Gaming Crysis 3 is not coming to the Wii U. Is it a sign of whats to come or a horrible decision

Lurker2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good job on the sensationalist title.

CRYSIS 3 NOT ON WII U, NINTENDO DOOMED!
I was not trying to imply anything like that and neither was I trying to create a sensationalist title. All that I'm trying to say is it is quite possible that this is a sign that third party support might be dead or be serious lacking on the system in the future. It could also be cost of recoding the game for the system versus sales or EA having problems with Nintendo.
Choosing not to support something because youre Lazy
It could be many reasons but them being lazy is not one of them. It is all about the money.

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It has nothing to do with power.

Cost of development > Potential Profit. That's as simple as it is. Crytek doesn't want to publish a game on an unproven platform that has no guarantee of selling well.
Crytek is a game development studio, not a publisher. EA is their publisher. And EA doesn't want to publish it as long as they and Nintendo don't come to an agreement.

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was not trying to imply anything like that and neither was I trying to create a sensationalist title. All that I'm trying to say is it is quite possible that this is a sign that third party support might be dead or be serious lacking on the system in the future. It could also be cost of recoding the game for the system versus sales or EA having problems with Nintendo.

It could be many reasons but them being lazy is not one of them. It is all about the money.
lazy money

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was sure the Wii-U is using a tool-chain originally created for super computers and mainframes or was that rumor proven to be false? If true it would mean devs taking even longer to get used to the Wii-U.

Elrinth

:Master beyond your imagination:
Trophies
Website
www.elrinth.com
XP
Country
Because of how radically different the Wii U operates it will take a lot of effort to port games for it, crysis is heavily polished for the 360/PS3 because in the end the sales will make it worth the effort. Wii U's market is still unknown since it's a brand new system.

Effort means that it costs developers money and time to rewrite a TON of code for their games to run and take advantage of the system, as already stated by other devs with they need to make a game for it from scratch to take advantage of the hardware. (This is coming from every dev with a devkit) it's hard work.
Right now the WiiU ports out there are subpar because of this, developers let their B-teams make rushjobs so that if sales bombs they won't lose much. I believe once the other systems are out and developers see their games bringing in profit for being on the WiiU we will start seeing more multiplat games.
Don't forget, Crysis 3 is for PC aswell! :)

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
Noob Question:

How radically different are the architecture and methods of coding upon a wiiu compared to the current gen ps360 , because its sounds like a limp excuse from where im sat to "not be bothered" to recode a game for the wiiu , is it a total rewrite or a tweaks here n there... surely if a game has to be rewritten to function on the wiiu , then so does a "cod/fifa" port , therefor how much more work would be involved to port and enhance ?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Noob Question:

How radically different are the architecture and methods of coding upon a wiiu compared to the current gen ps360 , because its sounds like a limp excuse from where im sat to "not be bothered" to recode a game for the wiiu , is it a total rewrite or a tweaks here n there... surely if a game has to be rewritten to function on the wiiu , then so does a "cod/fifa" port , therefor how much more work would be involved to port and enhance ?
I think you CAN still do things more or less the same as on the PS360 (probably with some minor tweaks and edits) but it's just not as efficient. This is why games that need a lot of resources like Crysis have to be ported over with the new architecture in mind. For simpler games, this might not be necessary.

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
Noob Question:

We don't know much about the Wii U hardware, but to give you a general gist of how the system is built: Low clock speed tri core CPU (that way they can make a small system without overheating and high powerconsumption), 2Gig ram (4x512) and a really good GPU according to what we've heard and read. The difficulties devs have with the system is to port games from old systems relying on CPU calculations to new hardware which focuses on a modern GPU with GPGPU functionallity (meaning that it's capable of doing processes the CPU normally struggles with in order to make up for the lack of CPU speed, this is how modern computers operate as well). One thing we need to know before we can judge the Wii U and how it will look compared to future systems is what the GPGPU is capable of, as of now we have no idea how good that portion of the system is, personally I'm actually somewhat optimistic after reading how Iwata thinks the system will soon be able double the quality of the visuals we've currently seen. And seeing their future plans with the Wii U I wouldn't be surprised if it was the next gen PS2 power wise.

