curious about media

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by wiimii, Jul 17, 2007.

Jul 17, 2007

curious about media by wiimii at 9:38 AM (734 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. wiimii
    OP

Member wiimii GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    hey everyone i just wanted to know how well Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R discs have faired for anyone using them for wii backups ,

did you get good results with this media , just curious as i have a wiikey to install and already got a 100 pack of Taiyo Yuden discs , hope i can use these with my modded wii [​IMG]

wiimii

2. Hooya

Member Hooya GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    I bought a 100 pack of the exact same disks (well, they are TY 8x DVD-R anyway). They work consistently for everything. I have a Sony DRU-810A burner and I run Windows Vista 32 bit. I found that ImgBurn really does give me the best results (after trying Alcohol 120%, Nero, Ashampoo, CloneDVD and one other I can't remember right now) - meaning so far no failed writes and all the disks I make with it load on the Wii and give very few if any DREs (I think I've had 1 in the last two months). I burn at 8x for everything.

Do me a favor: on the DVD on the inside ring just where the color starts there should be a little code there, something like GG000239 is what I'm looking for. You'll have to angle the DVD just right in order to see it but it's definitely there. Can you post the number on your disks? That can potentially tell you the quality of the batch you happened to receive.

3. wiimii
    OP

United Kingdom
    HOOYA.... i have read the code for you mate , sorry its been a while , its GG000244 printed on the inner ring of the discs

4. Hooya

United States
    That's from a similar quality batch as my own (0002xx instead of 0003xx which would be worse). You should have no problems if your burner is in good shape.

5. wiimii
    OP

United Kingdom
    yeh cheers

wiimii

why does the quality vary anyway , depending on the batches of disc ?

6. Hooya

United States
    I don't know why. I thought I read on CDFreaks that end of batches aren't as good or something? Not sure. But yours is very close to mine, so I suspect the quality is comparable.

7. joejet

Newcomer joejet Newbie

United States
    I have always sworn by Taiyo Yuden, but for my Wii, i have the x16 disks, TY03 and i cannot get one burn that does not produce read errors... i have tried speeds from 4x to 20x on my LG and BenQ and both kick out stuff that either fails to read, or up to 15 min into a game fails...

On the other hand, i have some crap 2nd class Daxxon disks that are CompUsa branded and they dont fail at any burn speed...

I have read on another forum of a user having problems with TY... could there be a batch of Wii's that have lasers that just dont like TY??? The disks are flawless for every other purpose i have tried.

I am purchasing Verbatims, Prodiscs, and Riteks to see how they fare this week...