB phones have nowadays (that still hardly run Dolphin [Though I suppose that's more a problem with emulator optimization than anything, but still..]).

EDIT: It should be noted that while RAM isn't exactly going to affect emulator speed, having such a small amount of it is a bit of a hurdle to get over.

10. BORTZ
    OP

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Ah. see, these are the things I need to know.

11. Maxternal

Nov 15, 2011
    There would be some hope of the more powerful one running the less powerful one if they run on the same architectures. With them both being ARM it would make sense to run a good portion of the 3DS's code natively on Vita (kinda like how I understand Drastic runs DS code on Android)
    If a 1ghz single core ARM Android device can emulate the DS's 67Mhz processor, it doesn't seem TOO far fetched for the Vita's quad core 2ghz processor to emulate the 3DS's dual core 266mhz processor.
    (I know there's a lot more to emulation than just the proc, especially the GPU but you get the idea that it's not THAT far fetched when they're both running the same architecture and one is so much more powerful than the other)

Of course this is coming from a guy who thinks Wii and GC games should be able to be run in a correctly designed virtual machine on PS3 or 360 since they're also much more powerful and in the same PPC family ... but that point has yet to be proven either :P

EDIT : oops, was using the DSi clock speed instead of the 3DS

12. Maxternal

Nov 15, 2011
    It's a hurtle you can get over with virtual memory and a pagefile ... but that WILL effect the speed quite a bit.

13. DinohScene

DinohScene Capture the Dino

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    В небо
    I'd love to see GC games being run on the Vita.
    Wii games...
    Well, ones that can be controlled with a GC controller could but a Mote..
    The back plate could indeed be the pointer, but the motion controls would be extremely awkward.

Ohwell, they said they couldn't run a N64 game on the PSP, they achieved it.
    GC on Vita is plausible.
    I hope it's possible.

14. Prior22

Prior22 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 23, 2010
    United States
    Maybe I'm off base here, but it seems as though a lot of the good homebrew developers have moved on to android and IOS. So even when the Vita is eventually hacked I don't think it will a high priority amongst the homebrew community.

15. Saturosias

Saturosias Sakura-sō Resident

Dec 27, 2010
    United States
    Wii is last gen. Why do people keep calling the current consoles "next-gen"? They're already out, there's nothing futuristic about them.

16. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    He was talking about the 3DS.

BortzANATOR and TyBlood13 like this.
  17. CrimzonEyed

CrimzonEyed GBAtemp Addict

Sep 3, 2007
    It would require vita mode hack though.

18. heartgold

heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 11, 2009
    London
    No sorry Vita is too weak to emulate them. Even current phones with superior hardware than the Vita struggle. That hurdle is soon to be broken as we get more powerful GPU's in phones. Processors are fine as I understand, nevertheless something like quadA15 is miles better than quadA9.

It could emulate them, but not at playable speeds. Like 1FPS.

Dolphin dev is hopeful that performance can greatly increase with the upcoming Tegra K1, it offers full OpenGL 4.4.

RodrigoDavy likes this.
  19. Wisenheimer

Wisenheimer GBAtemp Fan

Sep 23, 2013
    United States
    Based on the architecture used, I think the clock speed of the 3DS processor is at least 1GHz, maybe even a bit more. Nintendo never released the specs on these things. No doubt, the measured lower speed was accurate, as they are underclocked to save power, but game designers might have the ability to raise the clock speed as needed.

But since the Vita is ARM architecture anyway, it would avoid the overhead of interpretation.

Only the very newest mobile Arm chips are pushing anything near the single-threaded FLOPS of the Wii's Broadway processor, so I doubt emulation at a reasonable speed is possible on the Vita. The only way I could see it as possible is if it were somehow cleverly split up between all the cores with help from the GPU, but usually that is not possible with the game code itself, since it is single-threaded.

20. Wisenheimer

Wisenheimer GBAtemp Fan

Sep 23, 2013
    United States
    The GPU's in the Vita are already probably faster than the GPUs in the Gamecube (which was the fastest of its generation). The GPU is only really useful to do the rendering. Most of the slow down in emulation is in the CPU, because that is where the emulation code is run, including the interpreter/recompiler.