Gaming Crysis 3 is not coming to the Wii U. Is it a sign of whats to come or a horrible decision

T3GZdev

head of T3GZdev
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I like your style. I can already see how things will be develop...

t377y000: we want crisis!!!!!!
Crytek member: you want a crisis?
t377y000: don't get smart with me! Crysis 3. That awesome game you develop! We want it on the wiiu!!!
Crytek member: ah, okay. Nice to hear you like it. :)
t377y000: we want it released on the wiiu. Now!!!
Crytek member: yeah...you and me both, buddy. :)
t377y000: don't try to tell us it can't run. We KNOW it can.
Crytek member: of course you do: we tested the engine and made public conferences saying the engine works fine.
t377y000: don't lie to us! We know...wait...what? Oh....well...yeah, so it works, alright. Then why are you holding back on it?!
Crytek member: erm...we tested a tech demo? Aside from some fancy graphics, we've got nothing. We're busy on other projects that may actually make a profit.
t377y000: I don't care about profits! I want you to release it!
Crytek member: you want us to work for free?
t377y000: no! I want you to make the game. It'll be awesome. It'll sell. It's crisis!
Crytek member: yeah...we know. But honestly: we're sorry to disappoint you, but we're no charity workers. It may be unconventional to your standards, but we like being paid for the work we do. As such, we rather work on things with a chance of getting some money at the end.
t377y000: but if you publish it, it will generate money!
Crytek member: you do know we don't publish games, right? That's the job of EA. In return, they'll offer some advice on what actually makes money.
t377y000: oh. Okay...I see. Sorry.
Crytek member: That's okay.
t377y000: But can you do one thing for me?
Crytek member: it's not about crysis 3, right?
t377y000: no, no, no. Not at all.
Crytek member: then go ahead. :)
t377y000: will you at least release crysis trilogy for the wiiu?

hahaha clever im not that presistant tho. :P
was jk about the spamming them thing.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
And how long did SEGA stay afloat after 9/9/99?
That has nothing to do with anything. That has to do with poor choice of media format, easy piracy, hardly any online, the fact that they set a bad name for themselves since the 32x nobody gave them a chance, they were in huge debt. That and also the fact that the PS2 was able to do DVD playback, whereas the Dreamcast couldn't.

But still, doesn't change the fact that the Dreamcast is a fantastic system with still some of the best games available, Power Stone, Marvel Vs Capcom, Jet Set Radio, Typing of the Dead, Sonic Adventure, a fantastic (quite possibly the best version) of Soul Calibur, hell pretty much every fighting game on the Dreamcast was the definitive version.

gamewitch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because of how radically different the Wii U operates it will take a lot of effort to port games for it, crysis is heavily polished for the 360/PS3 because in the end the sales will make it worth the effort. Wii U's market is still unknown since it's a brand new system.

Effort means that it costs developers money and time to rewrite a TON of code for their games to run and take advantage of the system, as already stated by other devs with they need to make a game for it from scratch to take advantage of the hardware. (This is coming from every dev with a devkit) it's hard work.
Right now the WiiU ports out there are subpar because of this, developers let their B-teams make rushjobs so that if sales bombs they won't lose much. I believe once the other systems are out and developers see their games bringing in profit for being on the WiiU we will start seeing more multiplat games.
actually crisis 3 is most heavily optimized for PC

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
hardly any online

LOL? In 1999? Yeah, because the PS1 and the N64 and even the PS2/GC had SO MUCH online.

I don't disagree with the rest of what you're saying, but I can't believe someone actually wrote that a lack of much online play was a contributing factor to Dreamcast's demise.

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dunno about you guys, but I picked up the Wii U for Nintendo's games.... Ditto the PS3, for Sony's games (and any other exclusives). My 360 is for everything else....
I'm guessing EA think in a similar way, sure Crysis 3 would look every bit as good on Wii U as it will on PS360, maybe even better, but the average Crysis 3 gamer will have at least one of the other 2 consoles, and will also have probably only picked up multiformat games on their PS3 or 360 over the Wii U version: If I suddenly went out of my pissin mind and wanted to buy Black Ops 2, the Wii U version would be my 3rd choice out of the 3 consoles.....

I personally reckon no Crysis 3 on Wii U is actually a good thing anyway: clearly the PS360 versions are gonna look rather shoddy compared to the PC version on a high spec machine - as a Wii U version wouldn't be THAT much better it'd be a bit more embarrassing for Ninty and their brand new console.... PS360 are both definitely showing their age so a graphically dodgy version won't be half as damaging....

Reactions: momocop

momocop

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo for Nintendo games. Wii never needed EA to be a successful system in the market. It shouldn't be a problem now.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
LOL? In 1999? Yeah, because the PS1 and the N64 and even the PS2/GC had SO MUCH online.

I don't disagree with the rest of what you're saying, but I can't believe someone actually wrote that a lack of much online play was a contributing factor to Dreamcast's demise.

PS2 had a lot of online titles dude. Also the GC didnt have any, but Nintendo also didn't set a bad name for themselves with crappy add ons and such like Sega did. Also the Dreamcast wasn't in the same generation as the 64 or PS1 so why bring that up.

The online is a factor because at that time, a lot of people were into the whole online thing and would rather play online than go down the street to play with their friend on their couch. And with so many multiplayer titles and the lack of online, it made for a somewhat boring experience. The only notable online title was Phantasy Star.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
PS2 had a lot of online titles dude. Also the GC didnt have any, but Nintendo also didn't set a bad name for themselves with crappy add ons and such like Sega did. Also the Dreamcast wasn't in the same generation as the 64 or PS1 so why bring that up.

The Dreamcast came out between generations, years before the GC and PS2 hit the scene, so it was initially competing with completely offline consoles.

I don't know a single person who used a PS2 online (I don't personally have one). I have a GC and you needed some expensive adaptor to get online. I don't know any games you could play online other than PSO, and that required a pay per month Hunter's License. I really don't think before the 360 online was a contributing factor whatsoever to console sales.

ReBirFh

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

The online is a factor because at that time, a lot of people were into the whole online thing and would rather play online than go down the street to play with their friend on their couch. And with so many multiplayer titles and the lack of online, it made for a somewhat boring experience. The only notable online title was Phantasy Star.

The Dreamcast competed more with the N64 and PSX than the PS2, PS2 was released on october 2000 (on US) while sega went third party on january 2001, if anything teh Dreamcast was the precursor of successfull/ popular online gaming on consoles, something that hadn't happened before even though there was attempts on previous generations. (SEGA tried with the Mega Drive Modem only released in japan and later with the X-Band for Genesis and on Saturn with the Netlink, Nintendo also had a few attempts).

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Dreamcast came out between generations, years before the GC and PS2 hit the scene, so it was initially competing with completely offline consoles.

I don't know a single person who used a PS2 online (I don't personally have one). I have a GC and you needed some expensive adaptor to get online. I don't know any games you could play online other than PSO, and that required a pay per month Hunter's License. I really don't think before the 360 online was a contributing factor whatsoever to console sales.

Uh what?

PS2 had online titles for games like SOCOM, arguably the best online game for the PS2 where they advertised it heavily. Hell the commercial for SOCOM is one of the funniest commercials ever. They also had Final Fantasy XI which is still being played to this day.

And system sellers? Uh dude, people would buy the original Xbox just to play Halo 2 online. You might not know anybody who did, but people outside of your town, online was a big thing.

Alexrose

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
I live in the centre of the biggest city in England, and I'm a gamer. Literally never heard of anyone going online on a PS2, and all of my friends were massive gamers.

vdoggie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think part of the problem is while the Wii U is probably 2x-3x more powerful than the xbox 360/ps3.. the current engines have really been highly optimized to no end on both of these platforms and Wii U isn't quite powerful enough to do a straight port without some extra effort. Even though the Darksiders II team was like four or five people and got it running within a couple weeks or less, it's still not optimized and Wii U's general architecture and program structure is more akin to how next gen will utilize hardware.. ie moving the majority of processes off of the CPU onto the GPU etc.. It also probably doesn't help that there seems to be a MASSIVE split in ideology of what's important to developers between the East and the West.. The West are obvious gfx whores and think presentation wins over everything.. they also tend to want the grunt of a "powerful" box to do a lot of the work for them. They just aren't into optimization like Nintendo etc... The one thing I don't agree with them is the gag order of not allowing publishers to announce games.. and especially Nintendo not releasing ANYTHING until 6-8 months prior.. Are they self conscious they don't have a grip on HD?? What is the issue here? Could it be they don't want to potentially cannibalize current software that is out? It's certainly NOT helping the situation with the hardcore who they want back.. this sect of gamers gush for any tid bit and nintendo shuts them out.. I think they have lost that sector for good! Only the true diehards will be around to support them and this is dwindling also. As a Nintendo fan, I'm willing to be patient, but they really borked the Wii U.. from the name to explaining what it is etc... I can only hope and wait for Pikmin 3 which is killing me.. it's one the reasons I bought the Wii U.

