Jeda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Never owned a cube and now that I own a Wii I, among other things, want to play those cube gems I missed. I'm checked ebay to buy some cube controllers, and noticed there are several 3rd party ones available. Has anyone tested a non official gc controller on the Wii?

Asuming all controllers work, what is a good Cube controller, or more important is there one you would defenitly avoid?

Sevael

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Personally, I would never buy 3rd-party controllers (or memory cards). Most people don't have very good experiences with them. You can never go wrong with the Nintendo brand.

I suggest that you get yourself a WaveBird GC controller and enjoy the same wireless freedom you get from your Wii remote.

mah76

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i got 2 wavebird controllers to play my gamecube games on my wii, i got them for £17.99 each brand new. i'm never going back to wired controllers the rumble feature is good but i'd rather go wireless.

gixxaman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want good 3rd party cube controllers go YOBO .... Their xbox and cube, SNES controllers are super fab. Other than that stick with the birds. I have 4 of em on my WII.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Slightly off-topic: can Gamecube controllers be used for VC games, or only Gamecube games? The manual is kind of undecided on the matter. How about Wii games that require a Classic controller? Can it be replaced with the Gamecube one?

On topic: I reccomend Case Logic controllers. Very cheap, not bad.

DaRk_ViVi

Sending you back... to the future!
Trophies
Website
www.darkvivi.it
XP
Country
Italy
Depends on the game: some vc games can be played even with the WiiMote. However the supported controllers are written in the page where you buy the game (there is an image of the supported ones).
smile.gif

@Jeda: Same situation (never owned a cube), but i bought an official (used) one for 17€. I always prefer to use the official things.
wink.gif

azndragonguy115

Trophies
Website
hai-san.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
Slightly off-topic: can Gamecube controllers be used

yesVC games, or only Gamecube games? The manual is kind of undecided on the matter. How about Wii games that require a Classic controller? Can it be replaced with the Gamecube one?

On topic: I reccomend Case Logic controllers. Very cheap, not bad.

yes

Monkey01

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Controllers I own:

Thrustmaster Firestorm PowerShock
Rating: 2/10
Price: €? I can't remember what I've paid for it, but it wasn't worth it. I believe it was over €20, but it was a long time ago, so things were more expansive then anyway.
Hmmkay, when you put the controller in your hands, first thing you'll notice is that you can't really put it normally in your hands, because the places behind the C stick and the 4WayButton are made to big. So you have to put your hands weirdly to normally wield the controller.
Second thing you'll notice is that the C-Stick is one hell of a piece of crap, it's tiny and slips out of your finger.
More importantly though, the controller didn't survive long, in like a month or so it began automatically going right with the stick if you didn't move it, so now it's quite useless since it always automatically goes right all the time, so it's a pretty fucked up controller.

Big Ben
Rating: 7/10
Price: €15 And you get a memory card (4Mb) and a cd wallet with it. The CD wallet was a piece of crap, can't exactly remember why, but it really was. Don't know about the memory card, I already had two of which one big, so I gave it away.

This controller is quite good actually, it was pretty cheap and not much worse than the originals. It fits in your hands almost just like the originals and all buttons and sticks are almost indentical to the originals. Only the 4WayButton is round on this controller, which makes it a little harder to control menu's sometimes and personally I really hate the Slow and Turbo buttons, when you accidentaly press them and it goes pause,unpause,pause,unpause... aargh, which freak ever though of that anyway, it's so damn useless, like there is any game in which this would just normally slow down the game or something, and then makes things easier. But it doesn't really happen that often, so it's a pretty nice controller.

Big Ben Mini
Rating: 7/10
Price: €9 No trash-can filling stuff with this product though.
frown.gif

This product is just like the normal sized Big Ben Controller, but it's smaller and because it's smaller, the turbo and slow buttons didn't fit on it anymore, so they were removed, if you've read the text above, you know how upset I was because of this.
cry.gif

Anyway, so the removal of the slowmo button would make the rating a little higher, but unfortunately, the smaller size is a little to small for me, it just doesn't fit in the hand as nicely as the bigger Big Ben did. It's not as annoying as Thrustmasters piece of crap, but the bigger is a little nicer in that way. Appart from that it's just like the normal Big Ben, just somewhat smaller.

PS: Big Ben now has a controller which they promote as a wii compatible controller. (The older ones from them, as well as any other gc controller I guess, work fine with wii also) It costs €10 here and by the looks of it, it's just a recolored version of the big Big Ben controller, but without the memory card and the 'cd case'. The new colors make me puke though...

Remy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Since we're talking about controllers...

Which one has a better response time? Wired or wire-less?

And do wavebirds really have no rumble feature?

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I haven't noticed any difference in the official controllers between wired and wirelesss.
Also the wavebird is devoid of rumble because of battery life concerns, TBH they could have released another version in the meantime that does support rumble.

mr_blonde_88

Torture You? That's A Good Idea. I Like That
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
questions about the WaveBird and the Wii

Do u still needa plug the lil signal box into the controller ports when using the wavebird of the Wii?

And is their any 3rd party wireless rumble controllers for the Cube?

Bizmat

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ebgames has gamecube controllers for $15 that are really good and durable
the controller is called the Mad Catz GameCube MicroCon Control Pad

legendofphil

Phil no Densetsu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
questions about the WaveBird and the Wii

Do u still needa plug the lil signal box into the controller ports when using the wavebird of the Wii?

And is their any 3rd party wireless rumble controllers for the Cube?

Yeah the reciever unit still needs to be plugged into the Wii, because the Wavebird doesn't use the same wireless technology as the Wiimote. That and the gamecube side doesn't see any of the Wii exclusive hardware, which inbuilt wireless controller support would be.

The only 3rd party wireless rumble controller I know about is the Pelican G3 Wireless Controller. There may be a couple more, I don't know.

Jeda

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Thanks all! On wireless vs. rumble, I'm defenitly the no cables kind of person so if I had a choice a would go wavebird. But those things don't seem to be available at a usefull price at the moment. I can't seem to find a price of lower than 50€ for new ones, and there are only like 7 items on Ebay germany, most of them including the cube themselves. The wired one doesn't seem to be much cheaper. And I will need at least two of them anyway...

The cube features aren't much more than an nice addon for me and I don't want to sink too much money into it (for now). So I guess I'll wait for a chance to buy some birds for a good price and get myself some no name cabled ones for now. They sell 3 for 14€ so I guess I can't do much wrong there..

edit: Oh well it ended differently. I went second hand shopping and came across a original wired one for 10€ and bought it. Then I bought a memory card and Metroid Prime at EB Games. So now I'll play that for a while. Once ssbm is available somewhere I can still get a second controller. The other titles I am intrested in seem to be 1 player only anyway.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs