Hacking CSO or ISO

kazekun

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I know csos, ocupys less space than the iso, but i also heard that it loads slower and can give some hicups on games, can someone explain me better pros and cons of csos or isos ?

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Without a doubt, for the best playing experience is ISO.

I tend to avoid .cso because it's highly likely someone has ripped something out of it (updates, movies, etc.) or it loads crappy and has problems on demanding games.

If you're not bothered about memory and have got a big enough card, go for ISO. It's not like you need 20 games on the PSP at one time.

.Chris

Clueless
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
CSO, as you said in your post, use up less space than ISOs, but the downside is that CSOs are sometimes laggy.

ISOs, although they take up a little bit more space, they run smoothly, no lags.

Raika

uguu
Trophies
XP
Country
ISOs experience almost no lag and it has better loading speeds compared to CSOs. For some games CSOs lag, and CSOs also have slower loading speeds most of the time.

In other words, stick to ISO.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Like others said, you'd probably would tend to stay away from CSO's I remember finding one that had none of the movies. CSO can also slow down the game, it took WAY longer for loading screen in KH:BBS in CSO then in ISO.

roastable

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
CSO also isn't compatible with some plugins.
I know that to use the DLC in Dissidia 012 with nploader the game has to be an untouched ISO
I use CSO whenever I don't have enough space, or I plan the layout of my memory stick to fit exactly the right amount of data with a combination of ISOs and CSOs.
Preferably, as other people have said, I use ISOs.

Darktalon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know why some eboot things are much smaller than the iso variant? Is this because someone took things out? For example Patapon 3 eboot is like 275MB while even the CSO is 400MB....

roastable

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
aj_hix36 said:
Does anyone know why some eboot things are much smaller than the iso variant? Is this because someone took things out? For example Patapon 3 eboot is like 275MB while even the CSO is 400MB....
I don't think you're supposed to convert PSP ISOs to EBOOT...
I think only PS1 games are supposed to be converted?
Look here I believe?

Ace Overclocked

My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
roastable said:
I know that to use the DLC in Dissidia 012 with nploader the game has to be an untouched ISO
I use CSO whenever I don't have enough space, or I plan the layout of my memory stick to fit exactly the right amount of data with a combination of ISOs and CSOs.
what?!!!
i have a dissidia 012 CSO and i still can use the dlc

roastable

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
aminemaster said:
roastable said:
what?!!!
i have a dissidia 012 CSO and i still can use the dlc
Really? That's news to me. Did you download them from the PSN or have to use a patch?

roastable

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
aminemaster said:
i use the nploader and the nodrm method with 6.20 pro-b6 to use the dlc pack that i downloaded from a site (i was on pro-b4 and it still worked)

Ohh, that's why. I'm on 5.50.

QUOTE(kazekun @ Jun 21 2011, 10:23 AM) can anyone sugest me a good cso to iso converter? i see some of the games i have are in cso

I get the best compressing results with Yacc (Yet Another CSO Compressor)
Not sure if I it works the other way around.
On the other hand, a lot of people use UMDgen I think.

DjoeN

Captain Haddock!
Trophies
Website
djoen.dommel.be
XP
Country
Belgium

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
CSO is not one single form of compression. There's 9 compression levels, videos may or may not be compressed, same with audio, some files may be ripped, blah blah blah.

It is possible to convert an ISO to an EBOOT now, but it only works on stuff up to a certain filesize, so people will often rip the videos out of games to make them smaller.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Rydian said:
CSO is not one single form of compression. There's 9 compression levels, videos may or may not be compressed, same with audio, some files may be ripped, blah blah blah.
Not only can you select the compression level, but with ciso plus you can specify a compression ratio threshold at which the software does not include a compressed version of a file in the archive.
This feature is rather interesting for some hardware intensive game where you can specify to not compress files that are "dense" or already compressed, decreasing the reading time and cpu load when loading those file.

Edit: I would agree that for a game like kh:bbs, compression is useless since the game is already compressed, you don't save much space from compressing it any further and only result in longer loading.

I always try a cso once (or 2-3 times with different settings) before deciding to use the iso.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    realtimesave @ realtimesave: I have it in my hands