Reactions: mightymuffy

kisamesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the fear is that wii end up like wii u.... missing out on the top third party games (call of duty, nfs, borderlands, etc..) with only average motion gimmick ports

the problem might(i say might) be that this year, wii u gets all the big titles on its system but once the "real" new generation consoles come out (ps4, xbox720)(next year probably), then the third party companies will release average ports of the big titles as wii u will again lack behind(in terms of hardcore titles) compared to ps4 or xbox720 .. i hope not!

vdoggie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the fear is that wii end up like wii u.... missing out on the top third party games (call of duty, nfs, borderlands, etc..) with only average motion gimmick ports

the problem might(i say might) be that this year, wii u gets all the big titles on its system but once the "real" new generation consoles come out (ps4, xbox720)(next year probably), then the third party companies will release average ports of the big titles as wii u will again lack behind(in terms of hardcore titles) compared to ps4 or xbox720 .. i hope not!

part of the issue has been fostered by Nintendo with the Wii.. almost forcing that issue on developers when all there was the Wiimote.. now the Wii U still carries those controls over and now adds the Gamepad... it's almost like Nintendo is adding more confusion to the mix yet the gamepad and the pro controller allow the "Standardized" controls if you will.. yet the developer still has to consider the former wiimote.. maybe nintendo should have scrapped the compatibility of the wiimote even though in all honesty.. it's pretty darn cool in CERTAIN situations.. both wii sports resort and even nintendoland do a phenomenal job of representing this type of control (regardless if you hate it, I don't think it can really be debunked)

of course I hope not also as I'm going wii u and PC only this new generation as it's already started. I don't have the time or money for all four.. and some are more redundant than other consoles..

the reality even back in the GCN days, all publishers almost NEEDED and or WANTED to port to all three.. the cost to cross port was relatively inexpensive, we are talking needing to sell 50k units to actually MAKE money.. now we KNOW why the Wii didn't get any of these.. they needed their OWN special version.. sorry Nintendo... MASSIVE mistake.. so what is it this time? could it be the extra efforts needed on current projects coming out to not warrant the ports due to this new way of utilizing the components or something else? are 3rd party publishers THAT pissed off they would refuse money knowing they only need to sell 100k units to make PROFIT? In the end, that's what it's about.. PROFIT! So what is holding them back?? Do they feel the sales between 360/ps4 is good enough? There are just so many potential issues and I'm not sure we really know why. One thing is certain, by the time the next gen systems launch.. if Wii U isn't seeing many major 3rd party ports we will have a better understanding.. right now I actually think it has more to do with development time and publishers not willing to take the risk.. which is surprising because it was NEVER this way!!! Ultimate question is whether or not Nintendo hurt themselves more with the Wii even though they caught all the fish with their BLUE OCEAN strategy.. looks like the piranha might come to bite them in the ass!! And ouch if you have seen the teeth on those bad asses!!

kisamesama

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
part of the issue has been fostered by Nintendo with the Wii.. almost forcing that issue on developers when all there was the Wiimote.. now the Wii U still carries those controls over and now adds the Gamepad... it's almost like Nintendo is adding more confusion to the mix yet the gamepad and the pro controller allow the "Standardized" controls if you will.. yet the developer still has to consider the former wiimote.. maybe nintendo should have scrapped the compatibility of the wiimote even though in all honesty.. it's pretty darn cool in CERTAIN situations.. both wii sports resort and even nintendoland do a phenomenal job of representing this type of control (regardless if you hate it, I don't think it can really be debunked)

of course I hope not also as I'm going wii u and PC only this new generation as it's already started. I don't have the time or money for all four.. and some are more redundant than other consoles..

the reality even back in the GCN days, all publishers almost NEEDED and or WANTED to port to all three.. the cost to cross port was relatively inexpensive, we are talking needing to sell 50k units to actually MAKE money.. now we KNOW why the Wii didn't get any of these.. they needed their OWN special version.. sorry Nintendo... MASSIVE mistake.. so what is it this time? could it be the extra efforts needed on current projects coming out to not warrant the ports due to this new way of utilizing the components or something else? are 3rd party publishers THAT pissed off they would refuse money knowing they only need to sell 100k units to make PROFIT? In the end, that's what it's about.. PROFIT! So what is holding them back?? Do they feel the sales between 360/ps4 is good enough? There are just so many potential issues and I'm not sure we really know why. One thing is certain, by the time the next gen systems launch.. if Wii U isn't seeing many major 3rd party ports we will have a better understanding.. right now I actually think it has more to do with development time and publishers not willing to take the risk.. which is surprising because it was NEVER this way!!! Ultimate question is whether or not Nintendo hurt themselves more with the Wii even though they caught all the fish with their BLUE OCEAN strategy.. looks like the piranha might come to bite them in the ass!! And ouch if you have seen the teeth on those bad asses!!

on top of that, everyone expects to have something more when a third publisher release a port on the wii u or wii (like it must use motion somewhere) or for wii u, it must use the gamepad! this can discourage the third parties..if they just provide the classic controllers with no motion bs that does not work well, i would still be very satisfied.. the motion or gamepad controller should not be "obligatory" ... like the kinect on xbox, not all games need it

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)