Hacking Curious about anti-piracy/compatibility

keke_keke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just put Pokemon Black (J) on just to fiddle around for 5 mins and noticed there were no signs of anti-piracy or compatibility issues, and this was a clean ROM with no codes. It just got me thinking. Does the Akaio firmware have a generalised method of dealing with this type of AP, or does it have a list of games with a specific fix for each? Basically, when I pick up the English version in a week, will it be dealing with the problems with what it knows, or will it be awaiting a firmware update with a fix for this version of this game? Hopefully that made sense. Thanks!

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
AKAIO does indeed have an AP Bypass, though Pokemon Black (J) has been fixed for a while now.
When the (U) version comes out it will almost assuredly have different AntiPiracy than the (J) version since HeartGold/SoulSilver had different AP for J and U regions, and you will most likely need to wait for it to be fixed be fixed.
Not to speak for the AKAIO team or make any promise/guarantees, but they typically put out a new version or an updated loader for the major releases that need fixing, so I don't expect it to be too long of a wait.

keke_keke

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So basically it has a list of specific fixes that'll need updating (or an AR code/minor ROM hack)? Kind of annoying but it's Pokémon, it'll get fixed fast.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
keke_keke said:
So basically it has a list of specific fixes that'll need updating (or an AR code/minor ROM hack)? Kind of annoying but it's Pokémon, it'll get fixed fast.
It could work day one without the AP Bypass, but I wouldn't expect it to since it's Nintendo's biggest handheld franchise game.
It could work day one with the AP Bypass, but I would be equally surprised if it did worked as if it didn't. The AP Bypass in AKAIO isn't like the ones on Cyclops Evolution and SuperCard DSTwo(?) where it boots into a 'clean mode' that treats the game exactly like a retail cart does.

No one can really answer the question beyond "Maybe, wait and see" until the game is out.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yes, AAP will only target a specific AP but when Normmatt releases a fix through the loader, it is usually a general fix.

For example, the Pokemon HGSS dumps were out in Korea right before the US release. The J release had already been cracked but the Korean release had this annoying AP where it froze after the user input a certain number of events such as movement or menu navigation.

Everyone ignored the Korean release because they knew the US release would be right around the corner and that's more important. Normmatt didn't and fixed the Korean release & released a new loader before the US release came around.

The US release hit and nonetheless, it had the same about the AP as the Korean release. Every Acekard owner was delighted as they were the only cards capable of playing game at launch x)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: