Status
Not open for further replies.

Weaselpipe

Erratic Temp user
Trophies
XP
Country
Give it time, people
Group: We have successfully booted ONE Rom!
Crowd: WhenCanWeBuyItHowMuchIsItAndCanItRunBattletoads?!?!

It won't kill the 3DS, as it's not finished yet. "this robot I'm building could kill me. Or it could collapse in a heap of rust. I don't really know yet"

Thrust

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Piracy debates are as bad as religious ones. You dont agree? Dont do it. Your preaching isnt gonna stop anyone else, they know fully well what they are doing and they are still doing it, so how is you telling them what they already know gonna change anything?

Anyway this still hasn't even been confirmed as real or not yet? I mean it certainly looks legit

mysticwaterfall

Streamforce Supreme Commander
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Summary of posts till now:

-This has not been confirmed as real or fake.
-No price or release information.
-This appears to essentially be using a rewritable 3DS card, that can hold 1 game at a time.
-Reminding of people this is how the original flashcarts worked.
-Only one game shown working.
-Speculation on if it would be possible to have a DS based homebrew that flashed the 3DS games off of an MicroSD card to the internal memory, similar to how the EZ3in1 works. There would be a switch that changed the card from DS to 3DS mode.
-Debate on piracy and why it will/won't kill the 3DS.

deathking

Trophies
Website
toxsic.com
XP
Country
United States
mysticwaterfall said:

-This appears to essentially be using a rewritable 3DS card, that can hold 1 game at a time.
-Speculation on if it would be possible to have a DS based homebrew that flashed the 3DS games off of an MicroSD card to the internal memory, similar to how the EZ3in1 works. There would be a switch that changed the card from DS to 3DS mode.
All that plus them telling suppliers that the cart should be ready in the next 2 months

Snailface

My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing
Trophies
Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
XP
I admit I'm not crazy about the thought of a piracy-only card this early in the 3DSs lifespan, but I will admit, it would liven up the temp and create more excitement around here!

And what's good for the temp is good for me.
biggrin.gif

@Foxi4 lol at that video "Aww man, crash and burn!" --who talks like that!
rofl2.gif

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
deathking said:
mysticwaterfall said:

All that plus them telling suppliers that the cart should be ready in the next 2 months

Where did you hear that?

Helper

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Before I start, yes, I realize this is pointless conjecture. To be fair, at least I'm not talking about how piracy will kill the 3DS and kittens and love.

If this is legit, and the method they (Crown3DS team) use is revere engineered, and the 3DS cart interface is sufficiently understood, and a 3DS game image can be unencrypted, I'd think it would be possible to intercept communication between the 3DS and the card. If you can intercept communication (in an unencrypted form), you can trap reads from specific memory addresses. If you can trap memory I/O, at the least you can in the 3DS's head. If there's a giant enough of a security hole, perhaps it would be possible to inject code and/or data. Of course, then the trick would be compiling 3DS code in the first place, what with there being no working toolkit, not to mention not even knowing all the specs of the 3DS.

Okay, now that all my lunacy is out of my system, I'll go back to my corner.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
DiscostewSM said:
cephalopoid said:
nano351 said:
Except the content is protected under the law. It's illegal to distrubute copies of it or use copies of it.

Right. But what is law but enforced moral and ethical codes? We break laws all the time because they are deemed "outdated," "insignificant," or, for one reason or another "disadvantageous." For example, I bet most of us on this board have littered at one point or another. Still more have probably rolled through a stop sign. And none of the "no cell phones while driving" have curbed cell use even though it has been proven time and time again that driving while talking on a cell phone (or texting!) is as bad as driving drunk.

So...."As long as you don't get caught, it's ok".......

If that is what a person believes than yes. Everyone had different morals, for example you could have a murderer who thinks that because he doesn't get caught he thinks he can murder and everything will be ok. My morals state that because it's there and because it's free and because of the economy here in the US and because so far I and most people I know have never gotten caught and because I don't care it's ok. Notice the key word "I" in that sentence. But enough with my morals argument.

ONTOPIC: I must say this is pretty interesting...I don't really feel the need of reading through 52 pages of stupid piracy arguments so if this sounds repeated...oh well. I don't think this will end up with a very big breakthrough...I mean this is basically just a rewritable game instead of a flash card and (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not necessarily knowledgeable on how this works and if this is how it works) it sounds as if it's still running signed and encrypted Nintendo software. Plus it's only run one game that we've seen/heard about, until it's confirmed it can play multiple games I'm just gonna call useless on this one until it either launches some sort of development for future 3DS hacking/homebrew or until it proves that it can play most if not all 3DS games without a plethora of errors.

ferret7463

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This card may allow those of us who know how manipulate software but not hardware, to run attempts at trying to decrypt the 3DS. Think of it as a basic loader.

sychotix

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ferret7463 said:
This card may allow those of us who know how manipulate software but not hardware, to run attempts at trying to decrypt the 3DS. Think of it as a basic loader.

Um.... no. From the looks of it, it is just emulating having the game cart put into the slot. It does not seem to be anything more than that.

impizkit

Lazy Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
sychotix said:
ferret7463 said:

Um.... no. From the looks of it, it is just emulating having the game cart put into the slot. It does not seem to be anything more than that.
I would agree to this entirely. It will be a while before we are doing anything more than 1:1 gaming. And manipulating what? If you know how, you should know by what we know so far, this card will have no posibility of such.

midnight1001

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I was just wondering say if the crown 3ds is legimate but it can only hold one-2 games at a time can it be updated in the future to hold more becuase they developed a menu or will you have to buy a whole new flashcart

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
midnight1001 said:
I was just wondering say if the crown 3ds is legimate but it can only hold one-2 games at a time can it be updated in the future to hold more becuase they developed a menu or will you have to buy a whole new flashcart

If they include microSD/HC support yes, if a save exploit is found you will likely be able to use the crown 3ds's microSD to boot homebrew by loading the Rom with a hacked save. If it's real though I see no point in making a menu to boot games though because:

1) If an exploit is found there's no guarantee it will have all the features of the 3ds unlocked. (Wi-Fi, 3D, etc.) Just look at the DSi game card save exploits...neither had Wi-Fi and they were pretty limited.

2) We get to see the banner of the game (not a big thing
tongue.gif
but still)

3) We get SpotPass support, and if a homebrew menu was developed that would take A LOT of research and hacking to decrypt, run, and present content properly to the Rom. But with running the games through the 3ds's menu that doesn't need to be hacked.

4) If a save exploit is found that's easier to detect as "hacked" than a cart like this, assuming it's built around a commercial cart (and likely is). So this cart will probably be more difficult for nintendo to block than DS/DSi/3DS cards because it likely will not contain any software that nintendo can detect as "modified" because it runs 1:1 copies, so there's really nothing software-wise distinguishing this cart from a retail 3ds cart unlike all other DS/DSi/3DS cards today.

I think this is a better idea than using save exploits because save exploits don't always contain all the features of the system (again, look at DSi Card exploits) and nintendo has proven to be able to detect save exploits, although we have not seen them distinguish a flash cart built around a retail cart, which I'd imagine would be harder to detect than a savegame hack.

morphius

The King of the Cosmos
Trophies
Website
pachimod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
gamedoctor9yt.jpg

Alot of you on this forum are probably too young to remember these. This is a 64 megabit gameboy color flashcart along with a xchanger. These cost about $175(1998ish dollars) or so if my memory serves correctly. The cart looked JUST like a gbc cart as far as the gbc could tell. There was no external storage, just 64 megabits

Heero808

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I always enjoy a history lesson, but did that mean that the cart was able to store the saves of multiple roms on the cartridge or did you have to backup your save before changing roms?

Would the Crown3ds need to back up its saves when changing games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4