Currently this is pretty much all the confirmed information, there has been rumors but please take them with a bucket of salt as the "slow ram speed" rumor for example got completely debunked.

dtp30

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So no metro: Last light (was EA publishing that??)
Now no Crysis 3,
Next it will be no Sniper: Ghost warrior 2...
Lucky i have a PC.... Not a good start :-(

Pippin666

SSF43DE Master
Trophies
Website
www.tetesrasees.com
XP
Country
Canada
Because of how radically different the Wii U operates it will take a lot of effort to port games for it, crysis is heavily polished for the 360/PS3 because in the end the sales will make it worth the effort. Wii U's market is still unknown since it's a brand new system.

Effort means that it costs developers money and time to rewrite a TON of code for their games to run and take advantage of the system, as already stated by other devs with they need to make a game for it from scratch to take advantage of the hardware. (This is coming from every dev with a devkit) it's hard work.
Right now the WiiU ports out there are subpar because of this, developers let their B-teams make rushjobs so that if sales bombs they won't lose much. I believe once the other systems are out and developers see their games bringing in profit for being on the WiiU we will start seeing more multiplat games.
In the past, I have read the opposite; http://gamerant.com/wii-u-hardware-team-ninja-jeff-128246/

Pip'

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country
It is easier to optimize for than it is to optimize games for PS360 plus making games from scratch should be much easier too which is what devs say when they are asked if they are planning on supporting the WiiU, "we must make a game from scratch in order to take advantage of the system". But as I said before, developing and porting for PS360 makes it very profitable and worth the added effort, the Wii U is more of a gamble since it's new.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Honestly, there's no reason to not make this for the WiiU other than the fact that EA is being too thick headed. It's not that hard to develop for the WiiU. Hell look at games like Blops 2, Assassin's Creed 3 and such. They all came out at or around the same time as other consoles, and they look just as great. There's literally no excuse at all.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
we need strike & spam crytek until they change there mind. lol
& give us crisis 3 on wii u.
if not atleast give us a crisis trilogy on wii u.
I like your style. I can already see how things will be develop...

t377y000: we want crisis!!!!!!
Crytek member: you want a crisis?
t377y000: don't get smart with me! Crysis 3. That awesome game you develop! We want it on the wiiu!!!
Crytek member: ah, okay. Nice to hear you like it. :)
t377y000: we want it released on the wiiu. Now!!!
Crytek member: yeah...you and me both, buddy. :)
t377y000: don't try to tell us it can't run. We KNOW it can.
Crytek member: of course you do: we tested the engine and made public conferences saying the engine works fine.
t377y000: don't lie to us! We know...wait...what? Oh....well...yeah, so it works, alright. Then why are you holding back on it?!
Crytek member: erm...we tested a tech demo? Aside from some fancy graphics, we've got nothing. We're busy on other projects that may actually make a profit.
t377y000: I don't care about profits! I want you to release it!
Crytek member: you want us to work for free?
t377y000: no! I want you to make the game. It'll be awesome. It'll sell. It's crisis!
Crytek member: yeah...we know. But honestly: we're sorry to disappoint you, but we're no charity workers. It may be unconventional to your standards, but we like being paid for the work we do. As such, we rather work on things with a chance of getting some money at the end.
t377y000: but if you publish it, it will generate money!
Crytek member: you do know we don't publish games, right? That's the job of EA. In return, they'll offer some advice on what actually makes money.
t377y000: oh. Okay...I see. Sorry.
Crytek member: That's okay.
t377y000: But can you do one thing for me?
Crytek member: it's not about crysis 3, right?
t377y000: no, no, no. Not at all.
Crytek member: then go ahead. :)
t377y000: will you at least release crysis trilogy for the wiiu?

gameandmatch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
EA games on each system:
Wii - 74
360- 120
PS3 - 114
As far as I can tell, EA never really been a huge developer on Nintendo system. If you take out all the sports games on the wii, you will only see games like MySims, Rockband, and the family game such as Monopoly.

nukeboy95

Old skool member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
here why

Publishers - "We're not making games for Wii U until more people own it."
Customers - "We're not going to own Wii U until we get more games for it."
Publishers - "We're not making games for Wii U until more people own it."
Customers - "We're not going to..."

Reactions: SinR

Lurker2

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So no metro: Last light (was EA publishing that??)
Now no Crysis 3,
Next it will be no Sniper: Ghost warrior 2...
Lucky i have a PC.... Not a good start :-(
THQ is being sold Janurary 22nd. It is quite possible Metro will not be released or will be published by another company.

rupok93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
crysis has now turned into a horrible cod clone with nanosuit and nice graphics. I loved the first crysis but after crysis 2 i could care less. I think wii u owners aren't missing out. Wii U will sell in the bucketloads after Nintendo uses some of their exclusivity magic such as a new metroid or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: butt