Crunchyroll brings its anime streaming service to the Nintendo Switch

asdik.png

Netflix still isn't on the Nintendo Switch, but at the very least, media consumers will be able to get their anime streaming fix with a new app that's just launched on the Nintendo Switch eShop. Crunchyroll, the anime-centered service, can now be enjoyed on your Switch, in both handheld and docked form. Offering currently airing shows like Attack on Titan Final Season, or completed shows such as Fate/stay Night, Crunchyroll allows you to stream anime for free, with the caveat of ads. There are also premium plans that start at $7.99 a month if you want to browse the full library of shows, both subbed and dubbed, with no interruptions.

Crunchyroll joins the likes of Hulu, Funimation, and YouTube, in terms of media streaming applications available on Nintendo's latest console. Netflix still lacks a release, which some have found irksome, given the streaming giant having previously released apps on both the Nintendo 3DS and Nintendo Wii U.

:arrow: Source

xkoeckiiej

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
They stopped with supporting the apple tv 3 out of the blue without any notice.
Asked them a quazillion times about it with vague answers not even stating they stopped support.
Crunchyroll is a garbage service.

edit; used to have a subscription for 40 bucks a year, changed payment info, with it i had to re buy (not renew) a whole subscription to 60 bucks a year. Despite that it would stay 40 when not changing payment info. ridiculous lmao

Last edited by xkoeckiiej,

lordelan

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well too bad I just stopped subbing to them :/ Took them WAY too long imho
While I love the idea behind Crunchyroll, it's not very user friendly imho. The experience is very different from using the app on a Fire TV, a mobile phone or a web browser.
The Fire TV app is the worst, as it jumps between quality levels and even aspect ratios from time to time, is laggy, buggy, wants me to put in my credentials every few weeks (that sucks on a Fire TV, really) and doesn't support multiple user profiles.

Still a nice touch to have it on the Switch I guess.
That's the way! (looking at you, Netflix and Amazon)

Lumince

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I love the idea behind Crunchyroll, it's not very user friendly imho. The experience is very different from using the app on a Fire TV, a mobile phone or a web browser.
The Fire TV app is the worst, as it jumps between quality levels and even aspect ratios from time to time, is laggy, buggy, wants me to put in my credentials every few weeks (that sucks on a Fire TV, really) and doesn't support multiple user profiles.

Still a nice touch to have it on the Switch I guess.
That's the way! (looking at you, Netflix and Amazon)
Even on mobile I would have these issues with quality tanking out of nowhere and requiring me to close and reopen the app. Its been a buggy mess on my devices & its just put me off from wanting to pay them for something that is half baked. Hopefully they make it better in the future, but I will be going elsewhere for anime from now on.

Reactions: lordelan

dragonblood9999

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have a subscription to them. I barely use it anymore. Also I don't remember the last time I paid for it. It's not attached to any of my CC but it still says I have premium.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if you have a switch running android then yeah
That would be abit tedious to do just to watch anime. The cracked ps4 version requires no PSN to have access. If someone could patch it the same way for a hacked switch then we wont get that annoying "Your offline" message. I tried to use crunchyroll on my emunand that has incognito, so apparently it was trying to connect to Nintendo services.

Delerious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Switch will probably last another 2-3 years, but it's just too little too late for this.

We're lucky if BotW2 gets released on the Switch although I'd bet it'll be a launch exclusive for the next Nintendo console.

BotW2 is still confirmed for 2022. Doubt Nintendo will be surprising us with any new consoles for a couple years, too, given we're still (very slowly) coming out of the chip shortage.

But yes, this is something that should have been done the first year or two of the Switch's release - along with Netflix, Prime Video, Disney+ and HBO Max - you know, all the streaming services that people commonly use that are on other consoles. WTF Nintendo?

• Wow
Reactions: Marc_LFD

Flaire

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That would be abit tedious to do just to watch anime. The cracked ps4 version requires no PSN to have access. If someone could patch it the same way for a hacked switch then we wont get that annoying "Your offline" message. I tried to use crunchyroll on my emunand that has incognito, so apparently it was trying to connect to Nintendo services.
Well it would have other uses than to just watch anime plus you'd have to be lucky I you don't have a Mariko switch.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well it would have other uses than to just watch anime plus you'd have to be lucky I you don't have a Mariko switch.
Other uses like what? recording anime? I have 2 hacked Switch actually, the cracked crunchyroll on the PS4 is based off the mobile android apk version which gotten cracked years back. The process can be done for the Switch, but I think ppl just don't want to be responsible in hacking an official app.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    You use paper towels too? :rofl2:
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Better keep the safe place 'safe'
    Bounty. The quicker picker upper? lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Aloe vera now with rgb
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    On a serious note, have you tested your ISP DNS answer time ?
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    Last time i've checked, my ISP was like 5/6 ms slower than Cloudflare x)
    yeah. I've tried changing dns too.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Check cpuid make sure ram sockets are detected
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    (and i'm fibered, 5gb shared downloads, 1gb upload)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or even in bios
    its mostly when starting firefox that it's noticible slower. Opening and loading the homepage. Tried fresh installs and all.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Knowing your system specs would help
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    if you're in win 11, have you checked which graphical processor Firefox was using ?
    after it's open, its a bit slower too at loading pages, but not as noticeable as the initial startup and homepage loading
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    can make a little difference
    You mean as in hardware acceleration on or off?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Went to make cup noodles, spilled boiling water on me then the kettle decided to pop
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't know why I saw a kettle with wifi
    Will try that now
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    ouch @K3Nv2 hope nothing's too bad !
    xda a good site. My go to site for phone shit. :)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Females have burnt me worse
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    females don't exist
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Tamales exist.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @ZeroT21, Tamales exist.