1. Nightwish

Nightwish GBAtemp Fan

Portugal
    What's the point of a high end GPU anyway, the gameplay's the same. I guess it's the only way not to get bored AAA these days... keep spending so it keeps going down, will you guys? Buy some Vives while you're at it, I might buy both 5 years from now if you do it.

How many people are mining, anyway? I'd think there'd be more usage for Deep Learning than cryptofads, but I really have no idea.

EDIT: typos

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  2. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Serbia, Republic of
    I don't think this is the best site for posting this kind of news.

3. Jarmenti

Jarmenti Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Canada
    The 1080 and Ti editions werent' affected as they are "crappier" at mining... less hashes per watt than the 1070 and amd cards... At one point you could sell your 1070, buy a 1080ti and a case of beer! I had just sold a 1070 to my friend for $500 CAD just prior to the GPU frenzy! lol

4. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    IMG_0588.PNG IMG_0589.PNG IMG_0590.PNG
    I'm willing to bet crypto is here for good. Basic economics dictates every bubble has a bust. The GPU market just had a bubble because of the Eth bubble. It'll bust as well.

It's actually better if it lasts a bit longer, because retailers will increase stocks of mining cards. Then the bust happens so they liquidate at cheap prices for brand new cards, rather than miners liquidating used ones.

5. Elysium420

Elysium420 Astral projector

Greece
    In a way they were. Due to mining, there was, as we know, a lack of cheaper cards. The more expensive cards weren't affected directly, but when there was a lack of 1060s everyone bought 1080s despite them being pricier. In turn, that caused a similar lack of 1080s as well. I was truly lucky to find a generally speaking cheap 1080 two days ago on Ebay.

6. Todderbert

Todderbert Korg Fanboy

United States
    I have a pair of 1050Tis running [email protected], they are awesome cards.

As far as crypto crap and fake money, I'll hang onto the real stuff.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  7. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Finally miner get what they deserved.

8. Lucifer666

Lucifer666 all the world needs is me

United Kingdom
    Everyone on this thread's acting like people investing time and money into setting up mining stations is inherently a bad thing lol

Surprise, graphics manufacturers can tailor to both miners and gamers it doesn't have to be mutually exclusive. At least mining has encouraged the industry to move forward

9. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Italy
    Pls can u provide me the link?

10. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    A quote I once saw pertaining to bitcoin exchanges was
    "There are two types of bitcoin exchange; those which have been hacked, and those which don't yet know they have been hacked"
    Seems history gets to repeat itself.

How is one a cuck, either in the traditional sense or the more recent weird alt right/internet sense, for buying a GPU to use?

Plenty of people have had their paypal account hacked, are we to dismiss more conventional currencies off the back of that?

Calculating lots of numbers at a time? Pretty sure that is what they were being used for.

Contrary to the other reply you go there is more to it. Yes it can function as another currency but it also does something called smart contracts

Ethereum is then the one to do this that has caught the mind of the public.

As of writing this we seem to be on the third page of discussion which is staying on topic. The site clearly has a tech focus and this is a fairly major event within it all.

They appear to be participating in a legal activity that is not harming anybody other than those which "have" to have some of the shinier graphics cards right now. What might they deserve?

Nightwish and Mikemk like this.
  11. Yil

Yil GBAtemp Addict

Canada
    Everything from rx 560 to gtx 1070 are gone or resold at over twice the price, and all of them are second handed with damaged chip. It's not just shinier ones, but every single gpu worth buying below originally priced at $450.

12. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Your point? Demand exceeded supply and a price rose because of it. Sucks if you had a gaming rig planned or something but beyond that I can not see a problem.

13. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

United States
    That's precisely the problem... I've been waiting patiently for the 1060 6GB to come down below $200, and just as it hit the $200 mark, they go up to over $400, thanks to miners... Now I have to wait for them to move on to 8GB cards, as well as wait for the used cards to trickle away and new cards to become restocked at regular price again.

14. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Sucks to be you I guess. Still not seeing what the miners might have done wrong in any kind of legal, moral or ethical sense.

15. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

United States
    Their GREED for mining is taking away the ability of others who want to upgrade at retail price... What's not to get?

Elysium420 likes this.
  16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    I was once in a used car stealership and the guy asked "how much do you want to pay today?"
    The reply of course was nothing at all.

Equally it is usually called RRP which is recommended retail price, not hard enforced retail price. Going further said retail price is not some magical price derived by science and some kind of idea of fairness and is what they think they can gouge out of you for it.

17. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

Antarctica
    Paypal is better protected then crypto currency.
    The money back be traced back, something that crypto currency can't.

I'm all for digital currencies, don't get me wrong on that.
    But having a non-centralized currency with constantly inflating prices...

It's highly unlikely that in this day and age, a robber would successfully pull off a heist.
    Chances of being busted are a trillion to one.

18. Elysium420

Elysium420 Astral projector

Greece
    Don't worry, they'll get it when Ethereum finally crashes and burns.

19. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

United States
    +1
    I've had my Paypal hacked in 2011 or 2012, (forgot which year). I called them, and they returned all my money, banned the hacker, and changed my password. Paypal has really good customer service. They helped me out every time, when someone ripped me off on eBay, which is pretty rare.

20. air2004

air2004 Air

United States
    What are the odds that this was an inside job?

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Ethereum, Currency, Crypto