CryEngine 3 Trailer Shows What Next Gen Consoles Could Be Like

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My problem with Crytek specifically is that it thinks it can be another id and get a free pass on making sloppy, unplayable engines and have a half-hearted game for the elitists to sensually masturbate themselves to while the rest of the gaming industry is somehow expected to fix their broken shit for them, just like John Carmack has been getting away with for so many years.

Carmack tried it again with id tech 5 and got rightfully blasted for the mess it created with RAGE and how it forgets what textures look like as soon as you turn around.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My problem with Crytek specifically is that it thinks it can be another id and get a free pass on making sloppy, unplayable engines and have a half-hearted game for the elitists to sensually masturbate themselves to while the rest of the gaming industry is somehow expected to fix their broken shit for them, just like John Carmack has been getting away with for so many years.

Carmack tried it again with id tech 5 and got rightfully blasted for the mess it created with RAGE and how it forgets what textures look like as soon as you turn around.

You're confusing Crytek with Bethesda. I mean I haven't really played, well, anything by Crytek actually but Bethesda is notorious for their "sloppy, unplayable engines" and "half hearted games".

And that is why I mentioned about graphics that it is "not important enough by itself". You give it a purpose other than simply being there and looking pretty, and it will offer something.

Same goes with basically any other part of a video game. There's not many things that can carry a game by itself, even gameplay.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I'm sure I'm not. After the awful SP Demo for Crysis 1, I wrote a letter to Crytek, where after detailing all of the problems I had running their awful software in the first place, and then finally having a system powerful enough that should be able to run it and still feeling like it wasn't (seriously, how is it that its in-game framerate counter is telling me I'm peaking between 50 and 90 fps and yet it STILL feels like a slideshow, while Far Cry 2 on the same engine did ~25 but was smoother than anything?), I pretty much spelled out to Crytek that I wouldn't even so much as waste my time pirating their shit despite all the elitists and fanboys insisting that post-release patches for the full game addressed most of these issues, because I didn't feel like their shlock was even worth my hard disk space.

Bethesda is on my list too... I refuse to touch anything they make ever since Oblivion.

DiscostewSM

Trophies
Website
lazerlight.x10.mx
XP
Country
United States
It is very possible that the other next-gen consoles will not make a big leap either, since that kind of leap is expensive, and people aren't as willing anymore to fork over so much money. We have a glimpse of what the Wii U can do, but we have no idea what the next-gen Sony/MS consoles can do.

Reactions: 1 person
D

Deleted_171835

We have a glimpse of what the Wii U can do,
To be frank, we don't even have a good idea for the Wii U. The only game built for the ground up on the Wii U that we've seen is Lego City Stories. Everything else is either a port (Assassin's Creed 3), was a Wii game (Pikmin 3) or started development on the 360 (ZombiU). We should get our first look when Shinen's new game comes out, though.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To be frank, we don't even have a good idea for the Wii U. The only game built for the ground up on the Wii U that we've seen is Lego City Stories. Everything else is either a port (Assassin's Creed 3), was a Wii game (Pikmin 3) or started development on the 360 (ZombiU). We should get our first look when Shinen's new game comes out, though.

But really though, do you expect a generational gap ala PS2-PS3/Xbox-Xbox 360 or something more Gamecube-Wii here? Like I just don't think it's banking on power. If it was then we would probably have had tons of things coming out saying so. Like it worked last gen for Nintendo on the Wii so why wouldn't they go with a weaker (comparative to the next generation) yet affordable console now? It's not like saying "We need another Gamecube" is a bright strategy.

D

Deleted_171835

But really though, do you expect a generational gap ala PS2-PS3/Xbox-Xbox 360 or something more Gamecube-Wii here? Like I just don't think it's banking on power. If it was then we would probably have had tons of things coming out saying so. Like it worked last gen for Nintendo on the Wii so why wouldn't they go with a weaker (comparative to the next generation) yet affordable console now? It's not like saying "We need another Gamecube" is a bright strategy.
It worked because they had motion-controls (hadn't been done before on any mainstream product). It's arguable whether a tablet controller will be as appealing to the mainstream. Personally, I expect them to go the PS2 vs. Xbox route with the console not being as powerful as the PS4/720 but powerful enough to receive ports with some downgrades.

Regardless, it's silly to claim such a thing with no actual basis.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It worked because they had motion-controls (hadn't been done before on any mainstream product). Personally, I expect them to go the PS2 vs. Xbox route with the console not being as powerful as the PS4/720 but powerful enough to receive ports with some downgrades.

I'm not expecting most next generation consoles to be advertising for a screen on their controller.

I mean it's silly either way to claim the Wii U's power is this or that so why don't we leave it at that.

D

Deleted_171835

It worked because they had motion-controls (hadn't been done before on any mainstream product). Personally, I expect them to go the PS2 vs. Xbox route with the console not being as powerful as the PS4/720 but powerful enough to receive ports with some downgrades.

I'm not expecting most next generation consoles to be advertising for a screen on their controller.

I mean it's silly either way to claim the Wii U's power is this or that so why don't we leave it at that.
Not sure what a screen on the controller has to do with specs but okay.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that obvious. They are too busy trying to get SmartGlass and Vita interaction across. :unsure:

I meant it as a parallel to motion controls since you said the Wii sold in part because of motion controls.
Well this is meant that have the new thing and close all excuses/reasons devs have been talking about,
so I'm sure it would fall back too far. At least enough for future games.

akari212

Trophies
XP
Country
Cryengine 3 is a graphics library used on that game like Crysis. Dont let the name fool you since graphic libraries will always relies on Videocard's 3D reality technologies like PhysX, CUDA, Xenos, Hollywood, Flipper etc...

Eerpow

*swoosh*
Trophies
XP
Country

While a PS2 to PS3 sized jump is impossible for several reasons I'm not at all expecting a small generational leap like with the Wii.

One of the reasons is tech and price, we cant have consoles that are better than what the average PC can output.

Long wall of text explanation:
Iwata is saying the opposite, wide audience titles don't have the same appeal anymore, casual gamers are moving on and aren't as reliable as the core market.
He feels that the Wii failed and is guilty for the separation of the market, he further explains how gamers on their platforms while having a Wii also has another gaming system along with it for better hardware and online. Things they're trying to get right with the Wii U against other future consoles, along with more developers.

The Gamecube was by no means a failure though it pales in comparison to the massive sales the PS2 got.
The PS2 was one of the early systems of it's generation, it doubled as a DVD player (very important at this time), it had backwards compatibility, it was cheap, it had casual titles like the eyetoy and further down the line it was very easy to pirate games for.
Good sales from the beginning lead to developers jumping aboard, more developers lead to a great software library which ultimately lead to even more sales.

The Gamecube just played games, mostly first party ones because of the success the PS2 had with developers.

With the Wii U however, they're planning to have some of the success the Wii had by making titles like 2D Mario and Wii fit all this while making games that generally doesn't get that many good sales like Pikmin.
Pikmin is too tough of a game for the mainstream market, it's an RTS game, Mario on the other hand is a simple 2D platformer, a genre clicking well with casuals because of it's simplicity, while Nintendo could make it the hardest game in the series it would still be simple to control plus they also have the super guide thing.

Iwata's main goal according to him is to change the Wii brand among core gamers and still have some accessible games available but to a lower degree.

They spent an entire generation ignoring some of the franchises that made the Gamecube memorable, other times they simplified some games like Smash Bros and Mario kart making them have a wider appeal than before by adding tripping and whatnot.
Nintendo wants to move away from that, it's one of the reasons why Miyamoto at the Pikmin presentation said that Pikmin 3 was a deep experience with even more strategy elements than before.

Casuals are moving on to other things like smartphone games and the amount of core gamers is bigger than before.
Reliable core gamers are a better financial source than casuals this time around, well according to Nintendo at least, they have the data and I see no point in lying about it.

Anyway if the Wii U gets great sales from the beginning and more developers aboard because of that, I don't see how it could end up being a failure. I'm talking both financially and how the Wii failed in some aspects.

As of now we only have a small clue of it's power, Iwata says that the games displayed at E3 only reached halfway of what the console could do. Released (almost confirmed) specs tell us that it will be around 4x current gen in computing power, then of course it has much newer hardware so naturally it supports more features, better shaders etc.

Finally the Wii U is pushing more mature titles as seen in recent presentations and there's a reason why the name is Wii U, it's supposed to cater to every kind of gamer.
They won't be able to do this with a Wii like generational leap. The market has changed.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://youtu.be/ab8GtuPdrUQ +1