Hacking CTRTransfer (region changing) on a brand new console

mondul

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
Hi, I want to know if this is possible.

I purchased a brand new Japanese New 2DS LL for about a hundred bucks on eBay. I already have a ntrboot compatible flash cart and I can flash it with one of my DSis. So, what I want to do after I receive the new console is:
  1. Fully charge it after unboxing it.
  2. Boot godmode9 using the magnethax and the flash cart.
  3. Make a backup.
  4. Transfer the 11.5 USA CTRTransfer image to the CTRNAND.
  5. Do the “CTRTransfer Ticket Copy” (might not generate any as the console is new).
  6. Reboot the console to do the first time setup in a language that I can understand.
  7. Install boot9strap and Luma.
  8. Restore the CTRTransfer tickets (if any) with FBI.
  9. Profit.
Has anyone else tried this? How did it go? Thanks.

templeofhylia

homo supreme
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it'll work just fine! the method you're describing is already well known to region change a 3ds console, there's more info and a thorough guide for it here.
i don't doubt that you know what you're doing but i would recommend a quick skim of at least the introduction and following the guide after as much as possible.

edit: i think steps 6 and 7 on your list need to be swapped. bootstrap and luma need to be installed BEFORE you reboot into your new region otherwise the console might not boot at all because of verification failures. although you could easily recover from this because you are using ntrhax, i would still suggest you follow the guide i linked to be on the safe/easy/productive side.

Last edited by templeofhylia,

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Doing the CTRTransfer before installing B9S does not look like a good idea to me. You essentially end up with a region changed console without CFW. [Can I remove the CFW of 3DS after did the region change?]

I would do this (assuming you are familiar with 3ds.hacks.guide)
  1. Prepare the flashcart
  2. Download GodMode9, SafeB9SInstaller B9S
    • prepare the files as explained in the guide but with GodMode9.firm renamed to boot.firm and SafeB9SInstaller.firm not renamed.
    • copy the CTRTransfer image to the SD
  3. ntrboot to GodMode9
    • scripts, GM9MegaScript, NAND backup…
    • navigate to SafeB9SInstaller.firm and chainload the file → Install B9S
  4. CTRTransfer stuff[…]
  5. Put Luma and the Homebrew Launcher on the SD, put GodMode9 to SD:/luma/payloads and do the finalizing setup.
  6. If everything works after region changing, create second NAND image.
Doing ntrboot might take a few tries. This is the reason why I would want it to do only once. It may have been bad luck: I can reliably pull off ntrboot on N3DSXL almost every time, but I had to try five or six times on the N2DSXL.

Reactions: mondul

RedL

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Was in the same position as you. Decided to go EmuNand and keep the SysNand on OFW to be safe. You may like this approach too.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended